Mythbusters lobs cannonball over 2000ft off course, Through occupied house and into guy's van

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
This pales in comparison to the story attached to the reason why they're banned from ever going near some town again. Suffice it be said they set off a bomb so large that it blew out every single window in the town which was a few miles away.

Or how they were evicted from their first warehouse for all the crazy stuff they were doing.

This my friends is why the Mythbusters have badass insurance. Because inevitably you're going to fire a cannon that sets of a comical series of events.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
They say a mans home is his castle. Guess that myth... *puts sunglasses on* just got busted.

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
That family now has a fucking great story for family gatherings!
I just hope to hell that this doesn't cause any big problems for Mythbusters...I love that show.

I propose a new rule.
If something of yours gets destroyed by the Mythbusters, as long as it was the result of something awesome, you cannot give them trouble over it.
Any in favor?

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Aethren said:
So wait...It cleared the wall, sailed the distance to the front door, went inside the door, then UP the stairs, THROUGH a bedroom, crashed out the window, then went OVER a 6-lane road before landing in a van's windshield? The dude owning that van must've had seriously bad karma for that.
Either that or the cannon ball was manufactured by the same folks who made the magic bullet that shot JFK.

Jun 13, 2009
Angry that it "could've hit anybody" is taking it a little far..I mean, ricocheting off a hill, through a door, up some stairs and then on into a van isn't exactly something you'd write down when doing a risk assessment before starting this project. It comes off as suggesting they were wantonly careless, instead of it being a fairly convoluted fluke. An awesome convoluted fluke.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I feel bad for Adam and walrus. I mean this has never happened before, and it's a cool show.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
This would be one blemish on a near-perfect record.

I cant think of anything even remotely this bad happening since they crushed that antique dive helmet in the "meatman" episode.

Still when all is said and done, the damage will be repaid, it gets a mention on the show and we get to learn about what the fuck they were doing that could send a cannonball more than 2 miles off course.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I would be honored. If you're going to have a hole put through your house and your car wrecked, it might as well be by the Mythbusters.

ParadiseOnceLost

Jan 26, 2010
2xDouble said:
Sentient6 said:
I wonder if they are going to show it on TV...
They did show it on TV. This was like 2 years ago, the "Leather Cannon" myth.
The story was published today so that is not likely also it said they shot at cinder blocks, but during the testing of the leather cannon myth they shot at water barrels and milk cartons not cinder blocks.

OT: sucks for that guy but the damage was not horrible. I wonder how many times something like this has happened over the years, the dude does live next to a bomb range so I expect that the police have cause a little accidentally debris from time to time.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I would be honored to have the Mythbusters destroy my house by accident. Can't wait to see the episode.
I can understand the instant anger about what happened. That's some pretty dangerous stuff and I'm glad no one got hurt, but Discovery Channel will probably cover all the damages. If it were me I'd also ask to be a guest on the show a couple times.

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
usmarine4160 said:
If I was sleeping and had a cannonball go through the front door, up the stairs, and through my bedroom after my flashback I'd have a good laugh about it. When you think about how bad that could've been it turns out to be funny as hell.

Of course insurance will cover everything so there's no damage.
Yea right...
Sorry sir your policy doesn't cover damage for shells over five and three quarters of an inch. Just look up injuries and deaths caused by cannon balls in the civil war (I'm an American) and it begins to be less funny and more stare at screen for a while and get angrier.

Seriously MB's golden rule of the gun. And no, there are no "Accidents" with firearms, only human error aka idiocy. Nope, treat the gun as if it's loaded is only a part of the golden rule and a rather annoyingly inherent part at that, the golden rule being safe muzzle discipline, which should have been obvious but apparently wasn't something that important. So yea, funny if you like idiots always repeating the same bullshit "mistakes", but madding if you don't find the thought of kids getting their limbs... or worse, blown off. And no, (repetition, repetition) The "but it happened when we shot it, it was fine when we set it up excuse doesn't work for "professionals" any more than it does for other idiots with good credentials...

Yes I know you think this is a rant, But see what I think is... that they just shot a motherfucking cannon ball through someones FUCKING HOUSE !

A Shadows Age

Mar 30, 2011
Neonbob said:
That family now has a fucking great story for family gatherings!
I just hope to hell that this doesn't cause any big problems for Mythbusters...I love that show.

I propose a new rule.
If something of yours gets destroyed by the Mythbusters, as long as it was the result of something awesome, you cannot give them trouble over it.
Any in favor?
Sure, if I get to shoot back... lets make it a party.

Captcha question: if we are the ones translating these words how the hell does it know when we get them wrong. I mean if it can only tell what letters aren't the correct ones wouldn't it just be a process of elimination ? sounds like the translation explanation should have been posted on April first to me.