Nanobots Are One Step Closer

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
now all we need is a practical application for robots too small to house a brain with current computer technology...

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
lol just getting nanobots to work? Nanobots have been around for about a decade, don't worry though, I control them....oh wait, worry!

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
OMFG NO! Stop the madness we can not validate Hideo Kojima. Other then that yes please I want nanobots.

Social Pariah

Nov 23, 2007
People will probably be given nano machines at birth if not getting them from their mothers eventually and all illness shall cease and be fine with these little things performing upkeep on the human body, the possibilities are endless.

An infinite possibility for both good and evil though, weaponisation shortly after anything positive but probably vice versa.

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
guardian001 said:
now all we need is a practical application for robots too small to house a brain with current computer technology...
All they really need is enough room to house a signal reciever of some kind.

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
I praise the technology on the medical terms and aid for people. Cure cancer, aid in the imunne system, finding DVT befre it triggers and repairing danaged cells. But it really actually scares me how it could be used militarily. Especially if they use it as a direct weapon attack.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
MindBullets said:
One step closer to gas-mask wearing zombies crying for their mummies.
Don't worry, all we need to do is say "Go to your room!" and they'll back off.

Gollon

Jan 16, 2008
iain62a said:
Right then, all we need is teleportion, faster than light travel & the gravity gun.
If I recall correctly teleportation is entirely possible but the amount of energy it would require is absolutely tremendous.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Gollon said:
iain62a said:
Right then, all we need is teleportion, faster than light travel & the gravity gun.
If I recall correctly teleportation is entirely possible but the amount of energy it would require is absolutely tremendous.
I think it's not so much that it's the energy requirements, but to teleport anything of significant size you'd need to be able to store ridiculous amounts of data about it, like a hard drive the size of a planet. That's probably hyperbole, but you get the drift.

Jenny Creed

May 7, 2008
Matter conversion teleportation is silly. Warping space is where it's at. Last I heard, that could be done using half the energy in the known universe. That's why they have those badass crystals in Star Trek, apparently.

About the topic, I hear there are now scalpels with edges only two atoms wide. Us being able to move atoms about with precision is only a small (heh) step away from moving the components of atoms, thereby generating periodic elements at will. It's mostly a matter of speeding up the process a few billion times. . . which probably won't happen until we have robots clever enough to design and build smaller robots and automatically replicate themselves in enormous, yet controllable numbers.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
zacaron said:
it will be wierd when you can just inject yourself with for lack of a better word a "health pack" containing nanomites that will repair damage in your body.
So you're saying that we're not too far from being able to do deathmatches in real life? Technological advancement is awesome!

All we need now is a government that controls all the nanobots, a way to open intergalactic portals, and phaser guns. Then we'll be all set!

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
galletea said:
This is looking very interesting. Bionic limbs, and now nanomachines. The futuristic age set in sci fi and videogames is coming closer all the time.
Makes me wonder-When this is no longer science fiction, what will be?

Wolf Blade

Apr 8, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ElephantGuts said:
That'd be bad, if they started killing every cell in your body from the inside out. And that's the plot for an apocolyptic movie right there.
Michael Crichton's Prey, if I remember rightly.
Good book. Bit of a weird ending though...
fullmetalangel said:
I always knew this was going to happen. Human ingenuity is boundless.

However, I'm wondering how these machines won't trigger an immune response.

And is it just me or does that look like a metroid in the picture?
I'm not too sure I want Metroids in my blood.
On Topic, if they were to be used as weapons, how would they discriminate between friend and foe? What would be their limits? How would we stop swarms of Nanobots wiping the planet clean? There's going to have to be a lot of thought on how they're going to do these things.

Feb 13, 2008
There's several things to consider here.

First is that movement has only just been possible, and swimming is not the best way to travel, as anyone who has seen Fantastic Voyage can understand.
Secondly, the bots haven't been trialled in liquid, so there's overcoming flow, huge platelets, the body's immune system, watertightness...
Thirdly, is the power supply. At the moment these bots are powered through an Electric field, which has major problems when introduced to the Human nervous system.
Fourthly, they're not only blind but stupid. They do what they're told, no matter if they can or should.
Fifthly, there's enormous pressure inside the body, and with platelets, haemoglobin slams, the heart's pump; one wrong move will leave a dying nanobot inside your blood stream. The white cells can probably deal with it, but a "crazed" bot could do a lot of damage.

It's a step forward alright, but there's still a long way to go, and a need to get much smaller.
Saying that though, at