My issue with the whole Kony 2012 thing going on right now.

Austin Mcgough

Dec 4, 2011
Personally people as a general rule I refuse to donate to any charitable organization without a monetary transparency policy like Invisible Children, because you just have no idea what you are funding, it's like the Darfur incident all over again people. If you really want to help the children in Africa just donate to the Red Cross or any of the other charities that actually do things to help people.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
LastGreatBlasphemer said:
Here's my thoughts on it: "Why are we JUST NOW getting to this?Shouldn't this have been an issue with us, I dunno, a decade ago? If not more?"
The end.
Loads of unreported bad shit happens in the world, ever heard of the 2nd Congo War? Most deadly conflict since WW2 and ended it only ended in 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Congo_War

Makes you kind of realise how tainted one's world view is by what media bosses decide to report.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
This whole Kony thing is a pain in the butt. I had to explain to my little sister that it was emotional manipulation, that this video was overriding peoples' ability to think straight. I urged her to put things into perspective. Thankfully, she did and got over the whole Kony thing.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
That video is out of date, a lot of those things happened in 2006, and I really don't like IC because they fund militias, which rape and loot, and they only give about 30% of their earnings to charity anyway. I defiantly wouldn't give them money.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Blunderboy said:
What the hell is Kony?

Honestly I have no idea what you lot are talking about.
And ignorance is bliss.
Yeah right there with you. I'm just going to assume it's a new Pokemon.

AMMO Kid

Jan 2, 2009
I just can't take it anymore...

Your typical high schooler or college student will fall for the "repost this!" crap again, even though EVERYONE I know can tell you who Kony is at this point... It's getting REALLY old at this point and I can't wait for it to stop.

GeneralTwinkle said:
and they only give about 30% of their earnings to charity anyway. I defiantly wouldn't give them money.
They actually give much less than that. Out of 8.8 million in expenses last year 30% went to charity, but they actually made 13 million last year so that number is closer to 20%. Also, they took most of the money between 13 mil and 8.8 mil and stuffed it in their pockets.

In fact, the statement they released yesterday was probably the worst rebuttal to complaints and criticism I've ever seen! They blatantly ignored complaints or treated them like they had been answered when they hadn't been, and they used the "8.8 in expenses" chart to trick people into thinking that they give away a higher percentage then they do. It's all just a way to keep the money coming in. I personally don't think they were trying to silence critics, just give their fans a reason to say "oh, look! They do have good reasons, so I can give them my money!" Yet my same friend that argued that could not name a single thing that was on that list of arguments to begin with because he had not really paid attention to the facts, just the fact that they had rebuttals to criticism.

It really pisses me off...

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
I can only say "oh dear" about the kony thing.
I never tweet or message about starving kids or African warlords and for Kony I don,t make a exception.
he,s a bad person but there isn't anything I can do about it.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I agree with the OP, this is quite bullshit.

Yes, yes, fine. You want me to watch a video about an African warlord? Tell me all about this is the most important video of the year, ignoring the fact there have been documentaries and articles for this sort of shit for decades.
I don't care about Kony for the simple fact that it's an individual case amongst many. I care about warlords fucking up the world and using children soldiers, but Kony hype can go suck a fat one.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
For.I.Am.Mad said:
Kony highlights the fact that you shouldn't blindly follow the tweets of well meaning but misinformed celebrities. Dude hasn't been in Uganda for 6 years.

There's also something insincere about this whole thing. I can't quite place it but I know it's there.
Agreed, I got suspicious the second I saw it. Looking further into it it seems the instigators of this charity organization have their own level of corruption and history of profit misuse. I've done work. In Africa, helping children. I consider that activism and care, and I don't really tell many people about it. This brainless bile spreading around like the latest meme or trend, kind of offends me.

Of course I care. Of course this guy is scum. I don't need a video to manipulate me into it. And that's what it feels like. Manipulation, for something I don't think is entirely their focus. People should not be manipulated into Charity. People who GENUINELY care should already be donating/helping/putting themselves to work, otherwise it's half-assed 'oh look at me I'm such a good person yew gaiz' tripe.

There are so many evil evil people like this in the world who didn't get this much expose. So stop the fucking presses. This is about the video. That all. And I'm sure it's a FABULOUS way to get attention (*cough* Money *cough*)

Some times I despair at people's knee jerking. You wanna help? Get off of facebook, pour that money from charity to go to Uganda, and do something, anything. Otherwise shut your cake hole, you self righteous dick.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
xDarc said:
So after her bit about why care; I said yeah, but you can't talk about it like that- because horrible shit that happens is equally horrible wherever, and when people get emotionally swept up in it you can't say stuff like that to them. You can say it to me, but if you said it on facebook expect to catch a world of shit. She said she knew she would and we both decided the best thing to do is just say nothing, let people send their money, and then forget about it in a month or two like usual.
And this is the most tragic thing in my opinion, all the people talking and trying to get people involved will not give a flying fuck about this 3-4 weeks from now

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
For.I.Am.Mad said:
Kony highlights the fact that you shouldn't blindly follow the tweets of well meaning but misinformed celebrities. Dude hasn't been in Uganda for 6 years.

There's also something insincere about this whole thing. I can't quite place it but I know it's there.
Insincere you mean like this?

Yeah thats the head of the Invisible Children holding an AK and posing with the Sudanese Army.

Me I was part of the OH SHIT KONY 2012 thing at first. Then I started asking questions about it and now I am thinking why the fuck are we supporting these people at IC who spend 50% of their money on making videos while 30% goes to direct aide?

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
StBishop said:
xDarc said:
I haven't watched the video. But I discussed the summary with my girlfriend after reading this and a couple other threads. The first thing she said to me was why should she give a fuck about children in Uganda when we have all kinds of horrible shit happening to kids in (our own country) America?

- We live in the Detroit burbs, and some of you may scoff about the plight of American kids versus Ugandan kids- on a whole, maybe- but just last week a 9 month old was killed by a guy who sprayed 40 rounds into a house one morning. So point being- horrible shit happens everywhere... it may be concentrated in Uganda, but America- or other places- likely have their share of evil to go around. -

So after her bit about why care; I said yeah, but you can't talk about it like that- because horrible shit that happens is equally horrible wherever, and when people get emotionally swept up in it you can't say stuff like that to them. You can say it to me, but if you said it on facebook expect to catch a world of shit. She said she knew she would and we both decided the best thing to do is just say nothing, let people send their money, and then forget about it in a month or two like usual.
I know you've not seen the video so I'm saying this with as much respect as I can (touchy topic and all) but you really don't know what's going on obviously (it's not about kids in Uganda, it's about kids in central Africa in general, Kony isn't even in Uganda and hasn't been for over 4 years) and talking about it without any knowledge is adding to the entire problem and leading to misinformed debate.
I am going to say that you should probably watch the video again then because 99% of the time they refer to Kony as being IN Uganda. They mention him being OUT of Uganda ONCE towards the end. And then NEVER mention it again. Its not that hes misinformed about not watching the video its that the video is misinforming more than the person you quoted.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Here's the thing though. Do you see people posting messages on facebook like "Fuck the starving children in Africa" and ever getting a positive response? No. Its a similar situation. Kony is in the wrong. Whether or not you agree with IC is pretty much irrelevant, and is unnecessary to see that the man is pretty evil (I mean he forces children to kill their parents). If you don't support it that's fine, but you shouldn't stand in the way of people that are trying to make a positive change, IMO that makes you an asshole.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
AMMO Kid said:
They actually give much less than that. Out of 8.8 million in expenses last year 30% went to charity, but they actually made 13 million last year so that number is closer to 20%. Also, they took most of the money between 13 mil and 8.8 mil and stuffed it in their pockets.
That's not quite fair what you have said. This 30% figure is popping up on a lot of sites but it seems to be distorted. If you look at the expenses breakdown (either the audit or their own report) you have to bear in mind that many of the entries are purchases, that is goods intended for resale (for instance DVDs, wrist bands, posters; the sort of shit you get in the action packs they're selling). These shouldn't be included if you're assessing the management costs of the organisation, which is what the accusation boils down to (i.e. 30% expenditure on charity means 70% spent on cigars and champagne), since purchases ultimately become income.

The fact that they made $13.8 million last year and only spent $8.9 million isn't suspect since they had a dramatic increase in revenue for that year, which they likely had no idea they were going to receive (the expenditure is similar to the previous year). Charities don't round up money day by day and redestribute it there and then. They have financial obligations that can last for years at a time (their main work appears to be in school projects), and until they are certain of meeting these obligations they cannot throw excess funds at brand new projects. So it is not out of the ordinary to keep some money back for a year while finances are assessed.

However, there is a shadier side to their work. Their programs are split into two types. The first being actual charitable work within the Central African region, for instance the school projects Schools 4 Schools and Legacy Funds. This is money going to real life Ugandan, South Sudanese and Congolese people. The second, which they call Awareness Programs, is centred on raising awareness in the west of issues in Central Africa, for example the recent video. Money spent here does not go to Africans, in fact it is predominantly spent in the United States.

Now lets look at income. According to their own published reports, they received $5.7 million last year through restricted revenue. These are revenues given for a direct purpose. For instance their Schools 4 Schools program consists of money raised in US schools, then spent on Ugandan schools through ICs management. They received just over $3 million last year from government grants. Let me put this into the proper perspective: these restricted revenues are funds raised by governments and other charitable bodies who then pay IC to destribute them. Furthermore, understand that these revenues account for ICs entire expenditure on Central Africa Programs, even taking management into consideration (total CA expenditure was $3.3 million, which is dwarfed by the $5.7 million).

What this means is, all the money that is raised by IC themselves, e.g. money that has been donated by people having watched this latest video, does not go to Central African Programs, and it does not go to the people of Central Africa. It goes to Awareness Programs, in other words more videos (with a cut for the management team of course; can't do it without those cigars). So while that 30% figure is on the one hand deflated, if you look at the actual funds IC raise on their own, the charitable expenditure (the stuff that goes to Africans) is more accurately a whopping 0%.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
For.I.Am.Mad said:

Seconded. And it's hard to catch someone who is Most Wanted. And Invisible Children are the worst example of a charity ever.

But you know, people are retarded and will believe anything these days.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
All around my school people are going, "OMG have you heard of Kony 2012? It's awful and we need to let the government know!"

People, this has been going on for decades, the Lord's Resistance Army has been around for an awful long time, and we've been trying to stop them for a long time too. As I asked the people at school, so you're trying to make Kony famous, make the government notice this guy and do something about him. What do you want the government to do though?

Because the LRA is a damn good army (though despicably evil), and in incredibly difficult terrain (jungles of war-torn central Africa, not fun). Kony has some of the best soldiers you can get your hands on, and I'm talking about the child soldiers here. They are fanatically devoted to him, they're well trained (they literally live in conflict, and children are very quick to learn) and it ain't gonna be easy for our soldiers to shoot kids, that's a lot to ask of people. Those kids will die to protect Kony, he is the only person who has ever shown them kindness and without him they are without purpose. He is their God.

The only way to Kony is through those children, if we want him dead or brought to justice, children will die. A lot of them.

This is a man who is already "famous". He's at the top of the International Criminal Courts most wanted list for Christ's sake! Putting up posters won't help anyone!

Sure, support Invisible Child, tell the government about a problem they are well aware of and can't do anything about. Donate to Invisble Child, who support direct military intervention (a tactic which has failed for the past few decades), and who support the Ugandan army, who have commited multiple atrocities.