My Smash Bros Ultimate Fighter Pack 2 Character Bingo List. What are yours?

Shy-Gamer

Jun 17, 2021
Well Namco-Bandai is actually the developer of Smash Ultimate (same with Wii-U/3DS)

And they own the Tekken IP

And Sakurai happens to be friends with Harada who helms the Tekken franchise.

You put two-and-two together.
Like a lot of smash characters, it sounds obvious in retrospect, but you didn't actually see a lot of people predicting it before it happened. Most of takes I saw were still going for the usual suspects: crash, another pokemon, master chief, lloyd, eggman, etc

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like a lot of smash characters, it sounds obvious in retrospect, but you didn't actually see a lot of people predicting it before it happened. Most of takes I saw were still going for the usual suspects: crash, another pokemon, master chief, lloyd, eggman, etc
Master Chief was never going to happen, so I don't know what people were thinking there.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
That's what I thought. i don't play smash but I remember reading that or hearing that somewhere.

Hey maybe the final character can be Tifa :D
Already a Mii Costume from the Sephiroth DLC.

Along with Barret and Aerith

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Master Chief was never going to happen, so I don't know what people were thinking there.
Why not? I mean, there's absolutely no rhyme or reason at this point as to which characters get in.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why not? I mean, there's absolutely no rhyme or reason at this point as to which characters get in.
I know Banjo and Kazooie got in, but that's a rare exception. Minecraft Steve while definitely a huge surprise, makes sense, because most the kids that grew up on it are in their late teens or early 20s now.

Master Chief ain't gonna happen, and from the recent video, we're not going to see the last DLC character trailer until around the Game Awards. The only thing coming up after Kazuya is another challenge pack. We'll wait and see, but I highly doubt it's gonna be Microsoft's console mascot. I'd sooner expect Ryu Hayabusa or Blaze Fielding to show up. If MC do show up, good for the Halo fans.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I know Banjo and Kazooie got end, but that's a rare exception. Minecraft Steve while defintely a huge surprise, makes sense, because most the kids that grew up on it are in their late teens or early 20s now.

Master Chief ain't gonna happen, and from the recent video, we're not going to see the last DLC character trailer until around the Game Awards. The only thing coming up after Kazuya is another challenge pack. We'll wait and see, but I highly doubt it's gonna be Microsoft's console mascot. I'd sooner expect Ryu Hayabusa or Blaze Fielding to show up. If MC do show up, good for the Halo fans.
You're kind of reaffirming my point for me in a roundabout way. Apart from Banjo (who was Nintendo-exclusive for a time...a sweet, innocent time...), none of the other characters in the post really have any more claim for inclusion than others. Steve a hit with kids? Okay, but why Steve? There's no shortage of kid-friendly characters in the world, and that's not just in Nintendo. Ryu Hayabusa and Blaze? Okay, but why them? I guess the original Ninja Gaiden series was associated with the NES, but that's hardly the case nowadays. And Blaze? Exclusive to a rival console back in the 90s, only to come back decades later on a multiplatform release? If we're plucking from Sega IPs to throw into Smash, why not Vectorman? Or Allis Lansdale? Or G? Or Ecco? Or...actually, forget Ecco. He's out.

I know, old man yelling at cloud, but Smash started out as a celebration of Nintendo IPs, but these days, it's come one, come all. I mean, if HotS started getting characters from non-Blizzard IPs, or Sega Superstars started getting characters from non-Sega IPs, or Marvel vs. Capcom started getting characters from neither of those IPs, or anything like that, I'm willing to bet that some people might get a tad peaved. Yet Smash gets all these guest characters when so many Nintendo IPs are still left to the side.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Steve a hit with kids? Okay, but why Steve? There's no shortage of kid-friendly characters in the world, and that's not just in Nintendo
Because Minecraft got really fucking popular with the kiddies. More than the adults ever could.

I guess the original Ninja Gaiden series was associated with the NES, but that's hardly the case nowadays.
The modern Ninja Gaiden games, the NES games, and the arcade game are all on Switch, so moot point.

And Blaze? Exclusive to a rival console back in the 90s, only to come back decades later on a multiplatform release? If we're plucking from Sega IPs to throw into Smash, why not Vectorman?
We already got like 4 punchy dudes as guest characters. Time to throw in a judo, kick chick. Axel Stone would have been redundant, and Blaze is popular for several reason. Plus, Axel already got Project X Zone 2. As much as I love Vectorman, he has become forgotten, similar to Sketch Turner. Only the old and hardcore Sega fans remember them.

Then everyone would suffer like G did. Do you want that?

I know, old man yelling at cloud, but Smash started out as a celebration of Nintendo IPs, but these days, it's come one, come all. I mean, if HotS started getting characters from non-Blizzard IPs, or Sega Superstars started getting characters from non-Sega IPs, or Marvel vs. Capcom started getting characters from neither of those IPs, or anything like that, I'm willing to bet that some people might get a tad peaved. Yet Smash gets all these guest characters when so many Nintendo IPs are still left to the side.
Fighting games live on crossover appeal. It's do or die. It's not like the old days, but this is not a bad thing. Genres and games evolve, and Smash has become something more than Nintendo. It's a celebration of all things games, and that in itself is a heartwarming-awesome moment. I would not have it any other way. Something Yahtzee will never understand. Plus, Nintendo already have most of the their franchises in the game any ways. Another super obscure game or character from Big N is not gonna make much of a difference at this point. Let the other non-Nintendo IPs get theirs.

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I think the thing is that you're looking at it from a "why wouldn't Nintendo take him" angle, when the real problem comes from the "why would Microsoft give him" angle.
Well, okay, but you could apply that to Banjo and Steve as well?

I mean, putting any character in Smash from an outside company is win-win. If MC got in Smash, Nintendo fans might say "who's this guy? I want to play Halo," whereas Halo fans might say "MC's in Smash? Alright, I'm gonna play it." From a financial standpoint, it absolutely makes sense. From an artistic one though? Well...

Well, take Cloud. Final Fantasy was Nintendo exclusive from FF1-6, but FF7 was PS1 exclusive; a console that rivalled the N64, and mocked the N64 in its marketing. Yet Cloud gets in, rather than, say, Cecil, or Tera. And why? Because FF7 is the most popular FF game, and Cloud's the 'face' of FF7, so do the math.

(Which is more than Square Enix can with their FF games :p)

Then everyone would suffer like G did. Do you want that?
Alright, hand on my heart, I burst out laughing when I read that, so well played.

Fighting games live on crossover appeal. It's do or die. It's not like the old days, but this is not a bad thing. Genres and games evole, and Smas has become something more than Nintendo. It's a celebration of all things games, and that in itself is a heartwarming-awesome moment. I would not have it any other way. Something Yahtzee will never understand. Plus, Nintendo already have most of the their franchises in the game any ways. Another super obscure game or character from Big N is not gonna make much of a difference at this point. Let the other non-Nintendo IPs get theres.
Well, sort of. Mortal Kombat went down a similar route with its most recent entry, bringing in characters that, to be frank, really had no business being there IMO. Obviously any industry is going to make a compromise between art and profit, but I can't say its heartening to watch. I mean, yeah, sure, I played as Link a lot in Soul Calibur II, but that was one guest character out of an entire roster. I figure though if you want a "celebration of all things games," then actually make a game where that's its mission statement. Smash started out as a "celebration of all things Nintendo," after all, and to be frank, there's still holes in the roster. Like, why have another FE swordsman when you could throw in Isaac from Golden Sun? Why have Steve (a guy who builds things), when you could have Andy from Advance Wars (a guy who fixes things)? I mean, yeah, sure, I'm biaised as hell when it comes to those IPs, but it's not like there's other Nintendo IPs that still don't have playable characters. And even in the realm of exposure, again, does Cloud for instance need any more exposure? Does Steve? If we're making the argument of exposing non-Nintendo IPs, a lot of the IPs in question aren't obscure. That's the point of spotlighting them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Smash started out as a "celebration of all things Nintendo," after all, and to be frank, there's still holes in the roster. Like, why have another FE swordsman when you could throw in Isaac from Golden Sun? Why have Steve (a guy who builds things), when you could have Andy from Advance Wars (a guy who fixes things)?
All good points, but those games, genres, or franchises are more niche than Fire Emblem. Both Advance Wars and Golden Sun's games came out in the mid to late 2000s, and both have been radio silence ever since. I know AW is getting the remake on Switch, so at least it's something.

The reason Steve is there is because Minecraft is popular with lots of kids. Lots of kids! Plus, all of that mullah!

And even in the realm of exposure, again, does Cloud for instance need any more exposure? Does Steve? If we're making the argument of exposing non-Nintendo IPs, a lot of the IPs in question aren't obscure. That's the point of spotlighting them.
Cloud? No, but tell that to the humongous FF7 fan base. FF7 was my first FF game too, but it did not bother me he got in the roster. FF7 was a culture landmark for JRPGs everywhere and put the PS1 on the map. Why shouldn't he be on the roster at this point? I know FF7 got over exposed in the mid 2000s and Advent Children sucked, but I am not gonna let that sour me. At least Square learned something from it.

Steve? Yes.

If we're making the argument of exposing non-Nintendo IPs, a lot of the IPs in question aren't obscure. That's the point of spotlighting them.
The size of the world has changed. The mission statement changed. The game has changed. Do you know the smell of the game?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, okay, but you could apply that to Banjo and Steve as well?
Those are entirely separate characters, each with their own "cache". And while I personally think it would be smart to put the Master Chief in Smash as a hype-builder for Infinite, there's no telling what sort of internal politics or executive decision-making are at play in Microsoft's halls.

I mean, we are talking about the same company which thought that showing off "Craig" was a brilliant idea.

Reactions: BrawlMan