My Love For You Is Ticking Clock

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Heh, my last girlfriend could have done with that sex advice for Trigger. While it wouldn't have saved our relationship, at least she would have stopped questioning herself so often. I'm not a sex initiator at all, and for a while she wouldn't initiate either because she was afraid that I might reject her because I found her unattractive. Even AFTER we had some conversations about it, she was still pretty hesitant. I wouldn't say I NEVER initiated though, but most of the time it was due to some kind of influence loosening my inhibitions. That, of course, made it look all the worse.

Of course, we also weren't very sexually compatible anyway (I was very boring when it came to sex - if it felt good, that's all that mattered, and she liked a variety of things but never suggested them, presumably because... she was afraid I wouldn't want to try them? who knows)

I guess I'm still stuck in the lingering fog of that relationship a little, but it's clearing up, and venting helps (as well as reading about other people with similar issues).

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Berserker!
Just had to finish that.

It seems that a lot of these problems would be solved if everyone was just open and honest. Probably works out better for everyone.

...Did he just say making fuck?

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
I really like the answer to 21. It makes the answer to the person who wanted to avoid sex until marriage more clear, because it's about the relationship rather than the sex. In particular, that it's not the end of the world to date somebody with (manageable) problems, but it's best to pick the person with the right problems.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
"He asks you for sex now because you're convenient and familiar, and because he believes you can't tell him no. If you don't mind being used for his cheap comfort, then, sure, go right ahead. But know this: Because you love him and he doesn't feel the same way, you might as well be fucking a ticking time bomb."

oh wow, that is a BOLD assumption.

There is no telling what this guy is thinking, he says he wants her as a "friend with benefits", but how did that come to discussion?
Who is to say he does'nt care about her anymore or this is his (deeply flawed) attempt at trying to get close again?
Or did he come right out like: "wanna be my booty call?".
did she tell him she missed him, or loved him, or did she leave it undiscussed?

so many variables.

also: "his cheap comfort"?
really?

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I don't have anything constructive to say but the name "can't trigger the tent scene" just made me laugh out loud. I don't think being the initiator is a big problem though I can see how that might mess with your head.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Lara Crigger said:
My Love For You Is Ticking Clock

Sometimes putting up the tent is the hardest part.

Read Full Article
To Mr. 21:

I'd have to ask a semi-honest, semi-rhetorical question here -- how is it that you think a person goes from being "naive" to being whatever you see as the opposite? Do you really believe people mature with age, rather than with experience?

I tell my middle school students this all the time: If you're not willing to do something while you're bad at it, you will never be good at it. Because experience (including failure) is what gets you from one side to the other.

It's easy to look at everyone else making mistakes, while you sit on the sidelines, and think, "Ha! I haven't made those mistakes!" True -- because you haven't done anything about it. You haven't avoided the mistakes because you're above them or immune to them, but because you haven't tried yet. Your mistakes are yet to come, and here's the hard truth: They're going to hit you harder, because you're older and now the stakes are higher.

Probably should've gotten all that out of the way when you were younger and it didn't really matter so much.

(Also, consider that 21-year-old women might shy away from a guy with no experience, because it basically means you're -- relationship-wise, at least -- a teenager.)

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
AbstractStream said:
I don't have anything constructive to say but the name "can't trigger the tent scene" just made me laugh out loud. I don't think being the initiator is a big problem though I can see how that might mess with your head.
It does mess with your head. I have a more active sex drive than my boyfriend, and I am literally the one initiating sex all the time. I know he thinks I'm hot, and I know he loves having sex with me, and I know that sex drives don't work the way TV sitcoms say they do, but it even messes with my head. In the back of my mind is always the notion that if I am so hot and attractive to him, shouldn't just the sight of me naked be enough to make him want me? It's certainly enough for me in regards to him

No matter how intelligent of a person you are, and how much of an understanding of true human nature you have, there are just some things that society has ingrained into you so deeply that they still cause doubts at the back of your mind. And when you wake up on one of those days where every outfit you own makes you feel fat an unattractive, and your hair refuses to look the way it usually does, you really can't help but look in the mirror and think "it's because he doesn't think I'm hot".

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
daftalchemist said:
AbstractStream said:
It does mess with your head. I have a more active sex drive than my boyfriend, and I am literally the one initiating sex all the time. I know he thinks I'm hot, and I know he loves having sex with me, and I know that sex drives don't work the way TV sitcoms say they do, but it even messes with my head. In the back of my mind is always the notion that if I am so hot and attractive to him, shouldn't just the sight of me naked be enough to make him want me? It's certainly enough for me in regards to him

No matter how intelligent of a person you are, and how much of an understanding of true human nature you have, there are just some things that society has ingrained into you so deeply that they still cause doubts at the back of your mind. And when you wake up on one of those days where every outfit you own makes you feel fat an unattractive, and your hair refuses to look the way it usually does, you really can't help but look in the mirror and think "it's because he doesn't think I'm hot".
So if a guy doesn't initiate sex with a girl, he is a jerk because he isn't thinking about that girl's feelings, because that's how the media portrays him. However, if I complain that an incredibly attractive girl isn't interested in me (an overweight not very attractive man) I'm a jerk because real life isn't like Sitcoms

Is the word "relationship" simply a synonym for "double standard"?

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Really disagree with the first two. The first sentence of each is fine, then the rest is off the rails.

For the second one: The first sentence sounds good. He is telling the truth and worries that sex is an imposition.

The rest of the reply then goes in completely the opposite direction, talking about sometimes men just want to cuddle, and theres nothing wrong with you if your boyfriend doesnt want sex. Thats all true, but seems completely unrelated to the question, to me.

The key part of the question to me is when she says about her boyfriend "He says he doesn't initiate sex because he doesn't feel like I'm in the mood whenever I'm not initiating it". Ive been in that situation - it has nothing to do with not being interested in sex, or just wanting to cuddle. The opposite. To me, this implies he wants sex more frequently (perhaps significantly more frequently, as was my case) but that trying to initiate sex on those occasions is a) frustrating, getting worked up when your partner isnt in the mood; b) feels wrong trying to "convince" your partner if they arent initially in the mood. A guy doesnt want to pressure their partner into something, but if their sex drive means they are seeking sex more often than the partner is receptive to put it bluntly theyre going to be blue balled, be pressuring their partner, or be taking care of business by themself. None of those options are really great unless you have a very healthy relationship where youre very open about masturbation. For most people it is embarrassing masturbating around someone who isnt in a sexual mood (which will be the case by definition in this scenario).

For the first one:
Combustion Kevin said:
oh wow, that is a BOLD assumption.
This.

Basically, the reply to the first question reads as saying "If you have sexual feelings for a friend of yours, never tell them. Bottle your feelings up and never acknowledge them, because if you say them out loud that makes you a worthless sleaze that nobody should ever be around."

The only thing that letter says about the guy is that he has told her he is still physically attracted to her and likes the idea of sex. Thats called being honest and open - burying that feeling and not mentioning it is not healthy, and implying that he is a sleaze for even mentioning it is the exact opposite of healthy relationship advice.

An actual helpful reply would be to focus on why people need to be honest about their expectations. In this case, a casual arrangement is not a good idea if the woman (or man?) still has feelings and is hoping that something more will come of it. She needs to be honest with the guy, and tell him that although she likes the idea of sex with him she would be hoping to get back together with him. If she wants something that isnt a part of the arrangement, trying to make the arrangement work is most likely to just lead to disappointment, and potentially resentment or hurt feelings.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
Caffiene said:
I really have to wonder if the woman from question two isn't so much worried about what it says about her that her boyfriend never initiates sex, rather she is simply annoyed she doesn't have the power in that particilar department.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I keep on thinking that this is Name Game and click on it every week! It doesn't even look that similar...I don't get it.

Anyway, from what I've skimmed so far from this feature on the Escapist, well, I think that it's usually a bit harsh. Now I must admit that I haven't read in depth, but from the first couple of sentences I always get the feeling that the author is incredibly negative about relationships.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Maybe your doubt is telling you something: Writing off everyone around you because they don't meet your high standards is an easy recipe for loneliness. Happiness isn't achieved by holding yourself at arm's length and shutting out those around you. Happiness comes when you let people in, even if - especially if - they're as flawed and unstable as you.
Totally agree. Because I've been down the same path.

Honestly, it will always look like you are more level-headed, experienced, etc. from the -outside-. Look at all those silly tweens with their problems and awkward socializing. And then one day, you're like, "wow, it's a lot harder than it looks in practice".

Watching is always easier than doing. Doing hurts; I started -wayyy- too late, for similar reasons as yourself. It cost me. But I'm still thankful, because, it wasn't too late for me to turn around (as you can now).

I basically indirectly spat on my friends' advice, which was to, essentially, find Ms. Non-Pedestal. I refused to believe it. Truth is, black/white mentalities are incredibly harmful. It would take years for me to find out the hard way that it would only lead to loneliness. Sometimes the best way to learn something is to run into the consequences firsthand.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
On that last one: bullshit. Letting people in is overrated. I've kept everyone at arm's length for all 24 years of my life and I'm perfectly happy.

Ok, that's a lie. I'm not happy at all. But not because I'm alone. Society puts so much fucking stock in getting laid and finding someone to love. Why do people find it so hard to grasp that I just don't care? I don't want to go out looking for a girlfriend. I don't want to talk to new people. I've heard friends and family ask why I've never dated or say shit like "don't worry, you'll find someone" way too many times, and I've grown spiteful of it. If I wanna end up dying alone and with my V-card, that's my fucking prerogative. And don't tell me I'm 'afraid of love' or that I have confidence issues; that's more bullshit to try and get me to bend to the status quo.

Wow, did I really just go into a tangent tirade about the right to be lonely? I need more booze. Or less...no, definitely more.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
'Newsflash: Everyone between the ages of 13 and 17 is unstable, indecisive and naïve'

This is so totally true! You don't feel it at all, and you don't notice that you mature that much until you look back at things that happened in this time! I looked back through my old emails back 8-9 years ago when I was 14/15, and wow was I surprised! I remember all the little stories, and each little crisis that was documented at this time, and I never realised how insecure I was! I never felt it, but I really was!! And so were all my friends... All of them! It's incredible to think, looking at them now, that we developed without really knowing, but oh well!

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
anonymity88 said:
GonzoGamer said:
Berserker!
Just had to finish that.
Beat me there. Damn. : (
I hate you both. But, good to see that there's a few people out there who appreciate a good film, amirite?

That reference is pretty much the only reason I looked at this feature actually. Although I suppose here is as good a place as any to have a "dear...." segment.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Capt. Crankypants said:
anonymity88 said:
GonzoGamer said:
Berserker!
Just had to finish that.
Beat me there. Damn. : (
I hate you both. But, good to see that there's a few people out there who appreciate a good film, amirite?

That reference is pretty much the only reason I looked at this feature actually. Although I suppose here is as good a place as any to have a "dear...." segment.
It's the main reason I clicked too... that and last weeks was pretty funny too.
At the same time, this article made me want to watch Clerks:

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Berserker!
Just had to finish that.

...Did he just say making fuck?
That was beautiful, man.

On topic (somewhat), reading all this stuff about relationship woes makes me resent my complete lack of one that much more. Fucking awesomely obscure references...