Naivety and Computer Audio

InsipidMadness

Mar 26, 2010
Looking for some advice by people who dabble or expertise in audio systems for a desktop computer. Something as simple as brand names so I can do some research myself would be beneficial, but if there's specific recommendations along with reasons why, then that would be much appreciated. Budget isn't an issue but I won't be spending more than 400-500$ on audio. I just need something decent-good (maybe great) to last me a while. From what I'm aware of, an audio card might also be required and I'm not sure if I have one, would need advice on that as well. Any response would be appreciated for your time. Thank you >^.^<

Simple List:
-Need Computer Audio + possible Audio Card
-No Bose please. I've read enough into them.
-Willing to talk Headphones vs Speakers
-Less than $400-500 if possible.
-I'm easily persuaded.

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
Where will you be using the audio system. I assume at home if you're looking in to speakers. How old is the PC you'll be using the system with, and can you find out the Motherboard make and model? If you're the only person using the system, then headphones will be infinitely better.

I'd say the Beyerdynamic DT880 would be a good place to begin your research, as they've got a wide soundstage and balanced sound.[footnote]I'm not exactly sure how to define soundstage, so I looked it up on Head-Fi.org and this is what was the best explanation:

let's say you have a band that is recording a song in a studio and a single microphone is in the center of the room:

the drummer is 5 feet from the center of the room in the the back left corner,

the guitarist is 5 feet from the center of the room in the front right corner,

and the vocalist is 1 foot away from the mic standing directly behind it,

in theory, the "soundstage" capabilities of the headphone is to best present these spatial cues to you while listening to the recording. in other words, while listening with your headphones, you should be able to, to some extent, perceive the drummer behind you to the left, the guitarist in front of you to the right, and the vocalist closest to you, sounding nearly directly on top of you.

the soundstage capabilities of a headphone is their ability to reproduce the spatial distance and location from the mic, while ultimately retaining some of the acoustics of the recording environment.
[/footnote]

Oh, and what sort of music do you listen to?

InsipidMadness

Mar 26, 2010
Palfreyfish said:
It's going to be at home, I'm the only one who can hear it so I don't mind the speakers vs headset, means I can hear it when I'm around the place. The PC was upper-middle-class about two years ago. Not sure how to check motherboard make and model...

I listen to just about anything from Alternative to DnB but no country or rap.

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
InsipidMadness said:
Palfreyfish said:
It's going to be at home, I'm the only one who can hear it so I don't mind the speakers vs headset, means I can hear it when I'm around the place. The PC was upper-middle-class about two years ago. Not sure how to check motherboard make and model...

I listen to just about anything from Alternative to DnB but no country or rap.
Much the same as me, though I'll occasionally listen to one or two rappers.

I know nothing about speakers to be honest, so I'm afraid I won't be much help there.

In regards to the motherboard, the onboard sound system should be good enough for you to get the best out of your system if you use headphones. Again, don't know much about speakers so you'll have to do your own research for that, or hope that someone who does know sees this thread. If you get good speakers you'll probably need a decent amp to drive them, just don't get "computah" speakers, as they're generally crap.