Name a game that made you check out earlier games in the series it belonged too.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
Busfull said:
I try to never play a sequel before I play the first one. If I were to play a sequel beforehand, it would probably only be so because of the original game being older.
I have a similar rule regarding sequels. But I guess an exception would be Saint's Row: The Third, since the first one was a console exclusive and the second was broken on pc.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Pretty much all of Nintendo. My first console was the N64, so the first Mario, Zelda etc. exposure I got was from that era. Through re-releases and Virtual Console, I've almost caught up on all the originals.

Invictusblade

Sep 13, 2012
my bundled game with the PS3 was Uncharted 2 so i brought the first one

I had started the Metal Gear Universe with Metal Gear Solid 4 then i brought the HD Collection last year and was piss off that the first Metal gear solid wasn't in it.

I have just started playing Wasteland which was the inspiration for Fallout's

but most games i have attempted to play all the game in order with certain exceptions like Call of duty 3 which was console only

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
EcoEclipse said:
Though I didn't get into the backlog of titles until after Skyrim was released, Oblivion is what set me off into the Elder Scrolls series. Especially the lore.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play much of Arena or Daggerfall, (Fuck Morrowind; that combat is just terribad.) 'cause I own a Mac. There wouldn't happen to be some sort of port I've missed, would there?
Check out the openmw.org project. Although far from finished, they're working towards a fully implemented multi-platform open-source port that works better with today's hardware and OSes.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Invictusblade said:
I had started the Metal Gear Universe with Metal Gear Solid 4 then i brought the HD Collection last year and was piss off that the first Metal gear solid wasn't in it.
I think with the original MSG they would have had a much harder time upgrading it to HD, the other 2 are PS 2 games but MSG was way back on the PS1. Rather than just updating the textures they would have had to completely redo them altogether.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
EcoEclipse said:
Though I didn't get into the backlog of titles until after Skyrim was released, Oblivion is what set me off into the Elder Scrolls series. Especially the lore.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play much of Arena or Daggerfall, (Fuck Morrowind; that combat is just terribad.) 'cause I own a Mac. There wouldn't happen to be some sort of port I've missed, would there?
There is an Oblivion total conversion that recreates the entire world from Morrowind, but with Oblivion mechanics and combat. Its worth checking out,especially if you're a fan of the lore, the events at the core of Morrowind were pretty major.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
GTA Vice City, made me go back and check out GTA 3..... I liked vice city better, and then I enjoyed San Andreas the most, even more than GTA4. To me there just wasn't enough of an exploratory aspect to GTA 4 to make it fun....... I mean in SA you could fly from one state to another, and jump out of airplanes........ Oh Yeah, AND JET PACKS.......

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Fallout 3 -> Fallout 1 and 2. Nothing like the third, but that's totally okay.

Persona 4 -> Persona 3, 1. The third is pretty much the same style as the fourth, but the first was far different.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Well, Metal Gear Solid and Morrowind introduced me to their respective series, but I don't think they count since I have very little interest in previous titles.

Only two games that made me check other games in the series are Crash Bandicoot 3 and Final Fantasy IX.

Mar 25, 2010
FF6 persuaded me to check out the older ones, to which I found out are a lot more confusing! I still have no idea how one would get through FF2 without a guide, there are beginner's traps everywhere, especially in the first town full of guards.

Noetherian

Hermits United
May 3, 2012
Jason Rayes said:
Completely off topic, is your Avatar from The Cat From Outer Space?
Yes it is. :D

(I love how many escapists recognize my obscure childhood movie of choice.)

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
likalaruku said:
I don't work backwards; If I'm interested in a new game, I'll try the first game in the franchise first & work my way up.
Exactly this.
When I get interested in a new series I always begin with the first game.(Unless I'm not able to play it, console exclusive etc)

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Noetherian said:
Jason Rayes said:
Completely off topic, is your Avatar from The Cat From Outer Space?
Yes it is. :D

(I love how many escapists recognize my obscure childhood movie of choice.)
I'd actually almost completely forgotten it until I saw your pick. lol :)

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
As I know a lot of people have said, Fallout 3. They are all such great games and I'm glad FO3 made me go back and play them. World of Warcraft also made me play WC3 which was awesome.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
Chester Rabbit said:
Deus Ex The Conspiracy. I desperately wanted to play Human Revolution but everyone kept talking so much about how great The Conspiracy was and how Human Revolution still didn't measure up.(Though it was a step in the right direction)...
Oddly, I haven't heard of Conspiracy.

I can't quite think of deliberate predecessor-hunting that I've done. What I will do instead is turn the OP's question on its side and address it that way.

I did play the original Deus Ex within the last two years. However, recently, when I finally sat down with Human Revolution, something bothered me about it. Oh, certainly there were a great many map and cosmetic similarities to DE (names, fate-of-mankind issues, fire escapes, tiny exterior maps, hand movements while running), and these hallmarks were well chosen. Yet it was the fundamental gameplay that bothered me. Why does Adam shift around uncomfortably when speaking? User selected dialogue responses... well, OK? And then when I climbed on a ladder for the first time, I realised what the problem was. I was playing Alpha Protocol: Human Revolution. And if anyone, anywhere, had told me that it was Alpha Protocol in JC Denton's clothing, I would have saved my money - for a slightly better Steam sale. Not that Alpha Protocol is a bad game; it's just that it does so many annoying things (like unnecessary, but obnoxiously difficult boss fights), and that those annoyances really wreck the replay value. [Sorry. I'm still annoyed, and the irritation has leaked out onto this page.]

Having played Bioshock, I'm keen to play its predecessor; System Shock. That game has always been a faint blip on my Radar.

Having first played Fallout 3, I went on to play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Morrowind is on the to-do list and already in my Steam library. (What? It is too a prequel/sequel!)

After purchasing the big iD bundle, I played through Wolfenstein 3-D again. Then I started to play Hexxen - and I just couldn't bring myself to complete even the first level.

Wait, now I remember. I played the demo for Amnesia:tDD. When I bought the full game, I made sure to play the Penumbra games first. It wasn't necessary, but very interesting.

And I bought/played Tropico 3 after playing Tropico 4 on a Steam weekend. Tropico 3 was a better deal, as T4 has interminable DLC and is a dressed-up T3 that is essentially the same game. However, I do appreciate some small improvements that were made in T4.

Additionally, I try to mention this when appropriate. There is a prequel to DOOM3 and Half-Life 2 called 'They Hunger'. OK, its not exactly a prequel, and it feels rough around the edges, but it introduces some game mechanics and scenarios that simply were not in Half-Life, or DOOM, or DOOM II, but are evident in the last iterations.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
The only game i can think of is CoD3 after playing the fourth CoD:MW. With a franchise like CoD it doesn`t matter much anyway.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and Half-Life 2 are the only ones I can think of that did that.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I did play Age of Empires just to see what it's like, after falling in love with Age of Empires II. That was about 12 years ago.

That's about the only case.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Ace Combat X, weirdly, is what got me into the entire Ace Combat series. Now The Unsung War is one of my favorite games of all time.