My friend thinks I'm stupid for choosing Arkham City over Battlefield 3

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Mogget128723 said:
Battlefield 3 and Cawaduty 3 are going to be exactly the same: short, gray-brown, generic shooters with an overemphasis on multiplayer and great big stiffies for themselves.

Arkham City, if it's anything like Arkham Asylum, is going to be an epic, intense, and dark ride that keeps your heart-rate screaming even when you're not in combat. The choice is pretty much a no-brainer, so make sure he knows he has no brain.
You sir,pretty summed up the word by word exactly what I wanted to write so kudos to you and damn you for ninja.:p

OT: Ignore your friend and get Arkham City like us "normal" people.^^

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I doubt this guy had even heard of Battlefield before 3, since most people seem to jump on it now instead of earlier.

If that is true, his reasoning is "I am sure a game from a series I've never played, that hasn't had a main series sequel since 2005, will be better than the game you're getting; a sequel to a great game you've played. Because that sucks by default."

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
sounds like my whole class, you just had to see their faces when I said I had no intention of buying Battlefield.

Yanzo

Sep 12, 2010
IF he actually had a valid reason like "I'm not a fan of being the most badass character ever and sneaking about scaring the life out of 1's and 0's" i.e. the gameplay and plot/character then maybe it wouldn't be as bad; though it seems he's just an idiot who is like "nope, game sucks cuz it sucks" i.e. the logic of a complete twatmouth.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
Hit him upside the head, but not because of his choice of games, because he is trying to influence your choice in games in a semi passive aggressive way (or at least it seems that way from the tidbit of information you've given us), although you could just buy BF3 after AC if it's the fact he wants you as a squad mate.

As for your other question, as a brony I deal with this on a daily basis, I just always remember that if they choose to be ignorant, it's their loss.
Same goes for games, same goes for people who won't buy anything except a specific brand of product etc etc etc.
I don't understand the mindset since I'm always open to new ideas, view points and/or experiences but hey, to each their own.

EDIT: I should probably clarify I will be getting AC and BF3 so don't interpret that first line as BF3 hate

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
Well, he is being stupid, but I would get BF3 too. Unless Arkham City has completely done away with the action bits and the annoying comic book references I am never going to understand, making it really hard to get trophies, even with guides (trophy hunter here :D). I'm sure they will both be great games, but I know which one I'll be getting.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
BF3 sucks because you the building get destroyed---Random guy
it makes the game more realistic and interesting getting cover under rubble is cool.----Me
BF3 is not realistic, COD is thou the stuff that happens in BF isn't even plausble-Random guy

yeh i don't like people being so ignorant and stupid

Balls Mandingo

Apr 15, 2009
This is what I say any time I don't care to continue a conversation/have an argument. "Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is wrong"

I find people tend to argue less when faced with insanity or close mindedness that's larger than their own

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
"Good thing I don't rely on the opinions of the willfully ignorant then."

Either way, his loss. You get Batman in a bigger game derived from the best Batman game ever. He gets to run around in another military shooter. You win.

WaffleCopters

Dec 13, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
Battlefield 3 has stopped trying to be its own thing and is trying to be more like Call of Duty with all the good bits taken out, like how Call of Duty wants to be Halo with all the good bits taken out.

Arkham City has Batman in it.

Is there really any contest?
Actually COD was trying to be Medal of Honor, and Battlefield 3 doesnt feel very much like CoD IMO, either that or im playing it wrong :\

Apr 5, 2008
Battlefield 3 is another generic, brown modern war shooter with military jargon up the kazoo. They are a dime for a dozen, samey, bland and uninsteresting.
Arkham City has Batman, Catwoman, Two-Face, Riddler and Penguin among others. Batman is cool. Ergo it is the correct choice. Also this.
2xDouble said:
Deploy your Bat-anti-fool spray (Mace works nicely) and then punch him.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
You probably need better friends...

Seriously?
I think he is jealous and can't stand that your manlihood just surpased his own thrice.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Battlefield will *most probably* be better than previous battlefields & CoD. But other games can be more fun just because they're a more different style of game than the usual FPS. My personal GotY is Skyrim because it's a renovation of RPGs and TES.

Tell him it's an opinion, not fact, that you think Batman is more fun than Battlefield because it's straying from common practice. Besides, almost 50% of the games on the shelves these days are "modern day FPS's" so there's not much change or variation in then any more; thus each one gets less fun over time. That doesn't mean one game can come along and steal us all away, but other games can be more fun to individual people.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
It is unfortunate because you're friend is correct, BF3 with be substantially better then some Batman game, and I don't plan on buying either.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
BF3 will be just like every other shooter, in-fact it has been said it's campaign is extremely linear akin to COD. So really, we've seen it all before. Sure it will be pretty but it won't bring anything new to the table.

Batman on the other hand (other than it's predecessor) is a fairly original and unique game with an actual story and plot other than 'SHOOT PPLZ FOR AMERICA HOORAH'.

At the end of the day the games shouldn't be compared, they are just too different.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
For gods sake, why are people so extreme? Can't somebody like BOTH games? I think Battlefield 3 will be fantastic, and I think Batman will be fantastic! Does that mean I think one will be better than the other?

No it bloody doesn't.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
cnaltman62 said:
My little brother refuses to play any games that his friends aren't playing. And all they play is CoD and Halo (two of the most overrated series ever, imo). To paraphrase our exchange when he saw me playing I don't remember what:
"That game doesn't have multiplayer?"
"Nope."
"Wow, that's so dumb."

I proved him wrong when I got him Mass Effect for his birthday last year. Took him a couple months to try it, but now he freaking loves Mass Effect. He even ended up buying 2 on his own, and we're both counting down the days until 3.
That is an awesome story. I would like to introduce you to my sister so she can stop playing Call of Duty.