Mysterious Phone Lures CliffyB Towards Ubisoft

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Redstorm. The studio is a couple minute drive from Epic.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
He hates PC gamers too so he'll fit right in.
Haha well done sir! You think with all these companies looking to court him, he'll actually stay retired for awhile?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
shiajun said:
I agree. The recent Rayman Origns has lifted a little bit of the blight I see on Ubisoft. Though, BG&E 2 should only ever be in the hands of Michel Ancel. Keep Cliffy B faaaaar away from it.
Don't worry, Ancel is still on BG&E2. Apparently he's been a little too busy with Rayman games to move forward with the sequel, if Ubisoft is to be believed.

Adam Jensen said:
But Ubisoft got rid of their draconian DRM (and saw over 50% spike in digital sales). And CliffyB told indie developers to make games exclusively for the PC - and to never jump to consoles for their cutthroat deals.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Incoming CliffyB hate and moaning about how he's going to ruin everything Ubisoft publishes.
I think Ubisoft do that well enough by themselves.

Back on topic though, this is the perfect example of slumming it. He couldn't do worse if he went to a crappy match-three game publisher.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
HardRockSamurai said:
That is easily the sketchiest way of trying to set up a business meeting that I've ever heard of.
I once tried to get a job at Ubisoft by throwing a brick with a resume wrapped around it through the window of one of their executives. I have a feeling they got the idea from me.
My sister works in advertising, and she knows people who've tried that stunt (and weirder!) to get jobs at top agencies. In such a competitive industry, just getting noticed is tough enough.

The best one she's heard of was a guy who printed his portfolio onto business cards and put them inside a wallet labelled with the name of the head of the ad agency he wanted to work for. He then got into that agency's building and left the wallet in the toilets. A random employee found the wallet and - seeing the name inside - assumed it belonged to the head of the agency, so gave it to him.

The guy didn't get a job offer, but he was complimented on the stunt.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
That is easily the sketchiest way of trying to set up a business meeting that I've ever heard of.

You know, maybe Ubisoft isn't trying to hire him. Maybe they just kidnapped his daughter...
Somehow it feels like they might merely be matching their methods to the person. You don't get a crazy on board by being boring.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
*Remembers Ubisoft getting rid of their DLC*

*Remembers Cliffy B creating Unreal Tournament, on of the best PC shooters of its time*

Right.....hates PC gamers...

Captcha:eek:key-dokey

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MetalMagpie said:
My sister works in advertising, and she knows people who've tried that stunt (and weirder!) to get jobs at top agencies. In such a competitive industry, just getting noticed is tough enough.
I was being facetious, but I'm not entirely surprised.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
*Remembers Cliffy B creating Unreal Tournament, on of the best PC shooters of its time*
Well, since past sentiments prove exactly what you think now and negate more recent events, you've totally proven him wrong.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
MetalMagpie said:
I was being facetious, but I'm not entirely surprised.
I was pretty amazed myself to find out that the resume-wrapped-around-brick-hurled-through-window stunt is an actual thing people do! Software development is not that competitive (or maybe just not that crazy...)

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
JonB said:
For my part, I'm ready for Assassin's Creed with chainsaws.
That's exactly what Assassin's Creed was missing: chainsaw-wielding space marines and cover-based shooting.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Well, since past sentiments prove exactly what you think now and negate more recent events, you've totally proven him wrong.
Sorry, I don't cherry pick reasons to hate CliffyB. That would be like ignoring most of Shigeru Miyamoto's career to hate on him for Wii Music and Wii Fit.

I'm looking at Cliify B's entire career. Most of it is on the PC, even Bulletstorm. And Most of his work is great. I'm not like a lot of people on this site who chose to hate him solely based on Gears of War. That's just petty.

Kevin7557

May 31, 2008
Let's be honest this man has not actually done anything that great for gaming outside being able to hype up games but lets face it Peter Molyneux was way better at that job.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Sorry, I don't cherry pick reasons to hate CliffyB.
Right. You just cherrypicked reasons to praise him. Which is totally okay because said cherrypicking benefits you.

Or ponies. Maybe it's because ponies.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
shiajun said:
I agree. The recent Rayman Origns has lifted a little bit of the blight I see on Ubisoft. Though, BG&E 2 should only ever be in the hands of Michel Ancel. Keep Cliffy B faaaaar away from it.
Don't worry, Ancel is still on BG&E2. Apparently he's been a little too busy with Rayman games to move forward with the sequel, if Ubisoft is to be believed.

Adam Jensen said:
But Ubisoft got rid of their draconian DRM (and saw over 50% spike in digital sales). And CliffyB told indie developers to make games exclusively for the PC - and to never jump to consoles for their cutthroat deals.
You realise you can't win with these people right? In the face of logic, they will cling to their one bit of "proof" (gears ports) and that means you are wrong.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
(Cherrypicked Quote)Sorry, I don't cherry pick reasons to hate CliffyB.
Right. You just cherrypicked reasons to praise him. Which is totally okay because said cherrypicking benefits you.

Or ponies. Maybe it's because ponies.

AzrealMaximillion said:
(Full Context Quote)
Sorry, I don't cherry pick reasons to hate CliffyB. That would be like ignoring most of Shigeru Miyamoto's career to hate on him for Wii Music and Wii Fit.

I'm looking at Cliify B's entire career. Most of it is on the PC, even Bulletstorm. And Most of his work is great. I'm not like a lot of people on this site who chose to hate him solely based on Gears of War. That's just petty.
Wow, way to attack the first sentence of the quote and nothing else. Are you even trying to debate anything here?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Wow, way to attack the first sentence of the quote and nothing else. Are you even trying to debate anything here?
The full context changes nothing. You're still clearly cherry-picking and whitewashing his career. And that's fine. I can't change your mind. But the problem as presented was that you had tried to counter a notion by giving a single, dated example. Then, even as you said it (no matter how bolded you claim you're "looking at his whole career"), you are still producing cherry-picked responses.

Also, it was not an attack. I don't know your temperament here, but I was merely addressing a disingenuous notion. If you wish to address this more thoroughly, that's fine; I'm not all that concerned one way or another. That's not to say I believe you are wrong, but an actual argument would neither ruin my day nor hurt my feelings any. In fact, I would find a better defined and structured argument on the Escapist to be refreshing.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
The full context changes nothing. You're still clearly cherry-picking and whitewashing his career.
You've proven this how? You haven even provived any reason as to why you think his career is a bad one. You've just disagreed with me and attacked me with worthless points. Tell me specifically why Cliffy's career was bad for video games.

Come on now, actually debate for realsies.

Looking at his entire career, he's done more good than bad. And the bad that he done is really just a bunch of people who nit pick a few issues out of what was a 20 year career.

Edit: Considering you started this little debate here with this vague statement:
Zachary Amaranth said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'd like to ask, what recent events has earned CliffyB the ire of "hating PC gamers" that you decided not to elaborate on in the first place.