My Top 30 Games (30 - 27)

Jun 6, 2009
I'm not fully sure if this fit into User Reviews or Gaming Discussion, but then again list threads don't really fit into either, and this has more of a brief run down of why I find these games so great, so User Reviews it is. NOTE:All Images to save space are under spoiler tags.

#30 DragonQuest: Rocket Slime: 2006 NDS: This game is an odd one to start the list, but the thing this game does so well, more than many other games is replay value. If you were to start playing it with no prior knowledge, I wouldn't blame you if you quit the game after 30 minutes and yell, "I've gone bonkers!". The story is most likely one of the worst ever in gaming. "So what? I fight my way to the last level, so a stupid princess blows a flute to unleash a last boss only heard of once? I fight a brooding anti-hero over and over again who is almost as similar to main character, like how Shadow is to Sonic? [small]Sorta.[/small]"
No, story telling Isn't DragonQuest Rocket Slime's key point, no were here to Tank Batlle. The Tank battles come late in the second level, where you collect, or create ammo to use in your tank to fire at your enemy. After depleteing their Hit Points, you storm their tank and blow up their central core. This proved to be so fun, as soon as the Tank Arena opened up in-game, I forgot the story all together until the requirments to unlock final Tank Battle, was to the beat the main story. This mode of battle proved so good, I started hoping an FPS would do that, and this was before BF2142 came out(thinly veiled hint). But besides it's horrible story, It's still a game I replay, just so I can launch golden missiles at a tank that looks like a duck. BoS Score 9.0: Exceptional

#29 Hamtaro Ham-Ham Games: 2004 GBA: If you start raising eyebrows at this, I don't blame you. There I was 13 years old, and I decided for shits and giggles, to try one of my younger cousins games, only to find myself liking it. If you don't know who Hamtaro is all you have to do is to go to hamtaro.com (If it still exsists) and understand why it is odd for me to add this game, and for you wondering why I added it too. It's basically loosely based on a kiddie version of the olympics,(like the Mario and Sonic at the olympics) scaled down to the size of a hamster.
Now odd as the premise may be, the minigames that make up the whole story (marathon, archery, high diving, tennis and at least 10 more) are suprisingly fun to play and simmple to do. And that's where HHHG excels more than most sports games. Simplicity. When comparing it to another handheld sports game, the PSP version of NBA street, as much as I could get into the whole trick moves and, basic moves, it still managed to piss me off when I couldn't pull of a damn gamebreaker move before my opponent. But HHHG somehow makes playing volleyball and any other sport as simple as playing with a yo-yo, and I somehow will never get tired of it. BoS Score: 9.0 Exceptional

#28: Medal of Honor Frontline: GCN 2002: This was the first console FPS I ever really got into. As much as I played Goldeneye, and had Half-Life for my PC, I never really could figure out how to use a controller sucsessfully with a FPS game. Then MOH Frontline came out and helped me into the genre of FPS. The story again, isn't really good (I didn't realize I was trying to blow up a fighter plane factory until 75% through the game), but the suprising quality of this game is that all of it's faults are balanced by the fact that the gameplay makes up for it by being simple. You shoot the guns, the bad guys die, you take a few rounds, and run for the nearest health kit. Yet the game's difficulty on Normal was somewhere in between Hard, and S&M painful. Yet I loved every minutes of it. Sure the game was set in 1944 but it also had varied levels that made it seem less monotunous. Sure it had Ohmaha beach, but the game re-released it, before it got boring. They also had, large mansions, submarine pens, a train, have a scene where you sing german songs and get nazis into bar brawls with eachother, Arnehm, Netherlands, where you team up with the British, and a lone brave Dutchan who shoots Nazis with his shotgun, and a plane factory.
Sure the graphics look like shit, but once you get waya from the fact it was made 7 years ago, and that it was done before an FPS set in the 1940's was boring, you get to see it as the great game it honestly is. BoS Score: 9.0 Exceptional

#27 Red Faction: PC 2001: This was the second FPS that I got on my computer, (First was Half-Life) and did it suprise me. There honestly isn't much to say about this game except that the story was done well, I was suprised that I could shoot the bridge below an APC to make it fall to a climactic boom, had NPC's that I could care about and was suprised at the grim style that Mars turned out to be, almost to the point where it was at "Total Recall" levels (In certain respects). It was simple, yet hard, which I find is a good quality, it was a blast to play and it made me buy Red Faction: Guerilla, mainly because I skipped out on RF2 and was curious where the series had gone to. BoS Score 9.0 Exceptional

If this is technically a list thread, which I didn't plan for it to be (as much as It's a list of the games that I enjoy the most) It was more of a review. If the mods want me to stop this list I will. But if it isn't the next part will come out in 3 days.

(This, I guess is technically a first try on User Review, so If I haven't done a good job, I'll try to do better next time, if there is one.)

Mobung

Sep 12, 2009
This was very well written, though I feel the scores are a bit redundant. Since the theme is BoS's Top 30, I would be quite surprised to see a game with a score lower than five. Or even seven.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
I like it! But I would get rid of the scores they feel silly, considering it's a Top XX list.

Hope you continue the list, and Frontline is awesome.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
oliveira8 said:
I like it! But I would get rid of the scores they feel silly, considering it's a Top XX list.

Hope you continue the list, and Frontline is awesome.
Just got it. I cant pass the frikkin beach!!!