Mystery Science Fiction Theatre 3000 fans required.

Feb 13, 2008
Ok, being an English guy, I have great difficulty in watching all of these - but I may have come into a way of getting them, and as it's my birthday soon...

Which DVD/Series/movies should I get?

Caveat: If you're gonna say "None of them", then there's a whole sub-forum for you to be negative on below this one :p

Caveat 2: Unless you're being negative ironically, in which case I shall just taunt you with cries of "Crow!!"

Caveat 3: Ok - a dispute over whether they're public domain or not - while we solve that, can we still recommend the good ones? (Manos-Hands of Fate is a certainty either way)

ryderawsome

Apr 23, 2009
is that different from mystery science theatre 3000? if not manos hands of fate is the worst film theyve mocked (think my eyes started bleeding) and the funniest was it came from space (a creature so terrifying they had to use "the grenade")

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
oh and my personal favourite was the final sacrifice, series episode 10 episode 9. can't remember any of manos, except them commenting that the title means hands: the hands of fate, i think i might have blocked it out it was so bad. :p

btw ryder is right its just 'mystery science theatre' not 'science fiction theatre'.

Feb 13, 2008
milkkart said:
you realise that site has no affiliation to the people who made the show and none of the money you pay will be going to the people who made it right?
Yep, because the original guys are here:
http://www.rifftrax.com/

But I've no legal way to get MST3K films, and I get some rifftrax as well.

you might as well just grab them off bittorrent, burn them to dvd yourself and save your money. there also a shoutcastTV stream that shows MST3K pretty much none stop.
I'm curious on the legality of this - anyone able to state it for certain?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
you might as well just grab them off bittorrent, burn them to dvd yourself and save your money. there also a shoutcastTV stream that shows MST3K pretty much none stop.

It's not legal. I'm not saying don't do it, but it is very not legal. Well the bittorrent anyway, I've never bothered with shoutcast.

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
milkkart said:
you realise that site has no affiliation to the people who made the show and none of the money you pay will be going to the people who made it right?
Yep, because the original guys are here:
http://www.rifftrax.com/

But I've no legal way to get MST3K films, and I get some rifftrax as well.

buying the DVDs from mst3uk.co.uk and download them or watching a stream is exactly the same from a legal standpoint, i.e. they're both illegal. effectively by buying those DVDs you're paying someone to download MST3k (though presumably they already have it) burn it to a disc and post it to you.

can you buy MST3k from the rifftrax site? if not id just download it and support the creators by buying the rifftrax stuff.

there do appear to be DVD boxsets for sale on amazon btw, US imports though.

Feb 13, 2008
milkkart said:
can you buy MST3k from the rifftrax site? if not id just download it and support the creators by buying the rifftrax stuff.
No...and that makes me nervous about what the "real deal" is...hence asking around people who are likely to know.

I'd prefer to help Mike, Joel, Tom Servo and Crow but...

milkkart said:
Yeah, and have you seen their prices?? Jeez. Without going into swapping NTSC to PAL...

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
its the eternal fans dilemma
No...and that makes me nervous about what the "real deal" is...hence asking around people who are likely to know.
for sure MST3uk.co.uk isn't legal.

milkkart said:
Yeah, and have you seen their prices?? Jeez. Without going into swapping NTSC to PAL...

yep, there's the second hand copies of course but then still no money goes to mike and co, they're not really much cheaper and you still need a region free player (which are illegal here thanks to some seriously bullshit legislation).

can't believe a series with as many fans as mst3k isn't broadcast on any channel anywhere and has nothing on sale but overpriced out of print DVDs. especially with some the complete crap that passes for TV.

Feb 13, 2008
milkkart said:
It's been up for 5 years...and it's the only place I can get all of them - even the Shoutcast only has specifics.

milkkart said:
can't believe a series with as many fans as mst3k isn't broadcast on any channel anywhere and has nothing on sale but overpriced out of print DVDs. especially with some the complete crap that passes for TV.
Siffie showed them for a bit, but - like everything else - dumped it to show second-rate wrestling.

But thanks for all your info :) - Watching "The Magical Voyage of Sinbad" atm.

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
milkkart said:
It's been up for 5 years...and it's the only place I can get all of them - even the Shoutcast only has specifics.

milkkart said:
Siffie showed them for a bit, but - like everything else - dumped it to show second-rate wrestling.

But thanks for all your info :) - Watching "The Magical Voyage of Sinbad" atm.
yeah it seems like who ever is in charge of licensing for it doesn't really care about unauthorised sales.

i don't get sci-fi or syfy or whatever they're calling themselves these day because i don't pay for sky but i can see it in the schedules and it doesn't look like i'm missing much. seems like there's not much sci-fi and a lot of really crap action movies with steven seagal and the like.

Feb 13, 2008
milkkart said:
i don't get sci-fi or syfy or whatever they're calling themselves these day because i don't pay for sky but i can see it in the schedules and it doesn't look like i'm missing much. seems like there's not much sci-fi and a lot of really crap action movies with steven seagal and the like.
Psify's last decent show was Eureka, which they cancelled at short notice to make way for more crap that no-one watches. Occasionally there's something good on, but it feels tainted by being on that channel. Found DAP [http://www.dapcentral.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=MasterList2&file=index&show=1] though, so might just stick with that.

More suggestions on the best shows though! :)

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
try the beast of yucca flats (apparantly considered one of the worst movies ever made), the thing that couldn't die and the screaming skull.

actually just have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_considered_the_worst it tells you which ones were on mst3k.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
I highly suggest checking out their new stuff on Rifftrax. It's gold and better than MST3K (and I'm a die hard MST3Ker), imo.

Plus, you know you're paying them to keep them coming.

I highly suggest starting with Their Riff on the Fifth Element. I spewed soda from my mouth TWICE while watching that by laughing so hard. (I mean, sure I laughed more than twice, but I only did the spit-take twice.)

So, yeah.

Anyways, check out some of their clips on youtube if you wanna try before you buy kinda deal.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
I''d recommend the episodes:

"Rocketship X-M" Season 2 Episode 1
"Ring of Terror" Season 2 Episode 6
"Pod People" Season 3 Episode 3
"Space Travelers" Season 4 Episode 1
"The Sword and the Dragon" Season 6 Episode 17
"Prince of Space" Season 8 Episode 16
"Space Mutiny" Season 8 Episode 20
"Final Sacrifice" Season 9 Episode 10

That's a good 16 hours. Some of the reeeeeaally bad movies are almost difficult to watch I'd stay away from "The Castle of Fu-Manchu" it's painful.