Name one horrible thing that was done to people that isn't done to animals every year.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
KissingSunlight said:
Circumcision

If you want to see how bad it is...here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyzlZn4FJPU
First off, I'm circumcized and I'm fine. I don't know if I would be better off with my foreskin, but my junk seems okay to me.

Second off, we castrate animals alllllll time time. That's a fair bit worse than circumcision. :p

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
09philj said:
Name one thing done to animals not done to people.
Cloning [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_(sheep)]

davidmc1158 said:
*Drawing upon my Catholic childhood*

Since animals do not have souls, they will never have to stand before God after death and answer for the crime of starting nonsensical forum threads.
I'm not sure about souls, but pigs can definitely be possessed according to the gospel of Matthew. that counts for something right?

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Baffle2 said:
Getting touched up by Rolf Harris.
Rolf had a TV series called 'Animal Hospital' so I think Rolf did not discriminate when it came to our furry friends...

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
09philj said:
Name one thing done to animals not done to people.
I can go into most restaurants and order pig, but long pig is not on the menu, and certainly not live long pig.

I'm being silly, and yes, people have eaten people before, sure. But not on such a grand scale, and it is certainly not an acceptable dining option in the modern world, anywhere (I think?).

On the other hand, I get what you're saying. Humans are pretty horrible to everything and everyone.

I just wanted to type, I guess.

Oct 12, 2011
Professor James said:
davidmc1158 said:
*Drawing upon my Catholic childhood*

Since animals do not have souls, they will never have to stand before God after death and answer for the crime of starting nonsensical forum threads.
I'm not sure about souls, but pigs can definitely be possessed according to the gospel of Matthew. that counts for something right?
Perhaps, but pigs have never had bad possession movies made of their experience! *cough cough* Incarnate *cough cough*

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
TechNoFear said:
Rolf had a TV series called 'Animal Hospital' so I think Rolf did not discriminate when it came to our furry friends...
True, and I bet he only touched the underage ones. I can imagine Rolf slowly pulling down his pants in front of a terrified chinchilla. 'Can you tell what it is yet?'

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
I really don't like how not even the first reply into the thread, it was turned into an internet meme.
No guys, trying to joke about it to divert the attention is not going to cancel the problem.

Instead of covering the problem with a joke, why don't you have the guts to think about it? Yes, we do much worse things to animals than to other human beings. And most animals can feel pain and terror just like us.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Nature Guardian said:
Instead of covering the problem with a joke, why don't you have the guts to think about it? Yes, we do much worse things to animals than to other human beings. And most animals can feel pain and terror just like us.
Because frankly: What problem? Most people are fine and dandy about treating animals worse than humans. Most people don't really give a crap about large, LARGE swathes of humans either.
Nature Guardian said:
Cold Shiny said:
We don't murder their babies and then refer to it as "reproductive health".
We actually do. All the time.
Ayy, you fell for it.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
McElroy said:
Nature Guardian said:
Because frankly: What problem? Most people are fine and dandy about treating animals worse than humans. Most people don't really give a crap about large, LARGE swathes of humans either.

Unless the entire world is full of sociopaths, I hardly believe most people are fine about treating animals worse than humans.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals are stupid, hence we are far more powerful. Which means that even a vicious tiger is, essentially, on the level of a human baby.
Which is why hurting animals is an even worse thought than hurting humans: it's a bit like hurting a baby.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Nature Guardian said:
McElroy said:
Nature Guardian said:
Unless the entire world is full of sociopaths, I hardly believe most people are fine about treating animals worse than humans.
That makes a lot of sociopaths then. Lots and lots of us. And we don't even eat people, wear people, ride people, OWN people...
Nature Guardian said:
Which is why hurting animals is an even worse thought than hurting humans: it's a bit like hurting a baby.
It's hard to start applying Kantian ethics to beings with no capacity to understand them. Tastes too much like altruism.

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
McElroy said:
Nature Guardian said:
[Because frankly: What problem? Most people are fine and dandy about treating animals worse than humans. Most people don't really give a crap about large, LARGE swathes of humans either.
That's just it though. People nowadays are fine treating animals like crap. 25 years ago, it was fine for straight people to treat homosexuals like crap. 45 years ago, it was fine for men to treat women like crap. 60 years ago, it was fine for white people to treat black people like crap. 100 years ago, disowning a person from a certain country was A-OK. 200 years ago, it was fine to see people of a different religion as savages. 250 years ago, treating the poor like subhumans was the norm.

The point is from an ethical standpoint, humans have never stopped treating people they don't consider "fully human" horribly. The only social changes from the past is that certain groups of people are no longer considered inferior.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Professor James said:
McElroy said:
Nature Guardian said:
[Because frankly: What problem? Most people are fine and dandy about treating animals worse than humans. Most people don't really give a crap about large, LARGE swathes of humans either.
That's just it though. People nowadays are fine treating animals like crap. 25 years ago, it was fine for straight people to treat homosexuals like crap. 45 years ago, it was fine for men to treat women like crap. 60 years ago, it was fine for white people to treat black people like crap. 100 years ago, disowning a person from a certain country was A-OK. 200 years ago, it was fine to see people of a different religion as savages. 250 years ago, treating the poor like subhumans was the norm.

The point is from an ethical standpoint, humans have never stopped treating people they don't consider "fully human" horribly. The only social changes from the past is that certain groups of people are no longer considered inferior.
Funny enough, in a survey done here in Finland sometime last year (can't remember exactly) revealed that most people dislike the poor - even the poor themselves.

Treating someone or something like crap. Everyone being fine with calling gays fucking faggots doesn't really compare to being fine with executing mice because the noise annoys me. Meanwhile domestic violence was just legalized in Russia and Putin's contemporary politics have given rise to good old russophobia here, and we were mostly fine with Russians already - and they were REALLY disliked in the 90s, openly too.

I like this topic, have to admit. It's useful to check up on one's rationalizations on why they're apathetic to all the shit around them and emotional about a select few things.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Nature Guardian said:
I really don't like how not even the first reply into the thread, it was turned into an internet meme.
No guys, trying to joke about it to divert the attention is not going to cancel the problem.

...Because this isn't a thread that's actually trying to talk about the problems of animals? It's a gotcha thread for some moral preening, not a genuine discussion about the cavalcade of horrors humans routinely subject animals to. Hence the memeing - might as well try to have some fun with a substance-less thread.

(also because the 'Name one horrible thing that was done to x' just sounds like a meme thread. Like those 'would you save an x or a y from a whirlpool' threads that were apparently a thing around here back in the day.)