My school has just crossed the line from 'Idiotic Logic' to 'Batshit Insanity'

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
Here's a little something. 1959 vs. 2009 yeah i know its old but still relevant to this discussion

Scenario 1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1959 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2009 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again.. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1959 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2009 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1959 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2009 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt..
1959 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1959 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
2009 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1959 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
2009 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro 's English teacher. English is then banned from core curric ulum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
1959 - Ants die..
2009 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1959 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2009 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

This is how stupid we've become. We're so worried about crazy shit happening that we make up stupid rules that can be just as damaging.

Zayle79

Oct 6, 2011
Heh, the whole public education system in my city is completely insane. One teacher was banned from teaching in the state for breaking a kid's arm. We called her "Horselady" because her surname was Horsely and she had that coarse voice you get after you have throat cancer. Another tortured her students by making them hold their arms straight out and hitting them with rulers if they held them too low. She's still teaching today. Both of those were elementary school teachers, by the way.

I had another teacher who was absurdly racist and referred to black students as "baboons", and another who was passionate about sharing her opinions on everything she knew nothing about, which was...everything. Another of my teachers completely ignored it when a bully hit me right in front of her. She was a "business technology" teacher who didn't know what a "web browser" was and called the enter key "return". Oh, and my sister had a teacher who was nearly illiterate.

And there are crazy rules as well. In middle school and up, girls can hug, but guys can't. If a girl hugs a guy, he has to hold both of his arms in the air. One of the primary punishments is ISS, or In School Suspension, which is more or less exactly what it says on the tin. You sit in a room with other kids who have gotten the same punishment and you do all of the work you would have done that day, but without the benefit of a teacher to, you know, teach you how to do the work. And you did this while the teacher was actually teaching the material in a different room in the same building.

The students were crazy, too. One 8th-grade girl was 17 and had two kids. She asked me to a school dance once. :|

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Oh non-Canadian schools, how you make me lawl :D
But seriously, that really sucks dude.
My high school would have turned into a flaming ball of riotous rage at the mere mention of such a rule.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Laws exist for a reason, and in the case of schools its most likely so that they dont get sued. Remember they are financially liable unless you have signed a waver so just suck it up you will have rules to deal with for the rest of your life learn to abide by them now.

Zayle79

Oct 6, 2011
Torrasque said:
My high school would have turned into a flaming ball of riotous rage at the mere mention of such a rule.
It was so stupid that we just sort of laughed it off and din't take it seriously. Then, when they started handing out write-ups for hugs, we kind of accepted it.

coolkirb said:
Laws exist for a reason, and in the case of schools its most likely so that they dont get sued. Remember they are financially liable unless you have signed a waver so just suck it up you will have rules to deal with for the rest of your life learn to abide by them now.
To be honest, I only obey laws when there's a good reason behind it. "So the school doesn't get sued" doesn't qualify as "good", at least in my opinion.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Zayle79 said:
Torrasque said:
It was so stupid that we just sort of laughed it off and din't take it seriously. Then, when they started handing out write-ups for hugs, we kind of accepted it.

coolkirb said:
To be honest, I only obey laws when there's a good reason behind it. "So the school doesn't get sued" doesn't qualify as "good", at least in my opinion.
The only laws I follow are the ones that make sense.
If they don't make sense, my spiteful nature forces me to thwart it whether I want to or not.
Also, I would fight that rule every moment.
No hugging? I guess no hand holding or smiling will be next.

Zayle79

Oct 6, 2011
Torrasque said:
Zayle79 said:
Torrasque said:

coolkirb said:
If they don't make sense, my spiteful nature forces me to thwart it whether I want to or not.
Hand-holding was already considered a PDA. Smiling will just get you disapproving glances.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Zayle79 said:
Torrasque said:
Hand-holding was already considered a PDA. Smiling will just get you disapproving glances.
*throws hands in air*
There is no hope for you crazy American schools.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
TrilbyWill said:
My school has made a few pretty bad decisions in the recent years.
we arent allowed to hug any more.
Maybe someone has said this in the 9 pages of comments, but come on I can't read all of thinks it could damage my eyes.... or worse it could cause me let my guard down and my cat will give me the Hug of Death©.

Anyways, just start talking to people and set up a date that everyone spends the day hugging everyone, constantly, in the middle of class and walking to and from rooms. Stop hugging anytime to step off school property, and of course don't start till you are on it. Whatever you do don't hug the copper. You will be hugged back, but not by him, by the tingles of a taser.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
i recall that happening else where in AUS. Girls can't hug each other or something and Vice versa.

Seems pretty stupid. My school was full of [whats a nice way to put this] ****'s.

The Head Principal was a bigot who would not let Abo's or any nationality into the school. He was VERY religious to the point of insanity

he once said 'Muslims are terriosts due to there worship of the Devil' and 'Buddisim is the best way to be closer to the Devil'.

Also the students once stuffed a dead sheep into my locker not expulsions and i had to pay for the repair of my books/locker.

Apparently i pranked myself and was 'doing it for attention' even when kids confessed and told the teacher what THEY DID.

the Teacher didn't like me due to me liking the LGBT and think there good people. My old teachers thought the WBC was CORRECT and right in everyway

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
My school wasn't awful, although there were a few incidences I can recall that were somewhat hilarious.

There was the time I was talking to my friend at lunch, his girlfriend was there just sitting on his lap. A teacher came by, and told them that was inappropriate behaviour and she should get off him. So I sat down on his lap instead. Next time the teacher came past they just looked at us for a few seconds, then walked away.

Then there was the time, at lunch me and my friends just talking, me and my girlfriend just kind of hugging. A teacher came over, told me to come to the office. Said to me, "does this seem appropriate". I honestly didn't know what they were talking about, but I was wearing a jumper that wasn't school uniform, so I went with that. Apologised, told them my school ones were in the wash. They said, "no that's not the problem, do you really think it's appropriate for you to be hugging your girlfriend like that?" I have no idea why my girlfriend didn't get in trouble as well. It was actually so bewildering I just started laughing.

Oh, and there was my leavers jumper. I don't know if other countries do this, basically it's just a special jumper, you get your name or nickname on the back. I asked for "brunothepig" and was told that was inappropriate, and could be offensive to people named Bruno... There was no Bruno in our school I asked. So I went with Vassago. Which is the name of a demon prince... There wasn't a problem.

Magical029

Sep 5, 2011
Seriously? This is batshit insane. I really need to find that picture I remeber seeing with those words and a giant happy background :D. Trezu, the teacher who thought the WBC was correct...deserves...I don't know...
Corrupting children or something?

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
School has changed a lot in the [counts] ...six years since I graduated. Now I feel old.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Wow, is this all for real? D:
I'm speechless. Why would anyone enforce this kind of rules? This is beyond my comprehension...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Shiny Koi said:
amaranth_dru said:
You know, I thought school was about learning and all that not hugging your girlfriend or other PDA's. Worry more about tests and the like than your social life...
Wow. You just boggled me. Congratulations.

Go look up any decent school's Mission Statement. No. Go ahead, I'll wait. You'll find it on their website.

99% chance that included in their mission statement is the promise/desire to produce students that are "well-rounded". You know what that means, right? That means they're happy, contributing and socially adjusted as well as successful with their grades. Since school takes place during your formative years, is there really any better time to become socially adjusted? It's been proven time and time and time again that kids exposed to a "no touch" policy grow up emotionally stunted, because apparently such a policy, whether you like/believe it or not, tends to reinforce an image of "touching is a bad thing" in a young person's mind.

TLDR: Learning about the "social" aspect of life during school is just as (if not more so) important than the course content. Nothing you learn in school outside of writing skills and arithmetic will ever be used again unless you do a university/college course with prerequisites. Social skills (which are MUCH harder to pick up later, take it from me) stay with you for a lifetime, and you need them to survive.

Also... last sentence. Are you really implying that hugging your friend "good morning" at the start of the day will detract from "learning"? Because that's what you're saying with your post, intentionally or not. And if you really mean that, well, that's lunacy. The second or two it takes to hug someone does wonders for your bond, and I don't see how it is detrimental at all to the purpose of an education institute.
No, I'm saying if you're taking on school as a place where kids go to learn about society and social skills, you're sadly mistaken. Almost 20 years later, school does not have any bearing on my social life. It never did. In fact, it taught me what not to be like, how not to act and not intentionally.
Too much parents rely on the school systems to teach their children about the things that THEY THEMSELVES should be teaching.

gewata

Mar 21, 2009
Most insane thing my school ever did?

Saturday school.
Yeah.
I had to get up at 6.30 in the fucking morning on a fucking Saturday to go to fucking school.

So no drinking on a Friday evening, homework that hadnt been don in the week had to be done on a Sunday, so basically you had NO free time.

So yeah.
Beat that.

(That rule had been in place for many hundreds of years though, so its not like we didn't know what we were getting ourselves into)

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
you guys are really gonna flip your lids when you graduate and find out what a bunch of bullshit the real world is.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Wow... that sucks, and you should sue the bastards until they shudder upon hearing the word "lawyer".

My current high school's not like that, else I wouldn't have had my heart temporarily broken by seeing my first crush constantly making out with this other guy (who was pretty nice, and we're all friends now, so... woot?). In fact, nobody bats an eyelid at PDAs here. I guess we're all satanic murdering serial rapists.

In fact, my primary school as pretty awesome. The cooks were told they needed more "green foods" in the menu, so what did they do?

Dye the chips green.

My favourite mini-pizza snack still disappeared, though...