My friend's cousin is a Call of Duty fanboy

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
cheesyman987 said:
My friend is a very nostalgic and very passive person. He was best friends with his cousin when they were younger, and he's been trying to keep his cousin as a friend, and trust me when I say he will do anything to maintain a friendship. We hadn't spoken in about 2-3 years and he suddenly calls to ask if he can go to martial arts class with me. He is very dedicated to friendship (if only he was that dedicated to study, he might be doing better), and he wants things to be like they were in the good old days.
Ok, the first thing I think needs to be explained to your friend is that friendship is a completely subjective thing, and in fact as a general rule your friendship with your cousins will almost certainly deteriorate rapidly as you go through your teens. Simply because, contrary to popular belief blood is not thicker than water. He played with his cousin when he was younger, and they had fantastic fun because their interests back then were so simple; cartoons, lego, chocolate, mud and running about (because every boy under 10 years of age has pretty much the same interests.)
Now that their personalities are developing to become a more independent person it is stupid to think that they will still remain friends just because they are related. They need common interests, a similar sense of humour, to be interested in what the other has been doing, just the same as any other friendship, and from your posts it is clear that that is simply not happening.

If your friend cannot be friends with his cousin unless he spends all his money and time doing something he does not like to do, and if your friends' cousin does not want to compromise and do anything else, then, even if he buys COD and indulges in his cousins wants, the friendship is a complete waste of time and will have absolutely no redeeming factors. Your friend won't enjoy himself, his cousin won't really be enjoying your friends company and will treat him like crap anyway and come to resent him.

The best thing for your friend to do is to leave your cousin alone. It doesn't sound ideal but there is no magic option that will rekindle a childhood friendship because that friendship was solely based off them both being dumped together during family things and having to entertain themselves together, which worked because they had such limited, universal interests.

It allows your friend to buy the game he wants and spend time with people who appreciate him, and it allows his cousin to make friends who also enjoy playing COD, and to play his game until he gets it out of his system. You can't be friends with everyone in the world, nor should you.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Arrange for a paint balling expedition and shoot his cousin several times in the nuts, he wont want to see another gun virtual or real for a long time.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
If Shadow of the Colossus is gay then I will gladly admit to be a flaming homosexual because that game is a work of art. I'd just distance myself from him. I like when people say great games are "gay" as I know their ignorance is preventing them from enjoying something truly wonderful. Their loss, not mine.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Sounds like there's not anything to base a friendship on. Friendship is give and take, and this guy seems too selfish to be anyone's friend. I'd say it's time to cut it off for a while and see if he snaps out of it.

TheBritishAreComing

Jul 19, 2011
Gunner 51 said:
You could always respect his choice to play CoD. I know you don't like it, but your chum's cousin has every right to play what he likes. Take heart, for he'll grow out of it in his own time.
It's one thing to only play CoD, there's no problem with that. To absolutely refuse to play anything else and call other series gay is being an immature prick.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
it,s your stuff so refuse the little dipshit!
HE want,s to play COD that,s not you're problem but his problem.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
TheBritishAreComing said:
Gunner 51 said:
You could always respect his choice to play CoD. I know you don't like it, but your chum's cousin has every right to play what he likes. Take heart, for he'll grow out of it in his own time.
It's one thing to only play CoD, there's no problem with that. To absolutely refuse to play anything else and call other series gay is being an immature prick.
Very true, he is being immature. It's the gaming equivilent of being a fussy eater.