Names for subgenres of games that don't exist yet.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Right this is an odd one, hear me out.
I first got the idea from Yahtzee's review of 'Mad World' where he mentioned the idea of callling Devil May Cry and God Hand and other such games as a subgenre called 'spectacle fighters' and the idea for this thread has slowly been forming. The basic idea is to group together a few games that share common characteristics and then giving them as a subgenre a name. So I'll give my example:
Half Life 2, Bioshock, Doom 3, System Shock, Stalker Clear Sky and Fallout 3 are in a category that I call 'Explorative shooters' meaning simply games where instead of an enclosed arena with contained encounters you are either
A. Given a much more detailed and varied world to explore and the game encourages you to do so
B. You have to use the environment to solve puzzles and other problems.
So that's one subgenre of games that I would like people to acknowledge them as.

What about you, got any games that can form their own seperate sub genre?

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
RPS

Role playing shooters, stuff like Bioshock, max payne, half life to some extent. where the core mechanics are still a shooter but that just half the focus of the game.

Banhaze

Oct 8, 2008
But what you've got there are two different genres. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Bioshock and System Shock are all (very) linear (Atmospheric) shooters. STALKER and Fallout 3 are much more 'explorative,' and are the only ones in that list that can be desribed as such. Half Life has a bit of a 'I-have-a-physics-engine-hear-me-roar' mentailty, and that does not exactly qualify as creating a 'detailed and varied' world...

As for detailed and varied worlds, this can be achieved with something as simple as a decent backstory (like Half Life 2)... something many game developers have been neglecting sadly.

As for actually answering the thread:

Mutiplayer-Orientated shooters have a genre I like to call 'Arcade Shooter.'

The most obvious example is UT, with it's 'Kill-Shit-Till-You-Die-Then-Respawn.'
Equally noticable is Team Fortress.
Less noticable is the COD mutiplayer section, but this more depends on how you play the game itself. (Are you a run'n'gun type who is quite likely to die when comared to the claymore'd sniper type?)

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Banhaze said:
But what you've got there are two different genres. Doom 3, Half Life 2, Bioshock and System Shock are all (very) linear (Atmospheric) shooters. STALKER and Fallout 3 are much more 'explorative,' and are the only ones in that list that can be desribed as such. Half Life has a bit of a 'I-have-a-physics-engine-hear-me-roar' mentailty, and that does not exactly qualify as creating a 'detailed and varied' world...

As for detailed and varied worlds, this can be achieved with something as simple as a decent backstory (like Half Life 2)... something many game developers have been neglecting sadly.

As for actually answering the thread:

Mutiplayer-Orientated shooters have a genre I like to call 'Arcade Shooter.'

The most obvious example is UT, with it's 'Kill-Shit-Till-You-Die-Then-Respawn.'
Equally noticable is Team Fortress.
Less noticable is the COD mutiplayer section, but this more depends on how you play the game itself. (Are you a run'n'gun type who is quite likely to die when comared to the claymore'd sniper type?)
No no what I meant is in games like Bioshock sure it's enclosed but it's a big space and layered. More to the point though Half Life 2 and Bioshock are not just straight shooters, Half Life demands you work out puzzles and Bioshock sort of demands some exploration. The poit with either game however is that you cannot simply win the game by just shooting lots of enemies you need to explore or work out puzzles to advance. Hence exploration shooter.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Half Life 2 is pretty much nothing but linear pathways followed by closed off arenas. So I'll call games like Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4 "Haunted House shooters". You move forward fairly slowly and have time to look around but occasionally the ride will stop and things will pop out to scare you.

One of the zombie successors to the dead adventure game genres is the graphical "Pointless Click" adventure game. This is a sort of adventure game where the puzzles have developed to the point of clicking on things for no reason other than hoping that doing so gives you your next hit of voice acting and animation.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Fish & Game Techno Thriller

This genre will win the hearts and souls of the world.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Aur0ra145 said:
Fish & Game Techno Thriller

This genre will win the hearts and souls of the world.
That sounds like the coolest game ever.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
Untactical Shooters

Basically anything along the lines of the Quake or Unreal Tournament series where the game does away with things like recoil, realistic movement, regenerating health or even having to reload (anything beginning with "re" it seems :D ) and instead just has mindless, fast-paced, crazy, adrenaline pumping fun.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Heroes of Might and Magic has its own genre. turn-based strategy RPG. RPG in the sense of that your hero can get items, level up, get spells, etc.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
AlphaOmega said:
RPS

Role playing shooters, stuff like Bioshock, max payne, half life to some extent. where the core mechanics are still a shooter but that just half the focus of the game.
Hahaha... No. None of these games, maybe except for Bioshock (which has SOME elements) is a Role Playing Game. Not even slightly. Just FPS/TPS games.

the-darkness

Mar 10, 2009
I guess 'spectacle shooter'. Y'know like Stranglehold or the upcoming Wet; the enemies are completley braindead just so you could shoot them in the craziest ways to get maximum points. Or 'score shooters' like The Club where you have to kill everyone and everything to get the target score.

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
Abedeus said:
AlphaOmega said:
RPS

Hahaha... No. None of these games, maybe except for Bioshock (which has SOME elements) is a Role Playing Game. Not even slightly. Just FPS/TPS games.
I was afraid people wouldnt get it, ofc they arent RPG. I geuss I should have used the term storytelling Shooters.

Ricky 49

Jan 10, 2009
Total War- where there is both a turn based map movment and RTS battles

Rise of Civilisations, Imperial glory, TLOTR Battle for Middle Earth II

and of course the Total War series
the series that came up with the idea and beats all the other attempts within an inch of their useless life

sorry i own all of these other games for this exact reason and i think they are a waste of money compared to the total war series

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
AlphaOmega said:
RPS

Lol, I thought that was my original genre.
Oblivion and Fallout 3 also fall under this.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
AlphaOmega said:
Abedeus said:
AlphaOmega said:
RPS

I was afraid people wouldnt get it, ofc they arent RPG. I geuss I should have used the term storytelling Shooters.
Storytelling shooter... Yeah, next up - storytelling RPGs, storytelling RTS games, storytelling MMOs... storytelling books.

Anything with a plot can be storytelling.

IndieRocker

Mar 25, 2008
Destruct em up

for games like red faction 2 and Mercenaries 2 where you basically just blow stuff up

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
AlphaOmega said:
Abedeus said:
AlphaOmega said:
RPS

Does this mean that game plots have hit such a low that it needs to be specified if and when a game actually has one?