My girlfriend just broke up with me

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Okay so about a year and a half ago I started dating one of my best friends, and it soon blossomed into a relationship. We had our problems, alot of arguing, and recently she decided she'd had enough and broke up with me. I can't say I blame her if I'm being totally honest I have a terrible temper and unfortunately she often took the brunt of it. (Just to be clear I never hit her!).

As such I have decided to see my GP because I think I may have anger issues.

But now I don't really know what to do or even what I should want. My gut feeling is of course that I want to be back in the relationship and of course that can't happen, at least not for now. The thing is she wants to remain friends, and I want that too, we were friends for ten years before our relationship started, and I don't want to throw that away, so were are still texting each other and stuff.

The problem is I don't know how I'm supposed to get over her and remain friends at the same time. I don't know if I can continue to talk to her without constantly wishing we'd get back together. Has anyone ever had a similar experience and could maybe shed some light on the best thing to do?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It takes a very strong stomach to be able to flip those emotions on/off in a moments notice, so for most people hanging around their ex will do terrible things to their healing process.

I always advise to keep distance as long as you need, tell her you need time to work things out and just stay away as long as it takes to get over this. And yes anger management seem like a good way to go if it's the breaking point of your relationships.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
miketehmage said:
Thirding what everyone above has already said (and quoting you so you see it), tell her you're okay with still being friends but you need to take some time to yourself first. I'm sure she'll understand. Use this time to refocus yourself, do the things that you want to do, you already have plans to see your GP and that's really admirable!

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys, I took your advice and politely asked her not to contact me for a while. It hasn't gone quite to plan as we still have been texting but it is far less than after we first broke up. Think I'm starting to accept the fact that this is it. Sucks to know that I've screwed up but I guess I can't undo it now no matter how much I wish I could so time to move on.