My laptop is crapping out and i could use some help

Da pyro man 999

Aug 24, 2009
A few days ago, my laptop completely crashed. We think, due to the age of the hardware, that the hard drive just gave up. Anyway, we managed to get the computer working by taking the laptop back to factory settings, and most of the software is working perfectly well.

The problem is that my laptop is no longer connecting to my rooter wirelessly, and so i'm posting now with an ether net cable attached to the laptop from my rooter. I could really use ome help if anyone has had this problem befor.

By the way, one of the functions that was lost during the factory re set was spell check, so please excuse my spellng.(oh, how reliant i have grown on all this technology

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I suppose it's only a matter of time before xXSnowyXx, AWAR, Griffolion, or Albino Boo come to help you out. Honestly, those guys are all pretty helpful.

Until then, can you describe the state that your laptop is in now? I mean, have you taken any steps in terms of restoring its previous functionality beyond the factory reset?

In addition, which version of Windows are you running? XP, Vista, 7? And did you install the router-specific software that probably came on disc?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
First question. Is your wireless network showing up when you search for available networks? Second. Is your Wifi point password protected? .. Scan for your wireless connection, connect to it, input your password. Should be good to go after that. Since your posting with an ethernet cable your atleast running default drivers for the networking.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Da pyro man 999 said:
problem is that my laptop is no longer connecting to my rooter wirelessly, and so i'm posting now with an ether net cable attached to the laptop from my rooter. I could really use ome help if anyone has had this problem befor.
Make sure that Windows it is is entirely up to date using Windows Update. After a restore it probably isn't. Update your browser and AV as well, just to be safe in the meantime.

Make sure that your wireless card is actually switched on. A lot of laptops have physical switches or keypress combinations that disable the wireless. Make sure that isn't the case. This might help: http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?214308-How-to-turn-on-off-Wireless-in-various-Laptop-Models

Try updating the wireless drivers in Device Manager. To do that open Device Manager, open the Network Adaptors tab, right click on the wireless card(s), select Update Driver Software, and search automatically for Driver software. It'll then search for drivers online, hopefully through the ethernet cable.

Try those for starters, if it doesn't work then get back to us!