My Favorite Anti-Santa Christmas Movies

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
New Troll said:
No Reindeer Games?!? Oh my...

Every year at Christmas time I've watched Die Had for the last umpteen years. I also watch Bad Santa now too.
try out The Ref its good fun

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
Our family Christmas movie tradition is Apocalypse Now. I don't know why or how it started, but that's what we watch at Christmas. Cheery, aren't we? :p

Chris Striegel

Aug 25, 2010
Die Hard, absolutely.

Gremlins for sure. Whoever said Gremlins 2 was better is clearly smoking the funny cigarettes. The original is a legitimate horror/monster movie with a good story, good characters, and a very high fun factor(without sacrificing the slightly dark element or believability). The only thing missing is Phoebe Cates getting out of a pool and taking her bikini top off, but I guess since it's set in winter and all...Gremlins 2 is a kiddified, dumbed down puppet show, and I'd be fine with never watching it again.

Ghostbusters 2 is fantastic, and just as good as the original.

also, Better Off Dead, I don't think anyone mentioned that. Ricky's obnoxious mom speaking to the French girl, haha "Christmas. Chriiiistmaaaasssss."

I'll be watching all of these in the next week.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I was half-drunk when I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and it was one of the weirdest things I've seen. I don't remember all of it. I should really watch it again.

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
I've watched Bad Santa twice this year already, should've made the list. Or is it almost too Christmassy in a way?

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
No Santa Claus Conquers The Martians [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058548/]?

That's disappointing. :[

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
-snip for PM-
Oh my god! My girlfriend and I were just talking about how we wanted to find some great Christmas movies that go against all the tradition. This is exactly the kind of list we were looking for, thank you so much!

Also, don't you think Lethal Weapon should be there?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
In before any other Brit says "The Great Escape". I don't know what a film about prisoners of war is doing on the TV on Xmas day, but it is on every year without fail. Or at least, it used to be that way. Truth is it hasn't been on for so long, I had to buy the DVD just to watch it.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
tahrey said:
Die Hard +++++

But I think our dear old BBC has just trumped everything by trailering ... Armageddon as one of the big films in their Christmas lineup. I couldn't think of hardly anything less cheesily, cheerily Christmassy (I may be wrong, but don't they... like... fail in their mission?). Someone at the corp must have some serious yuletide issues they need to work out.
No.I suppose I'd better spoiler this in case there's someone who hasn't seen it but
in Armageddon Bruce Willis sacrifices himself to destroy the asteroid and save earth.You're probably thinking of Deep Impact(a similar movie released in the same year)where it's a comet and they manage to break it into 2 chunks and destroy the larger one but the smaller one hits earth and causes massive devastation

On the subject of Die Hard I remember watching it on tv one night and his infamous catchphrase was dubbed to become "Yippie-kai-ay Kemosabe"

I'd recommend "Dead Snow",a Norwegian horror movie(yes it's subtitled).All the snow makes it look christmassy but it's about Nazi zombies

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Monshroud said:
One of my favorite Anti-Christmas movies is The Ref with Dennis Leary. Leary plays a burglar who steals from a fancy house and after an alarm goes off his ride disappears, he is stuck in the town. He takes a dysfunctional family hostage, with the couple played by Kevin Spacey and Judy Davis.

The movie has a ton of foul language and great lines, it's a movie I watch every year at Christmas time.
I've got to agree here, The Ref is a great Christmas movie. I remember seeing it in the theater and when Denis Leary takes a bite out of the baby jesus from a Nativity scene and says, "Jesus!" I nearly died laughing.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm gonna have to say something bout 'The Ref',firstly, it's known as 'Hostile Hostages' in some countries, my UK VHS is that, also, don't be put off, it's not really anti xmas, or partilulrly dark, it's just highly angry and sweary in places, and also makes fun of the stressful side of a family xmas too. It's not reallt miserable or downbeat, and they don't all catch ebola in the last 5 minutes.

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
Can't believe you missed out Scrooged. It's hilarious, and distinctly anti-christmas, until the end. I watch it every year.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
My personal favourite is Gremlins, but Die Hard is right up there if for no other reason than it contains the best Christmas song ever: Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC.

ChillShark

Oct 13, 2010
Ah, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. One of my top ten films to watch ever!

Now picture a bullet in your brain.......
I'm talking money.....

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Heh, we actually just had an off-beat christmas movie night yesterday, no relation to this thread. You'd better believe we watched Die Hard.
We also tried to get a hold of "Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale" but couldn't find it anywhere, so we settled with
as a bit of an appetizer for the main feature.

Also good call on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Didn't even cross my mind to be honest, but I suppose it does take place around Christmas. That movie is so awesome.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I know you said to keep my opinion to myself, but I think I'm entitled to....
*sniggers* Sorry, sorry, couldn't keep that up.

Brilliant list, and great article. I'll admit to having a bit of a soft spot for Ghostbusters 2 myself. Putting Batman Returns up there basically makes the article bomb proof for me :p

Although it looks very dated now, sadly, I can ignore the repeated returns to the same bloody set of Gotham's town square in favour of that lonely yearning you picked up on (cursing myself for not noticing before) as well the amazing Michelle Pfeiffer, De Vito and Christoher Walken.

I've always liked Keaton's Batman- his Bruce Wayne seems like a proper corporate ball buster in his exchanges with Shreck while also being able to handle the darkness of the Batman.

I'm kicking myself that I've never seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang now...
And you've given me a hankering for some Die Hard now!