Name one horrible thing that was done to people that isn't done to animals every year.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
Nuuu said:
Awareness of the threat of nuclear annihilation.

Politics.

The Last Airbender Movie.

Plenty of things really.
Animals can certainly be aware something bad is going to happen to them.

twistedmic said:
Animals don't have to work retail.
Gorillas already know sign language and retail is a job even a "trained monkey" can do. If it hasn't happened already, it is going to happen very soon.

bartholen said:
Rape as a form of oppression.
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/shocking-story-sex-slave-orangutan-and-her-rescue/

KissingSunlight said:
Circumcision

If you want to see how bad it is...here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyzlZn4FJPU

I will raise you one better. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emasculator]

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
*sniff sniff* Huh, it smell like straw for anyone else in here? No? Just me?

Small personally-funny asides aside, there's Homicide? That's a horrible thing that's done to people that we don't do to animals. Can't exactly commit homicide against a dog, can I?

Oooh, another good one is Manslaughter. Can't Manslaughter an animal, that's for sure. Yes, yes, there's a bit of cross-over with Homicide, but the intent of the action is the key difference.

Oh! And War! War, while something we have committed against an animal species before (The Great Emu War of 1932, The Emus won) they don't tend to be on the same scale or match the sheer brutality and dehumanization of the whole thing. Plus given the political nature of war it's incredibly difficult to really declare against an animal species to begin with, what with them not having unified systems of government and all that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The social pressure of having to make something of your life.

Also, dentists.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Age restrictions in media. Though it's subjective whether that's horrible or not. Hmm, at least animals are just honestly enslaved/controlled/manipulated/eaten and so on.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Is that supposed to be a justification? "We have done awful things, treat other people like animals (but only like animals we don't like), and at least we don't kill them for food". Am I supposed to take that philosophy seriously?

We have raped their wives and daughters, killed their children and burned their houses, and make them watch and laugh at their suffering. Sure, you can argue that we do some of those things to animals too, but at least with animals we don't understand their cries while we dismiss them.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
The holocaust has a contribution or two. Have animals every been sent to a gas chamber?

Actually, going back further, there's a bunch of horrible tortures, that... may not have happened to animals. You never know with the variety of people we've had out there. Stuff like the electric chair, the rack, the iron maiden, chinese water torture, waterboarding...

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
I certainly smelled something when I read the opening post, but not a strawman situation. He'd have to put words in our mouths for that to happen.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Systematically raising them to believe everything in life has a right answer and only one right answer; and if they don't know the answer, they are failures in life.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
hermes said:
Is that supposed to be a justification? "We have done awful things, treat other people like animals (but only like animals we don't like), and at least we don't kill them for food". Am I supposed to take that philosophy seriously?

We have raped their wives and daughters, killed their children and burned their houses, and make them watch and laugh at their suffering. Sure, you can argue that we do some of those things to animals too, but at least with animals we don't understand their cries while we dismiss them.
My point wasn't to justify human suffering, you illustrated my intention yourself. Why must the phrase "treating other people like animals" have a negative connotation. What are we doing or saying to them that makes it so despicable that we put it up there with rape and genocide.

Baffle2 said:
Getting touched up by Rolf Harris.
I will concede that point.

sageoftruth said:
The holocaust has a contribution or two. Have animals every been sent to a gas chamber?

Actually, going back further, there's a bunch of horrible tortures, that... may not have happened to animals. You never know with the variety of people we've had out there. Stuff like the electric chair, the rack, the iron maiden, chinese water torture, waterboarding...
I'm not sure about every torture(although animal cruelty is pretty diverse and terrible)

Gas chambers definitely. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_chamber#Livestock]

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Professor James said:
hermes said:

My point wasn't to justify human suffering, you illustrated my intention yourself. Why must the phrase "treating other people like animals" have a negative connotation. What are we doing or saying to them that makes it so despicable that we put it up there with rape and genocide.
Because much of human suffering that we inflict intentionally is rationalized as "they are not the same as us", "they are different/inferior/less cultured/corrupt", them vs us is the basic appeal of every conflict or hate crime. It is called dehumanization, and it is a mechanism used to numb us to our neighbor's suffering.

At least with animals we do have the excuse that they are not human.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Baffle2 said:
Getting touched up by Rolf Harris.
We don't know for sure, if they could only talk to us...

OT: Jeremy Kyle. Fuck that twat. When, out of a room of squealing assholes, he continues to act the infinitly more punchable one, you know he gone done fucked up. I like to pretend he doesn't exist until somebody else gives me no other choice.

Capitalism. Or at least pro-business politics.

Male/female perfume adverts. Ughhhhhh!

Canned laughter. Hyperbole? Never heard of it. Dr says I'm perfectly healthy, thankyou!

But then there is the good stuff. Hey! ...why you trying to make me forget about that? It's difficult enough pretending!

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
hermes said:
Professor James said:
hermes said:

Because much of human suffering that we inflict intentionally is rationalized as "they are not the same as us", "they are different/inferior/less cultured/corrupt", them vs us is the basic appeal of every conflict or hate crime. It is called dehumanization, and it is a mechanism used to numb us to our neighbor's suffering.

At least with animals we do have the excuse that they are not human.
I understand that, I am questioning why does dehumanization have to be a bad thing that leads to persecution. They have feelings and emotions like anyone else. They don't have sapience, but no one treats a mentally disabled person like they treat an animal.

CaitSeith said:
Systematically raising them to believe everything in life has a right answer and only one right answer; and if they don't know the answer, they are failures in life.
beating a dog or horse every time it does something you don't want it to do, even if you haven't previously trained them to know any better, is pretty close.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Professor James said:
CaitSeith said:
beating a dog or horse every time it does something you don't want it to do, even if you haven't previously trained them to know any better, is pretty close.
But it won't get beaten by the other dogs or horses on their own if it does something you don't want it to do.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Professor James said:
They don't have sapience, but no one treats a mentally disabled person like they treat an animal.
Uh, depends on what you mean there but I do have to point out that some animals (e.g., pets) are well more cared for than people with mental disabilities. And that's nowadays - go a century back and the attitude towards mental issues drops significantly.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
sageoftruth said:
Wrex Brogan said:
I certainly smelled something when I read the opening post, but not a strawman situation. He'd have to put words in our mouths for that to happen.
There's more than one way to make a strawman - the 'uphill discussion with someone who is clearly sitting on a massive pile of links and just waiting to drop them with a hint of smug superiority' is an element of a more complicated strawman, but a strawman none-the-less.

And given he's already dropped an animal link in response to the fucking holocaust, well... I just hope everyone else here is having fun with this thread, because there sure as fuck isn't going to be any meaningful discussion going on.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Wrex Brogan said:
And given he's already dropped an animal link in response to the fucking holocaust, well... I just hope everyone else here is having fun with this thread, because there sure as fuck isn't going to be any meaningful discussion going on.
The guy asked about gas chambers, one of the holocaust's contributions as it was put, and animals have been killed in those too. So yeah, like what would've been an "acceptable" answer to that anyway? Something else than the truth?

Anyway, we are having fun with this thread. I'm always up for some trivia about animal [mis]treatment.

Oct 12, 2011
*Drawing upon my Catholic childhood*

Since animals do not have souls, they will never have to stand before God after death and answer for the crime of starting nonsensical forum threads.