My Fetish: Fake Videogame Development

ommadawnyawn

Jun 17, 2013
Ezekiel said:
I played around in Unreal Engine 4 a little bit and found it quite daunting. Sure, it's easier than ever before, but unless you're a technical person it's NOT easy. It can be pretty boring, actually. It could take many years and a lot of money to get to the point where you can make the kinds of games you really want to make and you might have to rely on publishers who will make damaging demands and press you for time. Will it be worth it for a game you'll likely play a few times and then grow bored of? I don't know. I don't really like the video game industry.
I haven't but many of the ideas the guy has can be done in 2D via game maker studio or unity, and at least the sooner is relatively easy to work with, with a lot of tutorials and even solid, ready-made engines for some genres like platformers that can be built on.

"Will it be worth it for a game you'll likely play a few times and then grow bored of?"
Having made one game you have a basis and most of the knowledge to make another, hopefully better one in less time, or you can not see the one you made as a static work and just keep adding to it based on feedback, with patches or new episodes. Don't give up so easily, man :)

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Ezekiel said:
SweetShark said:
Ezekiel said:
I do that. This is my dream game that I've been writing off and on for two years:

https://bn43.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/my-game/

But knowing nothing is gonna come of it sometimes demotivates me from working on it for long periods of time.
AH! Thank you for showing me your work!
I will read it and comment for your work or I will ask for some question [if I have any].
Cheers!
I'd appreciate that, although it's really quite specific to my tastes, so I'm not sure how you'll feel about it.
I just read your Post about your game and it is interesting.
Like another user said already, it seems like you took heavily from Demon/Dark Souls game merchanics.
I love also the realistic approach when someone receive damage to different body areas.
But I will admit I am a little sceptical about the sleep part of the game. It sound indeed the need to make your character to rest so it can health and repear her armor, but I am very sure many players would want to play more hours than the game suggest.
Also what kind of variety of enemies you dream to have? From what I read it seems they will be only the possessed humans and demons.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
SweetShark said:
Do you know other awesome people who have also shared their own Dreams Games with us?
That sounds like a very niche thing to specifically dedicate creative energy to. We all do it in our heads sometimes, but I'll be hard pressed to find people who actually create anything about it.

On that note, when I was in New Zealand in 2008, I came up with a game concept inspired by the Maori painting style and wood carvings. It was a first-person survival horror/lite RPG (think Condemned) where you shipwreck on an island and try to discover its mysteries. The wreck of the ship would serve as the hub, where you'd gather resources and build shelter with the other survivors, while the other areas of the island would offer exploration and the meat of the game. Kind of a mix between Condemned, Far Cry and Elder Scrolls. I thought it was kinda cool, at the time at least. The Polynesian aesthetic and setting are criminally underused, and would lend itself excellently to various bizarre scenarios.