My daughter is named Tali'Zorah. I suppose I'm crazy : )

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Sorry if this somehow belongs in gaming discussion.

Anyway, tomorrow my daughter is scheduled to be born. I'm freaking out and all that, but that's not why I'm here. Since day 1, her first name was always going to be Tali'Zorah. It's not necessarily "named after Mass Effect", but rather my wife fell in love with the name during our first playthrough of ME1 many years ago. Confused friends and relatives are told "we wanted a nice Quarian name" just because it's funny to see the confusion become worse.

All that aside, a couple of people have told me that we're nuts for giving a child that name. I like it a lot, I'm assuming she'll like it, and I don't think she'll get teased for it or anything like that. Out of curiosity, am I totally off base about that? For further discussion value, this thread can be about the entire concept of video games being used to inspire names.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Of all the fictional names I've heard, Tali is acceptably normal sounding. But you may want to advise her to keep the origins to herself on the playground. Kids can be cruel.

As for naming your child after a game in general, I mean, it's certainly not as bad as Dovahkiin (gawd), but, personally, I would choose a different game series. The ending to ME3 left a hole in my heart, and I've lost all love I had for series since then. But that's just me; she's your kid, name her whatever you want.

Also, again personally, I always preferred Liara over Tali.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Prediction: She changes her name once she is legally able to do so.

Do what you want, I guess if people came name their kids "North" or "Apple" Tali 'Zorah isn't that weird. I still think she will change it when she can though.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Are you naming her Tali'Zora or Tali?

Tali = Good (well, acceptable) idea
Tali'Zora = Terrible idea

I have no problem with people naming their kids after media and whatnot but choose something normal if you're going to do that. Parents think that naming their kids with a unique name let's them stand out and it does...but not in a good way. Your child is a person, not a fashion accessory or toy for you to break out at parties.

The kids gonna get teased and she's going to have to tell people how to spell her freaking name for her entire life (assuming she doesn't change it the second she's legally allowed to).

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
DrunkOnEstus said:
I like it a lot, I'm assuming she'll like it, and I don't think she'll get teased for it or anything like that. Out of curiosity, am I totally off base about that?
Tali is a fine first name. Tali'Zorah as a first name on the other hand will be made fun of (other kids will give grief to any name longer then 3 syllables, and it will make people who have played ME have to do a double take and ask "seriously? or are you just pulling my leg?").

I'm ok with video games/movies being used to give names, so long as the names aren't strange enough that the kid will get picked on for it.

That's my take on it.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
Tali seems fine as a first name. Zora is also a fine name. Perhaps you could split it into first and middle names? That seems like it would be a bit more acceptable. And I suppose the amount of teasing she gets would depend on how popular Mass Effect is in 5-10 years when she gets into school.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I would totally name my hypothetical Daughter Lufia. Good thing that anyone outside of very specific gaming circles would even know where that is from.

OT: you are crazy. But the world needs crazy. I suggest naming her Tali and her second name zorah. Also the kods on the playground won't even get it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I agree with the idea of making them both first and middle name rather than a single name.

Tali is a fine name (the spelling might throw some people off, but that happens all the time), but despite being my favorite character from the franchise, I have to echo the sentiments that Tali'Zorah might earn some unwanted attention. Or it's likely that it would always be shortened to Tali anyway.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
skywolfblue said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
I like it a lot, I'm assuming she'll like it, and I don't think she'll get teased for it or anything like that. Out of curiosity, am I totally off base about that?
Tali is a fine first name. Tali'Zorah as a first name on the other hand will be made fun of (other kids will give grief to any name longer then 3 syllables, and it will make people who have played ME have to do a double take and ask "seriously? or are you just pulling my leg?").

I'm ok with video games/movies being used to give names, so long as the names aren't strange enough that the kid will get picked on for it.

That's my take on it.
Yeah, I'm with you on the sentiment. Tali Zorah [last name here] would be better, as it will draw far fewer confused looks or kids' mockery. My wife and I thought carefully about our children's names before we committed to anything. We ended up with Malcolm Flynn and Darcy Rebekah. We wanted unique names but refuse to do stupid things like La-a (pronounced Ladasha) or whatever.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Uhm, not really sure I can back that. Tali, or Talia are not bad, but Tali'Zorah may not be the best of calls in the long run.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Tali is a reasonable-ish name.

Tali-Zorah is something you name you kid when you don't care. The name the kid is stuck with until they are an adult is not something you choose based on a game you like now, or something you think is funny. Hell, lots of games featuring ordinary human names, pick one of those.

Otherwise, lots of awkward conversations.

"I hate my name, nobody can spell it, lots of people picked on me, and I'm sure I didn't get that job because I sounded weird."
"Well, there was this videogame I liked when you were born, and I thought it'd be great to lumber you with a name from that..."

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I don't agree with this.
Mass Effect might be popular now, but how popular is it going to be when this kid is teenaged?

It would be like someone calling their kid "Duke Nukem".

Because Duke Nukem was popular once. Not now though.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I agree with the thread posters.

Tali = Good name

Tali'Zorah = Bad name

Your name is very important as it is pretty much the first thing someone will know about you besides your appearance.

Common names are fine, no one's going to take an immediate dislike to someone called Emma, or Jenny, but it can get a little frustrating when multiple people in a group have the same name as you.

Unique names are nice, but sometimes people just want to blend in with the crowd. There is a large probability she will grow to hate the name, not just because of it's difficulty in saying and spelling (Names with apostrophes in them are generally not good names) But also because she will have to explain that her name comes from an alien in a videogame. She will have to explain this to everyone she meets: Her teachers, friends parents, ministers/priests, prospective employers, boyfriends mother, dentist, etc.

and there will be people who look down on her and judge her (and you) in an extremely negative light because of this.

There's a happy medium between sharing the same name with half a dozen others in your friend circles, and having a name no one else in America has (or wants) Tali is good in our reality. Tali'Zorah belongs in a videogame.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I've got to go with the majority here: Tali good, Tali'Zorah bad.

The chances of kids her age recognising the reference will be slim. The chances of them being cruel regardless is rather high, I'd imagine. Kids can be very creative.

And yeah, it'll be even worse if she, or you, lets slip that her namesake is a video game character.

Edit: Besides, it's your fantasy, not your child's. It seems unfair to get her in on it. Have your wife change her name to Tali'Zorah if you want.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
My only girlfriend to date went by the name "Talia", so that's all good. I'd leave "Zorah" as the middle name, though.

It always seemed crass and gimmicky to me (and sometimes cruel) to name your child after a fictional character with a weird name, but I think you could pull this one off if you space it right.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
There are worse names than Tali'Zorah. Like Sharkeisha for example.

I'm in agreement that Zorah as a middle name sounds good as well.

The only name that could possibly be better than Tali Zora though, would be Liara :)