My PS3 won't turn on!

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Hey guys, I tried to make a quick search but was unable to find an issue like mine.

Basically my PS3 (Slim, 1T HDD [upgraded recently]) was overheating, so I opened it up last week, cleaned it and put it back together as per the instructions on the vid.

It has a red Standby light, but when I push the start up button it turns green and then goes black (Like if it wasn't plugged in).

So I dismantled it, checked all the connections and re-assembled it. Tried it and it worked!!!

Yesterday I was D/loading a game and it was on the 98% mark, went to take a bath came back to the room and it made a "Pip" sound. Went to check and it was on a red Standby light. I was like sweet I'm gonna quickly turn it on so that I can sort the new game and then go to work. Pushed the power button, green then black! (I had no time to dis-assemble//re-assemble before work).

Any suggestions?! Also please excuse my poor english.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
When electrical equipment makes a "pip" sound, in my experience, it means it is fucked. Sounds to me like the power supply was on its way out and has finally bitten the dust. I hope I am wrong though.

Nopraptor

Jun 18, 2010
yup. with every digital device i ever had generic beeps, pips and other such noises means that an internal component, of some sort ,has passed on and is singing its swan song

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sounds like one of the components inside died out, whether it simply was their time (how old is your PS3?) or your tinkering somehow kicked it off.

Your best bet is probably to take it to a repair shop. Captain Obvious but it's what I would do. I wouldn't feel comfortable ripping the console open, with or without instructions.

Jun 13, 2011
Take it to a repair shop, or salvage the hard drive and get a new one. Your PS3 is probably dead, noises like that aren't good coming from anything.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Who told you to open it? That just voids the warranty if your still covered. Otherwise its time to buy a new PS3, atleast they are fairly cheap at the moment.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hate to break it to you, but it sounds like you're going through the exact same thing that happened to my first PS3. One day, while playing Dead Space 2, it just turned off with that same sound. I tried turning it on again. It would blink, then go dark or show a yellow light. That was Sony's version of the Red Ring of Death. I'm afraid you PS3 has joined my old one in oblivion.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Hey to respond to some questions in no particular order:

I dissmantled the PS3 again in the afternoon and it worked for 2 hours. I manually turned it off to go out, when I came back tried it on again and same problem.

There's no YLOD, it just go black.

Nobody told me to open it, it was overheating and there was no way to clean it up. (A disc actually came kind of weird after being inside for about an hour).

I sort of voided the warranty, what I did was heat up the sticker with a hairdryer and then took the stick off (by softening the glue with the heat) and then re-applied it after I was done. I'm in Costa Rica and to be honest I don't know if the warranty applies here.

I first got my ps3 on 2007.

The pip sound was pretty much like the sound the ps3 always makes when I turn it on or off just louder.

The red light isn't blinking, I called a repair shop today and they told me it might the power supply.

I grounded myself before opening up the case and after, followed all the steps to a T and re-assembled everything as instructed BUT it was my first time with a ps3 and I probably did something wrong.

If my ps3 is toast can I re-attach the HDD to a new ps3 (that I will buy like in the next decade [getting a cheap ps3 over here is hard since there's no cost degradation or buy it from amazon and paying the fees]). I had installed over 700 GBs to it already.

Can I use my psn user again?

Thanks for all yer input!