Name a game that made you check out earlier games in the series it belonged too.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
After I've beaten Fallout: New Vegas, I decided to download the original Fallout off of GOG.

I've just beaten it and I found it to be an enjoyable game. It was interesting seeing the roots of one of my favorite games.

So anyway, what games have you played that made you go and seek out earlier games in the series they belonged too?

Other games that made me check out other games in their respective series's include:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Final Fantasy VII
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
Shadow of the Colossus (Yes I consider both it and Ico to be in the same series. Very loosely though.)

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Hmmm...I think that the only time I've done that was after I played Dark Cloud 2 I went back and played the original Dark Cloud. OG game was good but vastly inferior to the sequel.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I first played Morrowind because I heard about how awesome Oblivion was supposed to be, but because my computer at the time was complete shit, I got Morrowind instead. Best game purchase I have ever made.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I played Mass Effect 1 because I played Mass Effect 2 and liked it. Plus side Wrex, down side everything else. I also played MGS3 because I played MGS4, I think I liked 3 more.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
I bought Yakuza 4 as Id heard it was good and liked it so much I got the third game too. The third wasn't as good IMO but that's because it treads similar ground to the sequel.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Deus Ex The Conspiracy. I desperately wanted to play Human Revolution but everyone kept talking so much about how great The Conspiracy was and how Human Revolution still didn't measure up.(Though it was a step in the right direction). Well if that was the case I wanted the whole meal instead of the small portion of leftovers.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Final Fantasy.

Naturally, as someone who never owned an SNES growing up and besides the fact that I live in the wrong region for the releases back then, I started with VII. I followed it up, VIII, IX and then to X, threw up in my mouth when I borrowed X-2 and stayed put for a while. A couple of years ago I started to hunt down original copies of games before VII on their original consoles and I've ended up accidentally collecting most of what I can of the first ten numbered games.

Definitely glad that I went back to check them out.

TrollFase

Sep 29, 2012
Suikoden and Final Fantasy.

Suikoden II was one of my first great loves as a gamer, and I had to play the first (as hard as it was to get a copy of it) simply off principle.

Final Fantasy goes without saying. I started out with Final Fantasy VI (or 3) and just rolled with the other ones from there.

Noetherian

Hermits United
May 3, 2012
Final Fantasy VIII. ;)
(Seriously-- I played it first, then tried out FFVII after shocked reactions from several friends. I've since played IX, X, X-2, and a paltry amount of VI and the very first one.)

The pending release of StarCraft 2 got me to finally play through the campaign of the original... WoW and Deus Ex: Human Rev. also definitely interested me in the lore of prior games in their respective franchises, though I've yet to play them.

In general, if I get interested in a series I'll try to play it from the beginning-- which is why I still haven't gotten around to DragonAge. Oops.

SamtheDeathclaw

Aug 8, 2009
I've done that a lot times. Fallout 3, Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword, Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution all come to mind. And Mass Effect, sort of. I played the first one some and hated it because I was a little kid, but then I got two when I was a little older and liked it a whole lot. So I got the first one back and beat it, too.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
No ninja can hurt me.

In the early 1999, a local gaming centered TV channel here kept repeatedly showing trailers of Final Fantasy VIII. I got massively hyped for it, but being 9 years old, I didn't exactly swim in cash. By the time of release it was still long ways from Christmas, so all I could do was wait.

Then I heard that a classmate of mine had an earlier game in the series, Final Fantasy VII. I asked to borrow it. Initially I was pretty disappointed, as it looked nothing like the FFVIII I had been anticipating, but I fell in love by the end of Midgar. It wasn't until the next summer when I saw FFVIII in a store when I begged for my mother to get it for me.

I didn't understand most of FFVII on my first few playthroughs, not being a native English speaker and all, but by FFVIII I was slightly more proficient. That, in addition to some other stuff I had going for me at the time, made FFVIII the game that has affected me personally the most. As a sidenote, I had to learn the hard way that being a cold, dismissive twat will not net you any popularity points in real life. Unless I just did it wrong.

At this point I was getting into this whole "internet" thing, and found Final Fantasies I-III via emulation. I missed the 8-bit era, and my 16-bit was a Genesis, so I never got the chance to play them. I finished them all, and was ready to move on to IV-VI, but alas! I couldn't get the SNES emulator to run on our slab of ass computer. I was pretty flippin' excited when I found out they were being ported to PS1. Got them, played them, loved them.

In 2001, still a kid barely able to afford a bottle of soda once a week, I borrowed FFIX from another classmate. The same classmate later lent me her copy of FFX (along with her PS2!). I got an Xbox for Christmas 2002, but I eventually sold it in favor of my own PS2 to play FFX (as well as FFX-2) again. Chocobo Racing and Ehrgeiz fit somewhere in there too, and they were awesome.

I was in the same class all through elementary school, so it was a pretty big deal for me when it ended. All the friends I had went their separate ways, and I just couldn't bond with these new people I was supposed to associate with. That's what happened between me and Final Fantasy XII too. It was alright, sort of fun at times, but all the effort in the world wasn't enough for me to get into it. The rift just spread from there. So that's me and Final Fantasy! We might not be close anymore, but we sure had some good times.

TLDR: Final Fantasy VIII

teudys

Nov 9, 2010
dark soul love it so much decide to check out demon soul thought technically dark soul is a spiritual successor than a sequel it first game that which I like playing as a magic character

tjbond911

Sep 19, 2010
MGS3, TF2 (I played the Half Life Black Mesa Mod and some other source mods)and Resident Evil 4.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I was so amazed at the gameplay videos of Zone of the Enders: the 2nd Runner that I went out and bought the first game. The fact that the second game was extremely rare by that point also probably factored into me settling for the original, at least at first.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Mass Effect. I loved ME2 so much I decided to buy ME1... I was very disappointed, the combat in 1 was terrible, the graphics were bad, aside from a few brief cinematic moments it just doesn't hold a candle to ME2.

Dead Space. This one wasn't so bad. Though I don't like the silent Issac and the level's aren't as colorful, the bosses are pretty interesting, and the gameplay is as good as DS2. So I was pleased.

Bioshock. The story and the graphics are good, that's about all that I can say about Bioshock 1. Combat and gameplay wise, Bioshock 2 was leagues better.

LOLITRON

Sep 15, 2012
I played Metal Gear: Snake Eater before I decided to play the other games in the franchise, but that actually worked to my benefit timeline-wise.