My Game Just Screwed Me Over

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
I was playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein and there is a mission where you arent allowed to be detected (sneaking into a rocket base from memory).

I finally reached the gateway into the base that lead to the truck i had to sneak on to. I quick saved my game and 2 seconds later alarms go off in the base - Mission Failed.

Game reloads to my quick save. Alarms go off - Mission Failed.

etc. etc.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
The most recent has been Dead Island.

I was playing online with my uncle when a zombie rounded a corner charging straight for me, soon as I throw my best machete at it the game freezes and my PS3 crashes forever robbing me of my best weapon.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Brown Cap said:
You kidding me? I've tried three times over the course of some years (or however long it's been since it came out) to 100% Fallout New Vegas. Except Every Time I reach level 28 (or whatever) on my way with every companion's story filled out, Every faction completed completely (Brotherhood, Boomers, Clubs, etc...) to the final mission I get the PS3's "Yellow Light of Death" and get my hard drive wiped. Three Times. Yup. So much for THAT aspiration...
Does this exclusively happen with New Vegas? That kind of scares me, I'm a completionist and I don't think I could beat the game without maxing out.

Suncatcher

May 11, 2011
Stuff like that's happened to me several times, but the one that leaps immediately to mind is from New Vegas.

I'd been using a combination of autosaves and quicksaves (I have good quicksave reflexes from Morrowind and other games that don't bother to bail you out if you forget to save for a few hours). I was on the Strip, with Cass at my side, going to visit the NCR representatives there. I went through two doors on the way in, and quicksaved right before a conversation because it had some big decision in it I might want to go back on in a few minutes... and Cass starts shooting. Just murdering the NCR soldiers around me, despite my having a perfect Idolized reputation before that. ED-E joins in... it's a massacre, my reputation is ruined, and several big quests are broken. No problem, just reload, and either avoid whatever triggered that glitch or wait for a patch, right? But nothing I can do since my earliest recent save can prevent it, and my last named save was like, 30 hours of gameplay ago.
I ended up not playing for a few weeks, then just restarting with a new character.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
New Vegas does crap like that to me about every third step.

I really dislike this game, which surprised me because 3 was awesome. But my OCD will not let me leave a game unfinished. So I'm on my fourth character to just try and beat the thing and...Grr.

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
The xbox version of Oblivion has a "bug" that makes it impossible to finish the thiefs guild, that's all I got.

As many other have said, when it comes to problems like these: PC > Consoles (I mostly play on PC)

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
First rule of a Fallout game: Save often and on multiple files :p

I learned that in New Vegas when i had just left a settlement to walk around and collect those star bottle caps. I'll just thank god for autosave in that because it randomly froze up on several occasions. These were just minor screw-ups though.

The biggest one i think i've had was when AC: Brotherhood suddenly crashed on me during loading so i had to reboot the console. When i turned it back on i'd lost about 30 of those damned flags, 4 feathers, 3 DNA sequnces (100% synch!), and 6-7 hours of game time. Pissed me off bigtime, and i didn't return to that game for a while.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
In Half-Life 2 episode 1 I saved my game after a pretty intense gunfight, which left me with 8 health, and then promptly died to a sniper bullet. When I reloaded the save I found that I had actually saved a mere moment before the sniper fires, and that because I had saved in the open it was basically impossible for the sniper to miss, meaning that every time I loaded the game I would die within approximately 1 second. At least the previous save wasn't too far back.
I had something like that with Halo 3. Me and some friends were going for the "Annual" vidmaster achievement. We had the ghosts and were racing along, and obviously when one of you died, it counted as all of you dying and reloaded the checkpoint. So the ground was falling away from us, and my friend was a bit further back due to having crashed into a wall. So the ground falls away, and he dies. It reloads. We'd just gotten a checkpoint a few seconds before he fell to his death. Not enough time for him to catch up and escape.

We were so near the end, too...

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
GTA 1 - the original. On the third level (the first of the second city) I had the required cash to finish the game (the red arrow should point to the exit) but because I was on a mission it didn't come. I had something like 6 lives and I died and lost them all trying to finish the mission so I could move onto the next level. Suffice to say by the time I was on my last (and second last) life I was fucking pissed.

Incidentally, in GTA1 there were no save points and the level was about 2 hours long.

I had to walk away from it at that stage. I did go back later and finish it but it was infuriating at the time.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Playing Pokemon Red and the batteries in your GameBoy give up. 'Nuff said!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Screamarie said:
So as I've mentioned a couple of times here on the forums, I'm currently playing Fallout 3. It's a lovely game, lots of fun, and it's really cool how it's blended lots of different genres and playstyles in a single game.

But...it just screwed me over.

This part contains spoilers, so I'll put it in a tag, but essentially a mechanic of the game has left me unable to continue.

So I had cleared out grayditch, paid Moriarty for info about my dad, the thieving bastard, and I had finished the first two chapters of Moira's survival guide. I decided to wrap it all up and get the third chapter of the guide finished and done with.

I had headed to Rivet City to find out about it's history. I had been told that if I wanted the REAL history I needed to head to the other side Rivet City, the broken half of the ship. Since I didn't have 100 at my lockpicking skill I was SOL and had to use an underwater doorway.
I quickly tried to swim down and into the water and to the door. In my opinion those swimming controls kind of suck, but that's just me.

Anyways I get through the door...and all of a sudden I'm running out of oxygen and I don't have enough oxygen to get to the surface of the water. It didn't say I was running out of oxygen before I hit the door and I admit I wasn't paying enough attention to the meter...but because the game autosaves every time I go through a door...the game has saved at the exact moment before I die...

I hadn't saved in a while simply because I hadn't thought to, I was in a groove, you know how it is, and so I had been forgetting to save...and now I've lost between 5 and 8 hours of work. Fuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkk. So the game has screwed me over and now I have to start WAY the hell back at a much earlier save and I'm having a hard time getting up the gumption to find it worth it. -_- *sigh*

So let's talk about our gaming woes. When has a game screwed you over?
To think that such problems are fairly common, and could be so easily fixed by the game keeping your last two auto-save files.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
I recently had something happen in Dungeon siege 3 I had just obtained reinhart which was my last companion when the game started going really really slowly then crashed so I reloaded the save before I got him same problem tried every other save and they were all corrupted I even got rid of the updates and reinstalled on 360 to no avail so I gave up 8 and a half hours in.

Persona 4 screwed me over quite annoyingly in Yukikos castle stage when you face the mini boss knight character he attacked first getting a critical on both my characters then following up and almost killing me next turn he criticals both again and follows up and kills me putting me back about 4 hours I was not happy. I did try again and this time he was a pushover thankfully.

I remember my friend had a strange glitch on HL 1 after the train sequence when the doors are about to open the person who opened the doors would die for no reason thus meaning he was trapped right at the very start of the game. He reinstalled and still kept getting this problem apparently he was finally able to play the game years later after getting a new PC and installing it on that although I have no idea how this would have solved it but apparently it did.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Almost finished a level with 0 detections when a clipping issue caused me to fall 100 feet into a crowd of guards. You can't reload from checkpoint to get 100%, but restart the mission. Gah.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I learned long ago to make different saves at regular intervals just to avoid getting screwed like so many people have.
Gothic bugged out on me when I was using 1 save for that playthrough. I only used that one save, so the whole game (15 hrs at min) was wrecked.
Ever since, I use different saves. I do this to the point that when I was playing DX:HR I constantly had to erase old saves because it ONLY gave me 100 of them.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Skyrim.

Stupid werewolf stupid Companions stupid Companion quests stupid Vikas stupid Vikas quest that quits every time I step out of the door of the hall stupid glitch that has everyone saying I've got a companion with me when I don't stupid Mr. Makt for not saving just before talking to Vikas stupid internet fixes not working (and I've tried all of them that I've found) stupid can't get married (I have to say that because Mrs. Makt might read this post and if she saw "On the bright side, I can't marry anyone." and be slightly annoyed with Mr. Makt) stupid Skyrim.

ARGH.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
ZOOT: I was certain my 8 year old son had used keys in one dungeon out of order, making the game impossible to finish from that point. I later read on this forum that was a flaw in the game.

Viridian

Jan 25, 2012
My experience was with Halo 3. Can't remember which level, but I hit a checkpoint while driving off of a cliff.

Other than that, an almost-screwed-me-over time was with Dark Souls, when I was cursed twice and had to get out of the area without getting hit.

MidnightThunderBoy

Feb 24, 2010
Viewtiful Joe on the game cube, getting a decent v run threw it on V-Rated mode and then trying to get threw the second to last level were you have to fight all 5 previous bosses and then fire leo with out stopping and with out health pick ups, that was hell to get threw with out raging

After that its generally any sort of game were you have prepared yourself as much as possible, ground your way to a decent level, got a the best armor, sword, shield, gun etc for the level you are able to get to, got all your states to there highest point, Feel like your really ready to take on the higher level of the game or the stronger new area and BANG, killed buy the very first thing you encounter -_-

Oh and now that i think about it Asuras Wrath, having not really followed the game but knowing about it i thought it looked like a fun, mindless bayonetta, DMC kinda game i could enjoy a few hours of brutal smashing and killing in, not a interactive anime were every so often the game would throw me a button to push or give me a few enemies, probably my fault for not researching it but i still felt screwed over XD