My first RTS

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Gamer137 said:
Starcraft. The original starts off easy at the beginning of each episode, and the learning curve is very accurate. The real challenge comes from the expansion pack, so the original 30 missions wron't force you to be a pro or anything. Maybe the last one though.
This. It is one of the best ones out there, and the campaigns are very newbie-friendly.

keyton777

Aug 14, 2008
command and conquer red alert, any of them
controls are basic, and the enemy AI wont pound too hard on easy mode, even in the single player game

mtk2a

Sep 11, 2008
Barry93 said:
Warcraft 3, C&C Generals: Zero Hour, Age of Empires II, Homeworld

They're all old but they're better then the crap nowadays imo.
This.

Stay away from trash like Halo Wars, that is not any way to represent the RTS genre.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
World in Conflict is definetely easy to learn but still fun. Plus, the multiplayer games have up to 16 players, meaning one noob won't ruin the game, and you have plenty of opportunity to learn from better players. Plus it gets rid of a lot of the complicated base building and resource managing.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Starcraft, Warcraft, or Dawn Of War. All those are pretty good if your starting out.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Pyon said:
Ive been wanting to get into RTS games but theyre rather intimidating. All the top titles seem to be too "hardcore." Can you guys recommend a good game with a relatively gentle learning curve?
May I ask what you find most difficult about them? If it's managing a lot of units then I'd recommend something different than if you're having trouble with micro-managing your units (using their skills effectively). Or if they're too fast paced there are slower ones out there. Maybe you're having issues with base building? Again, dunno.

Anyways I'll put forward some recommendations.

Old Titles (cheap or free)
No doubt Warcraft 2 might be a good starting point, put it's really showing it's age. You can also download the original Command and Conquer for free (they released it as freeware) but it looks even worse than WC2. If graphics matter to you these games might be too old for you.

Starcraft is an okay choice. The single player campaign will lull you into the basic game mechanics, but online play is just full of competitive (read: obsessive) Koreans who can whip your ass before you can say "Kimch'i". Starcraft can get quite complicated, but the beginning of the game will hopefully train you for that.

Newer Titles (last 10 years)
Command and Conquer: Generals has pretty simple gameplay. The campaign also had a very nice difficulty curve.

Dawn of War was a pretty good game. Things certainly GOT complicated, but stuff starts off quite smoothly. It's expansions also make for a very complete warhammer 40k game if you're into it.

Command and Conquer: 3 is a pretty (graphically) game and again had a very nice, even easy, campaign. I remember a few parts got frustrating, but the formula of the C&C franchise has really not changed much since the first game. If you're having issues dealing with large numbers of units though, this game is not ideal. C&C games are also quite fast paced, so be warned!

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 everything applying to C&C 3 above applies to this game. However, this game is a lot more campy and light hearted. For instance japan has giant mechs and a commander unit who is a psychokinetic school girl (think Akira). Russia literally has bears, and the allies have agents which sound a ton like Sean Connery (and look like James Bond). If you wanted to play a new C&C game I'd recommend this one, but that's a matter of taste.

Current (recently released titles)
The only simplified RTS out recently I can think of is Dawn of War 2. If you're having issues managing troops and base building this one is probably right up your alley. The game is squad based so you control one squad like a single unit, and there are not very many squads to manage usually. The game also has NO base building. The game DOES get complicated in a tactical sense though. Cover matters a great deal and there are "weapons platform" units which have a limited firing arc and setup/teardown time. The single player for this game also does very little to prepare you for multiplayer, but I find it enjoyable.

Thegoodfriar

Apr 15, 2009
Dawn of War 40k is great, and pretty easy to pick up.

World in Conflict is good as well.

If you are new try to stay with games that are low micro (individual troop management) , and low resource management. The more tactical games are where to start.

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
Age of Empires 2 is a basic RTS, good mechanics that stood the test of time. natural resource management, decent unit controll.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I'd say the Red Alert series, it uses simple build systems and army management.

My personal opinion: Halo Wars is crap. RTS games belong on the PC, not consoles.

Andey

Apr 29, 2009
Halo wars is really simple from there move to warcraft three or dawn of war then to something like starcraft

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
GodsOneMistake said:
Halo Wars? I don't play many RTS's but Halo Wars is about as simple as they get
/runs to the nearest landfill, and fills it with vomit

Halo Wars is shit

the only answer to this question is StarCraft. you can pick it up for $20 as a battle chest, giving you the single greatest gaming experience up until you play Unreal Tournament 2004. Starcraft is also the only RTS other then C&C going to be named on this list, the others fall into the other strategy catagories

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Demigod, maybe.

Easier, especially for newbies to the genre - more RPG/RTS hybrid, but this means you have less micromanagement to do whilst still having impressive battles. However, be aware that at the time of writing, the multiplayer code still isn't quite 100% perfect, although its a hell of alot better than it was at launch.

RapidCrash

Apr 30, 2009
CounterAttack said:
My personal opinion: Halo Wars is crap. RTS games belong on the PC, not consoles.
Personally I liked Halo Wars just a little bit. Like I played the campaign and then a few skirmish's and I have to say I did have some fun, but it really is nothing that I would play any more. This is of course coming from someone who has been playing starcraft for quite some time now, but not many RTS games really tend to appeal to me other than that. Warcraft III was also good, but some game mechanics really turned me down on that, while Age of Empires II and Age of Mythology I still like to play as well.

MarxonSR1

Apr 28, 2009
Age of Empires was my first and it is awesome not the best but I love it, that may be partially because I love learning about history. If you want to learn about history, get Age of Empires, any of them.

Also do not get Halo Wars because it can summed up in the words, make tanks, CHARGE! It's so simple it doesn't really deserve to be called an RTS.

I personally value a game with more tactics, and possibly a better storyline.

I would recommend either Age of Empires as it can be played with relative simplicity, but also Dawn of War can also follow the same idea. Easy to learn hard to master.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Rise of Nations has an extremely gentle learning curve---I came to it after not having played an RTS since Warcraft 2 and picked it up very easily.

steve141761

Sep 17, 2008
Gamer137 said:
Starcraft. The original starts off easy at the beginning of each episode, and the learning curve is very accurate. The real challenge comes from the expansion pack, so the original 30 missions wron't force you to be a pro or anything. Maybe the last one though.
Even the last one is pretty easy, also, just tack on to the list of starcraft and brood war: Warcraft 1-3 and expansions. Cause blizzard knows how to make games accessible to everyone...
Just look at WOW...