My theory about Dead Island.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
The reason no one's really talking about Dead Island (other than people who haven't played it with a fan-boyish penchant for another particular 'better' game), is that we're all to busy playing it.

I just spent about 8 solid hours playing Dead Island, and I only stopped because I had to come to work. The single player is genuinely unsettling and spooky, and the multi-player is a blast, if a bit less tense.

The controls take a bit of getting used to (like any game), but once you do, they're as natural as anything else. Before long, I was violently and repeatedly curbstopming zombies to conserve my weapons with great ease, and even delivering running, flying crane kicks to zombies like a pro. (For bonus awesome, drop kick one off a balcony, or through a glass window, or into fire or electric wires.)

Almost everything I want to do, I find my self able. There are limits, sure, but way less than I'm used to. I could swim. I could jump off a pier and kick a zombie in the water below in the head. I can throw a knife into a zombie, running kick it, pull the knife out when it's down, and then decapitate it with said knife.

And the island is huge. I thought I was stuck in a 'go here, now back here, repeat' style game, until I got in a truck and just drove, finding people that needed help and supplies along the way. I was thoroughly impressed. It's an RPG after all, and mindlessly grinding through the missions isn't using the game to it's full potential.

Anyways, this isn't a review, and I'm gushing, so I'll digress to a few inquiries;

1. Is my theory correct? Have you been playing for so long you're unable to tear yourself away to comment? (Which I realize you won't be able to answer until then.)

And,

2. If you have, what's your favorite thing about the game? Me? It's the jumpkicks. Definitely the fun you can have with jumpkicks. Also, the curbstomping. Best stress relief, evar.

If you haven't played it, but want to ask any questions, feel free. I'm here at work for 8 hours, until I can return to my new favorite hang out, Dead Island.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
I'm not playing it and don't plan on it, the reason being that it sounds like horrible, glitch-ridden garbage.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
NickCaligo42 said:
I'm not playing it and don't plan on it, the reason being that it sounds like horrible, glitch-ridden garbage.
To be fair, bugs don't make a game bad. Minecraft was and still is horrendously buggy at times. Bugs get fixed quickly, and the extra 2 days tacked on for the steam release date is probably in aid of this. I was just given this game for my bday so I'm pretty stoked :) It unlocks in 2 days on steam so I guess we'll find out then.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
I really don't plan on buying it because it seems to be Left 4 Dead.

And I don't think there hasn't been talk because people have been playing it, its because the people who really care are chatting among themselves about it, while others are just sitting there waiting for another game to come that will, basically, in a nutshell, blow the game to smithereens in a month or so.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm not playing it because I haven't given it any attention from the start. I don't think I even made it through the entire teaser trailer that everyone was so excited about. Regardless of the quality of the game, it's coming out at a time where just the sight of a zombie in any sort of media makes me want to vomit. Zombies have been so overdone in recent years that even if I was told by everyone on Earth that Dead Island was the best game ever created I still wouldn't play it.

SimpleChimp

Jun 11, 2009
I am not playing it souly because i have been to busy to get my copy. But rest assured. When i do i will play the shit out of it.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
It's not. I'm actually disappointed I haven't found any bugs yet (on 360).

Aprilgold said:

And I don't think there hasn't been talk because people have been playing it, its because the people who really care are chatting among themselves about it, while others are just sitting there waiting for another game to come that will, basically, in a nutshell, blow the game to smithereens in a month or so.
It's not L4D. Trust me, I LOVE L4D. This is like L4d, borderlands, and Fallout all had a sex baby.

StriderShinryu said:
I'm not playing it because I haven't given it any attention from the start. I don't think I even made it through the entire teaser trailer that everyone was so excited about. Regardless of the quality of the game, it's coming out at a time where just the sight of a zombie in any sort of media makes me want to vomit. Zombies have been so overdone in recent years that even if I was told by everyone on Earth that Dead Island was the best game ever created I still wouldn't play it.
Sorry to hear you'll be missing out. :( To each their own though. :)

SimpleChimp said:
I am not playing it souly because i have been to busy to get my copy. But rest assured. When i do i will play the shit out of it.
Yes. Yes you will. ^_^

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
Aprilgold said:

It's not L4D. Trust me, I LOVE L4D. This is like L4d, borderlands, and Fallout all had a sex baby.
Now which was a female in that scenario? Because the female would give more traits, if I remember correctly.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Aprilgold said:
Aprilgold said:

Now which was a female in that scenario? Because the female would give more traits, if I remember correctly.
I'd say it was MFF, with Fallout and Borderlands being the chicks, in that case.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Aprilgold said:
Aprilgold said:

I'd say it takes the most out of Fallout 3, in terms of being atmospheric in a more realistic way. As well, the melee weapons handle a lot like the two new Fallouts in my opinion.

It does take a lot from borderlands though. The four player jump-in, jump-out co-op (which I haven't been able to use thanks to PC being mean), the fact that the story is pretty much non-existant so far (though I'm not very far myself, still on act one. And it does have more story the Borderlands... hmm... might be more like fallout in that reguard. A story, but you get distracted too easy. The side-quests are more like Borderlands at least. No real 'plot' to them like Fallout).

I'd say it's least like L4D. The only things it has in common is 4 player co-op and zombies... so it has the same ammount in commmon as it does with Nazi Zombies really.

Anyways, I'm just waiting for the bugs to be fixed. They are very bad on PC version right now, but I trust they'll be handled before too long. Plus it sounds like the PC gamers are going to be getting something in return for the trouble.

Extasii

May 22, 2009
I'm too busy playing Space Marine.
Sorry, s'truth.
Might pick it up for X-mas though.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
My impression is that it's more like they all had an illegitimate, inbred, malnourished child; a combination of all their worst traits as opposed to their best.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
My impression is that it's more like they all had an illegitimate, inbred, malnourished child; a combination of all their worst traits as opposed to their best.
I would suggest that perhaps you purchase a new impression-filter. Yours seems to be broken... or horribly biased.

This game is so much fun, I'm actually glad not too many of your typical Bro, headshots, bro crowd are actually playing it. Keeps those 'types' away from my precious awesome game.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I like the game, though I really don't find the immersion/fear other people are saying.
The kick is just hilariously overpowered, especially in the beginning when you should feel the most vulnerable. The first hotel thing when you're supposed to run away from the zombies, I was like oh...the kick doesn't take stamina....kick kick kick...ha I won....
Second, the health kits/energy drinks are damn near everywhere. Seriously there are way too much of them around to make things really that scary. The only time I was really desperate for a health pack was when I went far off paths into the jungle.

I'm also a bit miffed with the co-op play. You can't really link up with other people if you're 'X' levels ahead of them, I'm level 20 already after 3 hours of play and I can't find a single person to play with.

Also, when I got to actually play with people around level 8-10, the throwing character kinda sucks to play with other people, you throw a weapon, and if you didn't invest in boomerang or it didn't proc the change to come back to you, people will run up and steal your rare weapons.

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
Im loving the hell out of this game, honestly the one and only criticism I can give it, and this may not even be the games fault, is that I have yet to find a single person online to play it with. So im 15 hours in between two characters, and have yet to get to play this 4 player Co-op game cooperatively.

It's depressin man.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Or maybe people simply don't/aren't like/playing the game or are playing other games?

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
I'm not getting it because the game itself does not look like at all lives up to the awesome first trailer.