NASA: "Apollo 18 Is Not a Documentary"

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
What i want to know is at what point did a nasa realise that they should make a statement to thick people, that this isn't real?

Rockchimp69

Dec 4, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It's a shame Apollo 18 isn't real.

Because then NASA would have a reason to have given up on space travel.

Jerks.
I think the reason they're giving up that for now is massive budget cuts and debt.

But yeah it still sucks :/
There's a XKCD comic about this somewhere, it basically says that space is probably filled with the relics of species that gave up on their space programmes early on because of how much money and how many resources it costs.

Feb 13, 2008
Rockchimp69 said:
I think the reason they're giving up that for now is massive budget cuts and debt.
Pfft...take the troops out of everywhere else in the world then.

Sorry, I find it truly bile-inducing that our dreams have to be given up because some jerks can't do their job properly. And they still have theirs.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Greg Tito said:
I'm glad that NASA finds it necessary to inform people that movies are not based in reality, proving that it's important for government agencies to state the obvious. While we're at it, zombies aren't real, cigarettes will kill you and taxes suck. Can I get a government job now?
Oh, you might be surprised how many people get their education from movies and other sources that should be equally dubious.

California falling into the ocean, the mayan calendar thing, hiding from tornadoes beneath highway overpasses, and deadly black holes being made at the LHC are just a few examples. There's a whole trope for this called Television is Trying to Kill Us.

And, of course, there's the conspiracy theorists, who will probably believe the movie over NASA anyway.

NASA might not have been emphatic enough about how not real this stuff is.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Evilsanta said:
How can anyone think that moon zombies can be real?

Nobody is that stupid...I think.
You would be amazed at the things people will believe. The Apollo 18 movie actually has a possible (if mind-bogglingly unlikely) premise, so people believing it's true doesn't even really warrant notice.

I mean people can, will, and do believe in things like:

-A magical, omniscient and omnipotent sky-fairy

-Aliens came to Earth and bestowed technology upon us unworthy beings, enabling us to do everything from building the pyramids to the secret of transistors

-Walking under a ladder, breaking a mirror or seeing a black cat brings bad luck

-Humans only use 10% of their brains

You get the idea. Evidence, logic and common sense have no bearing on what people believe. I'll throw the Wizard's First Rule at you for this:

Wizard said:
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Don't you guys realize that it MUST be true if Nasa responds?! I mean sure it sounds silly but then NASA responds, yeah nice try guys! We're aware where lobster and shrimp comes from, a small enslaved race off the coast of MOON CRATER ALLEY.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It's a shame Apollo 18 isn't real.

Because then NASA would have a reason to have given up on space travel.

Jerks.
Wait, I don't get it. Is repeatedly slashed funding not a reason?

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
On the other hand, this is exactly what went on during the lunar landing missions.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
God, why does everything these days need to have zombies shoehorned into it.

Though this would probably be the last zombie movie, as if you put anything in space then everything else after it would feel like a step backwards.

Cookie for reference.

...I wonder if Brian Cox is in the film trying to make a solar system diagram out of zombie guts.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Oh...I have no reason to go see this movie anymore. I wanted to learn more about history.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Kapol said:
The worst part is people still won't believe them. And while it does seem like they're pointing out the obvious, really they did have to. People would have thought it was real otherwise. Because a lot of people are that gullible.
Theres no way this film is real! the moon landing was fake man! FAKE!

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Davih said:
While we're at it I suppose it would be informative to tell you the moon is NOT made out of cheese either...
LIES AND SLANDER! I know the lunar mozzarella deliciousness is REAL!!!1!

Anyhoo, i'm probably not going to watch Apollo 18. If I really want space zombies I'll go replay a couple parts of ME2.
Besides, nobody who was all set to believe the movie is going to be stopped by NASA sayin' it ain't so.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Poor NASA. On a related note, remember the ENTIRE WEBPAGE [http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html] they had to dedicate to debunking the 2012 stuff right after the movie came out?
You'd think they're being silly about paying attention to this stuff, but I bet they get a bunch of phone calls from slack-jawed retards looking for "answers".

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
TimeLord said:
So basically they are saying;

"Don't even start guys!" To the conspiracy theories and people wearing tin foil hats.
Nah, basically they're saying:

"Ok, I can't fucking believe we have to tell you this. IT'S NOT REAL, YOU MORONS!"

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
NASA claims it isn't real, but I think they're just covering up the eventual arrival of moon zombies on December 2012.
Diligent said:
Poor NASA. On a related note, remember the ENTIRE WEBPAGE [http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html] they had to dedicate to debunking the 2012 stuff right after the movie came out?
You'd think they're being silly about paying attention to this stuff, but I bet they get a bunch of phone calls from slack-jawed retards looking for "answers".
See! SEE!