Name Game: The Wait is Over

AnneSQF

Sep 22, 2009
That's how I feel too. Just saw the first one yesterday and I'm gonna see Legacy tomorrow. WOOHOO!

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
megs1120 said:
It's not that good. More of a tech demo than an actual movie.
Yep, which is why it was awesome.

It's like looking back at the Matrix now. That movie has a few interesting bits but doesn't stand up to scrutiny anymore these days. But the concept and the execution blew everyone away at the time. Same goes for Tron. There's been heaps of CGI 'go into the computer' movies since and this is where it all started.

The movie made something exciting that most people dismissed out of hand, even if they only heard of it through word of mouth. It's geek-chic, possibly the first example of it ever. The concept of the movie was something a math major probably scribbled out in the margins of his notebook and by all accounts it should never have been made, but the very fact it did is a triumph of geekiness in itself, no matter how the movie turned out.

Personally I think that should be Tron's legacy and they shouldn't've made another movie. Perhaps Tron's legacy is merely a vision, a dream, an idea of something that actually never really was. But for those of us with a like mind it is a grand dream indeed.

Tron also spawned all those horrible hacking movies that have visual representations of moving through some kind of cyber world (Hackers, Swordfish, Lawnmower Man, etc.), so yeah, there's that too.

TLDR:
The quality of the movie doesn't really matter, it's what it represents that has people in their grasp.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Unfortunately you'll be only amazed for the first half. I've seen the press showing and sadly, "Tron"'s plot and execution fall apart completely in the last 45 minutes.

How music and visuals work together is pretty impressive, though.

LeeshaJoy

Jun 22, 2009
The thing that really made me squee is that Alix is wearing one of the Tron hoodies from Threadless. [http://www.threadless.com/product/2281/My_Other_Ride_Is_a_Light_Cycle/tab,guys/style,shirt]

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
You know, I still can't place it, but there's something about Alix that I just can't help but like. Maybe it's the semi-rabid nature, or the awesome choice of attire, or...hm. For now, I'll stick with the fact that OMG TRON WHOOOOOOOOO!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm going to see this tonight, in 3D too! And it looks like one of the few movies that really will be enhanced massively by 3D, just from the visual style of the Tron world (well, computer systems...). I mean, I've seen some good stuff in 3D and enjoyed the 3D aspect, but aside from Avatar I haven't seen anything in 3D yet where the 3D has proven to be a massively amazing part of the visual experience. Tron looks like it'll change that...

Sad to say though, I've not seen the original yet. I'll probably watch that tomorrow or something, after seeing Legacy tonight, and get my full Tron fix in a single weekend :D. Just two hours to go before I'm sat in the cinema watching Tron in glorious three dimensions... :D

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Souplex said:
What is it with people over a certain age and thinking the original TRON was a good movie?
I've watched it nostalgia free, and confirmed with other people who have watched it nostalgia free:
It is not.
I've watched it this week, I'm 21, and I thought the movie was good.

captainfoss

Apr 21, 2010
I saw the movie and honestly, yea, its not "great" but its still pretty damn good! Ya, its more fancy colors and effects (even more so with the 3D viewing) then it is with actual script and execution but overal, it does give you a little comfy vibe (that is, if you've seen the 1982 Tron). The 3D option was worth it rather, it was very well orchestrated. The only downfall to that was they only had 3D when our characters were in the grid, and none while in the actual world. When he's on the bike, a 3D viewing would of been nice, or even when he jumps ....spoilers are starting to come out. -end line-

Being a fan of the first one, I loved it and recommend it to others.

Some points that keep getting brought up was how some people watched the first Tron and say its a bad movie. Well yea, Tron isn't for everyone by anymeans. Back in the 1982 area, the movie really didn't even spark interest in the popular media. The only real talk of it was how it was one of the first movies completely shot on a green screen. The people who really got into the movie back then were the nerds and geeks. Whether or not thats changed today is your own opinion.

Just to leave off on a quote, "It's the grandfather of the geek cult movies" - Widgett Walls

captainfoss

Apr 21, 2010
I'd also like to just throw out there that the game they created with the film, Tron:Evolution, is actually a really good game. Probably the best movie oriented game I've played this year. Most games that come out in sync with a movie are just promo pushers and usually not so great in quality. This game defeated that logic. With some parkour added actions, your path through the game is well traveled. Most of your fighting is done with your data disk but as you go, you can upgrade it to increase usages. Even the fighting it unique and full of combos ready for configuration. Your main character is a systems manager / admin program I believe, and your tasked by your superiors (main bad guys in Tron:legacy) to berid a virus that has hit the grid. I can't tell you too much more without giving away certain things. So rather, you may actually want to do some research on this game and consider it. It works as a prequel to the movie so your not hurting anything if you do. Good luck!

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
I can't wait to see what their reactions will be later when they realize the movie was bad, even by geek standards!

jamhammer

May 13, 2009
i liked it, and im 15,
btw its called tron because tron is an old computer term. I cant recall what it means but thats why there is wikipedia