My first shiny!

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
So, after playing Pokemon on and off - I've owned a few games, not many and usually only every few generations did I buy one - I finally saw and caught my first shiny yesterday.

Yup.

SoulSilver, I was doing the Radio Tower Team Rocket thing, shutting down the generator.

... It was a goddamned Voltorb. My first shiny was a stupid blue Voltorb.

At least I caught it, I guess...?

I am somehow very disappointed.

What was yours?

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I've played every generation at least once, and all I've gotten was a Wurmple or something. A Voltorb would be pretty sweet.

Do shinies stay shiny when they evolve?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I've only ever found four random shinies, the first was an Onyx in Victory Road waaaay back in the original Gold version. The second was a Fearow in Ruby version, that one was kind of awesome. The third was a useless ugly Bidoof and the most recent was a useless ugly Patrat. Out of the whole two Pokemon found on that particular route, it had to be the Patrat, why couldn't it have been the Purrloin?
[sub]Not bitter, not bitter, not bitter[/sub]

Launcelot111 said:
I've played every generation at least once, and all I've gotten was a Wurmple or something. A Voltorb would be pretty sweet.

Yes they do, so if you're lucky enough to get a shiny Charmander for example, you'll have an awesome black Charizard.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I've had a few down the years, the ones I remember are Machop and Geodude.

Also saw Wally get a shiny Ralts during a Pokemon speedrunner's stream. Unfortunately it was only shiny for that first encounter, since all the other battles are "scripted"

Captcha: who am I

Well apparently if you need to ask captcha, you might well be Johnny the tackling Alzheimers patient.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
First shiny I found was a blue ditto in LeafGreen. The awesome part about that is sometimes, when it transformed, it would stay shiny. And not only would it stay shiny, but the colors were actually different than the standard shiny colors. For example, a shiny Dragonite is normally green, but the shiny ditto transformed into a Dragonite would be black. It was badass as fuck. Unfortunately, they have removed this from the Generation IV games, making it much less awesome. I don't know yet if it's in the Generation V games or not.

The second shiny I got was in my Diamond version. It was a shiny Magikarp. It looks cool as fuck. Unfortunately, I can't evolve it, because the one shiny that you're able to catch for sure just happens to be the one that I would get from evolving my Magikarp.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
At Least, you caught it. The only one I've seen was a stupid shiny wingull that I accidentally knocked out :(

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
I've had a shiny Ferret and a shiny Tentacool(cruel) in my career. This makes me want to pick up the games again...

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Never had a shiny, but one of those green psychic bird things of mine did have Pokerus once.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Played Red and Blue almost yearly a few times for 10 years...
Silver at least finished 6 times
Ruby maybe 2 or 3 can't remember and never met a shiny (except for the Gyarados in the lake ofc)

woodsymoments

Oct 21, 2009
On pokemon gold i found a shiny Sneasel was so happy thatit became a main pokemon in my team started out that way just so i could show it off but ended up being one of my best pokemon.

I hada couple others on gold but never on any other pokmnon game i think i just got all my luck on gold.

Stinovitch

Apr 23, 2013
I think it was a Seaking in platinum, I'm not sure. It's been a while since I played pokemon...

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
My very first was an Origin Forme Giratina in Platinum. I instantly quit my challenge of catching him with a Poke Ball and used my Master Ball on him. I've never encountered a shiny ever since.

Jmp_man

Apr 24, 2011
Bidoof lv.2... FML. I put him in the PC and tried to forget about him.

TizzytheTormentor said:
In Silver, I had a shiny Furret, that was awesome

In Soul Silver, I had a shiny Raichu and Crobat, all of them are some of my favorite Pokemon.

My friend had like 9 shiny Pokemon for bragging rights.
Did your friend use the (IDK what it was called but...) item to search for Pokemon in the grass in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?I believe that if you were to build up a big enough "combo" you could max out your chance to find a shiny at ~2%.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Eclipse Dragon said:
I've only ever found four random shinies, the first was an Onyx in Victory Road waaaay back in the original Gold version. The second was a Fearow in Ruby version, that one was kind of awesome. The third was a useless ugly Bidoof and the most recent was a useless ugly Patrat. Out of the whole two Pokemon found on that particular route, it had to be the Patrat, why couldn't it have been the Purrloin?
[sub]Not bitter, not bitter, not bitter[/sub]

Launcelot111 said:

Yes they do, so if you're lucky enough to get a shiny Charmander for example, you'll have an awesome black Charizard.
So I shouldn't tell you I got a super Smexy Shiny Purrloin?
Other than that only have a shiny Haxxorus and Garchomp (which is really stupid cause it looks the EXACT same).

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
How many people opened this thread thinking that it was about buying your first luxury item?

OT: When I played Pokemon there wasn't any such thing, so I would have to say that I am still waiting.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
My first shiny pokemon was a yellow Floatzel. It's funny it took me years to find one and then I find two more shinies within months (a blue koffing in fire red and the catipillar from black in green and red)

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I've played every generation, with well over a hundred hours played in each, and I've never seen a wild shiny ;_;

I envy you, since even Voltorb is kinda badass as a shiny.