My Little Phony

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Velocirapture07 said:
Sure, there should be movies about strong black men and women helping themselves (and I'm sure there are),
I saw this one. It had a load of snakes in it. And a plane, I think. As far as I know Jules Winfield was pretty sick of the situation.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
gallaetha_matt said:
Velocirapture07 said:
Sure, there should be movies about strong black men and women helping themselves (and I'm sure there are),
I saw this one. It had a load of snakes in it. And a plane, I think. As far as I know Jules Winfield was pretty sick of the situation.
Haha, this made me laugh. Thanks. Don't know if you were trying to say anything but it's still funny none the less.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
ravensshade said:
Togusa09 said:
Just stay away from Australian cinema... It's all we seem to make...
australian cinema only makes underdog under-dingo movies?.
Fixed it for you.

It looked like a decent yet bland film from what I saw.

Much anger in this thread I sense.

Maybe if the film ended in a gunfight I would have been interested, I mean I am a FPS addict.

*twitch*

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
secretariat is the michael jordan of the horse world, and the horse is actually better than mj since he never had to struggle or overcome.

if disney made a film about mj they would probably focus a bit on the pistons struggles, toucvh on the death of his father and the impact on him to leave the game. but totally forget the gambling, the what i would assume womanizing, the friction between him and his team especially in the early teams. And of course his burning drive to dominate a team sport.

the horse just owned all, i am pretty sure he did not get very upset about the loss of his parents, he had not major rivals to overcome, he was just faster and stronger and better by miles than anyone else in the individual sport.

but then again wth do we expect disney to make? i mean do we expect than a disney movie is going to have a good hard look at sexism and vietnam and dysfunctional families and peoples sex lives in any movie? i think a majority of people on the escapist or in the general movie going public will skip this move just because there is no there there and how many adults really share a burning need to know more about a horse the kicked the living crap out of everything. this is a movie for parents that what some safe and non threatening movies to take the kids to to kill 90 minutes.

just like in the next 10 year or so io am sure there will be jordan movies coming out to relive the glory days of the nba and if disney makes one that is the one my kids go see, the one oliver stone makes is the one i go see.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
...and thus were MovieBob's detractors reminded of why he is allowed weekly contributions on the Escapist.

Well done, Sir!

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
All I can say is thank God it wasn't turned into one of those "feminist conquers men" movies. There are already way to many of those vile things.

The 70s was 40 fucking years ago, feminism is just as irrelevant now as everything else from the 70s is.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
The Blind Side was possibly the most racist movie I have seen in a long time. The black character was portrayed as a simpleton. The only thing he was missing was a lazy eye, and a bit of drool coming out the side of his mouth.

So this movie white washes history. Fantastic.

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
That's the cliche anyway, and largely what I've been exposed to. There are breaks to this of course, people I know just generally prefer Australian movies like "The Castle".

RestamSalucard

Feb 26, 2010
Thomas Guy said:
The Blind Side was possibly the most racist movie I have seen in a long time. The black character was portrayed as a simpleton. The only thing he was missing was a lazy eye, and a bit of drool coming out the side of his mouth.

What I found most racist about it was that he wasn't even the main character in his own story. What? So a black man can't be a relatable character in movies, he needs to get the cheap Julia Roberts to tell his own story for him? Not cool, Hollywood, not cool.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
RestamSalucard said:
Thomas Guy said:

What I found most racist about it was that he wasn't even the main character in his own story. What? So a black man can't be a relatable character in movies, he needs to get the cheap Julia Roberts to tell his own story for him? Not cool, Hollywood, not cool.
Wow, you guys miss the entire point of the Blindside when you cry about its portrayal of black people. The point of it was to point out socio-economic problems, connected to race but not about race. Rich people, poor people. Not White and Black. There's even an argument in the movie about this very distinction. Keep in mind the story is in Memphis, where socio-economic stratification is a cold reality.

And it makes sense to me that a feminine, motherly character narrarates the upbringing of her adopted son, even though most of the action revolves around him. The movie is about a mother watching her son overcome adversity.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
God I hate movies that try to show adult relationships but utterly ignore the whole 'adult' aspect of it and treat them like love struck 5 year olds. When will we get back to hollywood making a movie for the audience its made for instead of trying to trick people that its totally intended for everyone.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
If the protagonist was like Sarah Palin every liberal character in the movie would treat her like she's the greatest threat to the human race who ever lived. In other words, she's the sort of female that makes liberals forget they're supposed to be feminists. Of course, therein lies the real truth--in order to have a liberal's respect you have to agree with him. No deviating from the dictates of the hive mind, ladies, or else you'll lose your "protected" status!

Anyway, aside from being excessively liberal again, good review.

Ciran

Feb 7, 2009
For.I.Am.Mad said:
When I saw the title of this article all I could think about was a pot and a kettle.
Um...I don't get it. I mean, I get the reference, I'm just not quite sure what you're trying to get at with it.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
RDubayoo said:
If the protagonist was like Sarah Palin every liberal character in the movie would treat her like she's the greatest threat to the human race who ever lived. In other words, she's the sort of female that makes liberals forget they're supposed to be feminists. Of course, therein lies the real truth--in order to have a liberal's respect you have to agree with him. No deviating from the dictates of the hive mind, ladies, or else you'll lose your "protected" status!

Anyway, aside from being excessively liberal again, good review.
Andy Schafly? Is that you?!

Amazon warrior

Jul 7, 2009
Bland or not, I suspect this movie will probably do reasonably well for itself for one crucial reason that seems to have been overlooked here: Little girls. Little horse-mad girls. With families. Who will be willing to put up with an unambitious movie to temporarily quench their darling's desire to see a film about anything with four legs that goes "neigh". People, I speak from experience here! ;)

I think I'll stick with Seabiscuit for racing-world thrills. I read the book too, and I thought the film came out pretty well.

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
Mortagog said:
...and thus were MovieBob's detractors reminded of why he is allowed weekly contributions on the Escapist.

Well done, Sir!

I concur Dr. Mortagog, I liked Seabiscuit and I can tell they are just trying to rip off that winning formula and failing but then again most of the good disney stuff comes from Touchstone and Pixar.

and that brings a question to my mind bob, which is the better company dreamworks of pixar?

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Let's see...

Secretariat is a movie about a horse....

No, lost me already. #1 is the title - that's a god-awful word.
I thought it was about a secretary themed superhero.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
So basically it's what would have been a movie of the week type affair on hallmark channel turned into a cynical attempt to woo the oscar voters? meh not like i give a crap what that bunch of wankers vote for anyway, the fact they constantly ignore popular movies or movies of certain genre's(scifi) in favor of this sort of crap speaks volumes.