My theory about Dead Island.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
2. If you have, what's your favorite thing about the game? Me? It's the jumpkicks. Definitely the fun you can have with jumpkicks. Also, the curbstomping. Best stress relief, evar.

If you haven't played it, but want to ask any questions, feel free. I'm here at work for 8 hours, until I can return to my new favorite hang out, Dead Island.
Have you played mirrors edge?
You know the game where you can wall run jump, 360 spin kick enemy in head
and curbstomping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HxUU2d4Aeo you can do that at any height and survive like saaaaaaay a 60ft drop in a sewer onto a sniperthen wall run jump kick his friend

Watchmacallit

Jan 7, 2010
I think it will be good. I preordered it from England and was just sent the notification that its being delivered. Which is awesome because it will take up to a week to get here so I can get my test, essay, report and oral presentation out of the way :)

It looks good and fun. I just hope it doesn't get too easy later on.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Has it got local multiplayer?
If not I'll probably wait a bit for the price to go down.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
I'll be getting this game on friday, due to the fact i'm english and thats when it comes out for me. I've pre ordered it and plan to play it as much as i can the day i get it and every day after that. I have got a few questions though, maybe you can help.

1. How many weapons can you carry at a time? I notice there's an inventory screen and a hotwheel to select weapons from, but how many can you carry at once?

2. How long is this game? You mentioned playing for 8 hours. How far through are you? Because i want a game i can play for a long time, so does this fit the bill?

3. How does the level progression work? I know the zombies get stronger as you get stronger, but is it everywhere? For example, during the start of the game, you are level 2-3 and so are the zombies in the area. Later, the zombies are a higher level in a different place, and so are you. But can you get a high level and come back to some place with low level zombies?

Thats all i can think of for now, unless you want to tell me how the melee works. Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to this game!

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
Having a hands on review from another gamer is always nice, frankly since I'm living in Britain I have to wait till this coming friday to get a copy, but now that you've told me about the usefulness of kicking zombies I'll be sure to take it into stock when I'm fighting.
It all sounds very promising, especially after this :)

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I say old chap said:
In Australia, we must wait. There are plenty of shrimp to cook on the barbie though.

I can see it isn't exactly like left4dead (more melee and rescuing survivors for a start), like the genre and zombies, so I'll get into it.
There goes the last of our respect.
I kid, I kid.

OT: Yes we are in Australia (Or ban it all land as some of you guys call it), it is coming out on Friday and I can wait to do some solo and online killing!

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Andrew_Mac said:
I'll be getting this game on friday, due to the fact i'm english and thats when it comes out for me. I've pre ordered it and plan to play it as much as i can the day i get it and every day after that. I have got a few questions though, maybe you can help.

1. How many weapons can you carry at a time? I notice there's an inventory screen and a hotwheel to select weapons from, but how many can you carry at once?

2. How long is this game? You mentioned playing for 8 hours. How far through are you? Because i want a game i can play for a long time, so does this fit the bill?

3. How does the level progression work? I know the zombies get stronger as you get stronger, but is it everywhere? For example, during the start of the game, you are level 2-3 and so are the zombies in the area. Later, the zombies are a higher level in a different place, and so are you. But can you get a high level and come back to some place with low level zombies?

Thats all i can think of for now, unless you want to tell me how the melee works. Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to this game!
I can carry about 10 or so, unlocking more quick equip slots as I level, and/or by spending xp in my skill tree to unlock an extra two.As for how many you can have quick-equipped; seems like 7.

It's pretty long. At 9+ hours, I'm 20% complete with the main missions. But there are so many side missions... sooo many. ^_^

3. They stay around your level throughout, like right below, the same, or slightly higher, to keep difficulty up and work in more strategies. Like meleeing and kicking small roups of walkers, and tossing molotovs at, or fury attacking, higher level crowds and special types.etc

Melee reminds me of Condemend mixed with Oblivion. There's also a slight auto aim at specific body parts, but it's only a guide for when to strike, and can move quite easily. Very satisfying. I also enjoy that when you panic, and get swarmed, you instinctively lash out, abandoning all hope of aiming. It's quite intense.

Sinspiration said:
Having a hands on review from another gamer is always nice, frankly since I'm living in Britain I have to wait till this coming friday to get a copy, but now that you've told me about the usefulness of kicking zombies I'll be sure to take it into stock when I'm fighting.
It all sounds very promising, especially after this :)
You're most welcome. It was indeed, a pleasure. ^_^

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Well, I'm really bored of zambies and the weapon deterioration looks annoying as all hell. Plus there are so many games comming out and I can't afford them all. I was terrible at Dead Rising too.
I'll rent it and if I like it I'll buy it after Skyrim....and SR3....and Batman.

Extasii

May 22, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
PowCoJG said:
I'm too busy playing Space Marine.
Sorry, s'truth.
Might pick it up for X-mas though.
Pretty much this. Around the time an assault marine was jumping through the sky, about to land on my head and ruin my day, but instead of that, I was blasting him clean out of the sky with a heavy bolter I thought "Dead what now?"
I'm personally loving the campaign too much to even touch the multiplayer until after I'm done with it. That, and work, are basically the only things keeping me away from shoving a Thunder Hammer into someone's spine.

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
i wasnt planning on getting this game with dark souls, gears 3, skyrim, saints row 3, uncharted 3, and mw3 right around the corner. however i watched a few reviews yesterday and i decided wtf y not. i have to say i am pleasantly surprised how good this game is. i played about 2 hours by myself and about 3 hours in 2 player co op with sum1 on my friends list. i would highly reccomend this game to anyone who isnt goin to empty thier bank account in the next few months

Aeschines Rival

Apr 2, 2010
I was really enjoying this game up until a few hours ago. But sadly, I can verify that the reports are true- this game (still) has some serious bugs that need to be addressed. I'm not talking about "game design" decisions that some have bemoaned (can't look behind me when backing up in a vehicle, etc)- I'm talking about game ending glitches. I stopped by the escapist to see if folks here are running in to/reporting these issues as well (since the dead island unofficial fan forums are just crammed full of them) and was surprised to see very few complaints, and even several people asserting that there are no problems, or that the recent patch has fixed the game. Like I said, I really, really liked this game up until I ran into my own game ending glitch. Here's my sad story:

I can no longer load my save (xbox version)

Character: Purna
Chapter 11: Down the River
Active Quest: Soldier of Fortune
Main Plot Progress: 70%
Time Played: 45h 15m 34s
Cooperative: Game Not Visible

I never used this character online; this was a 100% solo run.

I'd just wrapped up the side quests for
the Old Smokey Mod (Get the recording or something like that) and the Purple Military Machete (Find the Crashed Plane).
I stopped by a workbench and used them together. I then moved some older purple weapons (and maybe a few bottles of alcohol) from my inventory to Jin's. Then I quit/saved for the night.

When I tried to load up my save today, it froze on the load screen about 15 seconds in. I tried clearing my XBOX cache, uninstalling/reinstalling the game, downloading the v1.1 patch again- basically every suggestion I saw on any forum. At each step in the process, I tried to load my save. Each time it just froze.

After scanning the forums, my best guess is I've encountered the "inventory glitch." The user community seems to feel that if you put to many items (or to many items of a certain type) in Jin's storage, it will make your game un-loadable. I didn't have much in Jin's inventory, compared to what some people have posted they do with no loading issues. I was using 40-50 slots at most; maybe 10 stacks of alcohol, a single stack of large med kits, and somewhere between 30-40 weapons (mostly purple, and a few blues and oranges).

Hoping I might be able to edit my save and fix the problem myself, I searched around for a Dead Island save editor. I found a few, but even the most fully featured one I could track down currently only allows you to edit items in your player inventory, not Jin's. Hoping it might be related to my player inventory (I did have a ton of weapon mod items in my inventory) I zeroed every item slot out and then tried loading that save. No luck there either- it still froze.

For now, I'm just going to calmly put the game on my "maybe later" pile and come back to it in a month or so. Hopefully by then Techland will have patches out that fix the various issues related to corrupted/unloadable saves (and I've found many reported, with the first ptach only addressing a minority of the problems), or the folks working on the save editors will have a fully featured one out that will let me edit Jin's inventory (if that is indeed what's causing my problem).

It's too bad this game went out the door without sufficient beta testing. Well, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was because of insufficient time/resources for beta testing. Of course they could have known about the major issues and decided to ship the product anyway... but that would just be evil. So I'm sticking with too little time/money to fully beta test for now. Whatever the reason, it's definitely made me wary of Techland as a developer. Not that I'm in the "never again you b*st*rds" camp. I actually think that deep down there's a lot of fun to be had with this game. I can even overlook some of the (many) game elements that I don't enjoy; not being able to look behind me when backing up in a car, really bad jumping/climbing inclines and stairs, and even the dreaded weapon disappearing into the ground issue (or the ether when you try to move an item from Jin into your already full inventory). But having an entire save go corrupt or become un-loadable is just a bit much for me to stomach.

I do hope Techland makes more games in this vein (even a sequel) but I won't be buying it until it's been out for a few months so I can be certain it isn't plagued with this level of game ending glitches and bugs.

Of course, if they don't eventually address the major glitches this game has... well then I might have to shun them entirely, which is sad. I really love online coop games, and there just aren't enough of them out there. This game could have been the new king in that category. Maybe it still will be. One can hope.

But for now, I'd recommend that if you haven't already picked up the game, then wait a bit. You might be one of the lucky ones that play right through without having a save go corrupt or become un-loadable... but do you want to risk it? I wish I hadn't. :(

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I may play it when the price goes down and it gets properly fixed for the PC.
I'm certainly interested, even if I already have Left 4 Dead 1/2 and Borderlands.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
People aren't talking about it because if they were to list all the things wrong with it they'd need at least 12 hours. Every single aspect of this game sucks.