My thoughts on "Kick-Ass"

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Alright, so I just watched Kick-Ass (haven't read the comic book). My verdict? It's...OK.

I believe it to be an entertaining pastiche of the superhero genre of comic books, but it's somewhat overrated. Hit-Girl, in particular, seems to exist more for shock value than anything, and the novelty of an eleven-year-old girl nonchalantly killing criminals with a katana wears thin after a while. None of the characters are that original; Dave or "Kick-Ass", the main character, is a more underwhelming version of Peter Parker who fulfils the cliché of the awkward comic book nerd who starts thinking with his dick the minute the typical school princess comes onto the scene. The storyline isn't original either; there just isn't that much to say about it other than..."meh".

Then again, maybe that wasn't the point. It's meant to be the creator's perhaps personal love letter to comic books, with amusing insider nudges and a relatively realistic context. I think the best scene was when Big Daddy broke into D'Amico's warehouse, beat up the goons and set it alight before leaving.

I recall that the creator made a note of the violence, saying he was trying to be realistic with how much damage the characters recieve in contrast to mainstream comics that tend to shy away from that, which is one of its best qualities. But even then, I don't get why people were waving their arms about in celebrating over it. Is it because it's a comedy of some sorts? The cartoonish bloody violence does play a big part in the humour in that respect, but that's hardly the main thing I'd talk about in terms of why it's good.

Overall, it's hard to think of it as anything above average, but it's still a nicely entertaining film.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
my guess is you went into it with high-expectations, when I first saw it I thought it would be alright, run of the mill comedy kinda like 'the watchmen' but not as serious.

Which is why I was pleasantly surprised by it, I'll admit that hit-girl isn't my favorite (I agree she seems to be mostly about 'shock value') but other than that the movie was quite well done.

I don't know if I'd go out of my way to watch it again, but if you have time to kill it's not the worst choice for a movie.

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
There are far worse superhero movies out there. It's fun, that's all I care about.

[sub][sub]Moo! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9iIgQN5uZE][/sub][/sub]

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Well I think you looked at the movie to much for its face value rather than appreciating the subtleties in why things were done the way they were and how they constantly kept playing the with the tone to help set the overwhelming drasticness of the situation and how kick-ass simply was caught up unable to do anything.

What I found amazing about the movie is how at the flip of a coin it went from being light hearted guy trying to be a hero to huge conspiracy with insane people he has no chance against and how he so quickly gets swept into a situation that is way out of his hands.

In many ways it sorta parody's the comic genre by playing it normal then quickly raising the scales and escalating it faster than the character can keep up till he hits the stark reality that he isn't in a comic world and he can just as easily die.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I laughed my ass off, funny story I got to watch it for free I just walked into a random screen after the film I paid to watch finished. It was better than Super.

Teimuraz

Mar 21, 2011
When I just got the DVD, I thought I was going to see some kind of superhero movie parody.
What I discovered was the fact, that the film had nothing to do with parody. Of course, we can draw some paralel lines beetween Dave and Peter Parker, but the idea of two characters is completely different.
Of course, film had some entertaining moments, like the begining, and some jokes from the characters
Action scenes were suprisingly good, what I especially liked was the momnet when Hit-Girl tried to save Big Daddy, and the gun battle in the corridor.
But where this film trully shines, is the soundtrack. Every composition fitted perfectly into onscreen action, either if it is a monologue, or a wild action, music just fitted perfectly. I liked every original piece of the score, as well as song by Gnarles Barkley, which Kickass and Red Mist were enjoying in Mist Mobile.

Overall, film was great for me.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
I liked it, i thought it was a good mix between funny moments and more serious arcs. Admittedly i watched it while seeing my cousins for the first time in half a year so maybe that affected my judgement.

My favourite moments was the dude who threw himself off the building and everybody expecting him to fly. The anti-climax was sublime, i snorted beer out of my nose.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Kick-Ass was boring as balls. Then again, I didn't like Superbad or Hangover so I apparently don't have much taste for the modern "comedy".

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I loved Kick Ass. Wasn't so much of a laugh fest for me but I loved the action and watching Hit Girl destroy grown ass men was such a treat.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Kick Ass is one of my favorite comic book movies. I actually liked it better than the comic, the comic was way darker and way more violent.

KP Shadow

Jul 7, 2009
I own a bootleg DVD of it (yes, those still exist), but I have yet to actually watch it.