NASA Can't Find Its Moon Rocks

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
NASA Can't Find Its Moon Rocks

An internal review said the space agency doesn't keep track of the (now) irreplaceable artifacts.

The American space program was riding high when the astronauts from the Apollo missions returned from our planet's only natural satellite with samples of moon rock. NASA lent out these samples to observatories and research facilities for experimentation and observation - I even remember my high school science teacher showing me a moon rock in class - but after a story came out in 2010 from a Delaware institution's large sample being lost, NASA performed an investigation on where all its moon rocks had gone. The report from NASA's inspector general released admitted that many of the moon samples are lost forever and the agency needed to keep better records.

[gallery=570]

NASA has lent more than 26,000 to museums and scientists over the years. The inspector general audited a quarter of these samples, and reported that more than 500 have either been lost or stolen. 19 percent of the recipient's in question could not locate the samples, either because they were lost, they had been destroyed or lent to other institutions. Some of these samples can never be gained again, including 22 meteorites and two comet samples from an operation that retrieved them from a comet as it passed by.

In other cases, one scientist admitted to possessing 9 samples he borrowed more than 35 years ago. Others kept samples for 16 or more years after they had finished working with them. Even worse, some scientists said they held onto moon samples that they had never performed any experiments on at all.

NASA's report doesn't mean that it will stop lending out moon rocks, but the agency plans to adopt specific measures to track and keep accurate records of where its samples are located. I imagine that NASA will start checking in with these scientists to return the rocks after they are used, and start tracking them with bar codes or another tracking method to keep them all straight.

These rocks are difficult to replace, now that we haven't traveled to the Moon since 1972 and are likely not to return since the space shuttles are retired from service. Crap, we're not going to get any more moon rocks any time soon.

Source: CBC [http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/12/09/science-missing-space-samples-nasa.html]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildtexas/4381095855/sizes/m/in/photostream/])

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
We cannot find the priceless moon rocks, nor can we find Kennedy's brain, or the missing 18 minutes of the Watergate tapes, but don't worry, it doesn't mean anything!

<__>

*Hides a box titled "The Truth"*

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
We cannot find the priceless moon rocks, nor can we find Kennedy's brain, or the missing 18 minutes of the Watergate tapes, but don't worry, it doesn't mean anything!

<__>

Is the alien proof in there too?

OP: That's pretty funny. Next space mission they bring something back from I'm calling and asking to "borrow" one for 16 years.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
NightHawk21 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

<__>

Tell me what? What were we talking about again? I don't believe we've met. Its nice to meet you.

Makon

Jul 9, 2008
Cave Johnson bought them all. Put them into a gel, then found out they were pure poison.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:

<__>

Did we really loose the other two things? I never heard about those.

OT: Great, if we didn't need enough proof of our countries incompetence.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
I expect they assumed that we'd, like, keep going to the moon. I'm terribly surprised that we don't have a permanent base up there, it makes no fucking sense at all that we've stopped spending money on that kind of thing ...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
NightHawk21 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

<__>

How did I end up in here? And why am I strapped to a bed? WHAT'S GOING ON HE-

*flash*

I like trains.

OT: You would think these things would be taken care of more carefully. I mean its not just a normal rock...

OR MAYBE EVERYTHING WAS FAKED!

These could be rocks just taken from an old quarry and they've been touting them as space rocks for years now! It's a conspira-

*flash*

I crave cheese.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I was *going* to make a post about Cave Johnson grinding the moon rocks into a gel and discovering that they're pure poison, but it looks like everyone already did that.

CAPTCHA: all asoimp

ALL HAIL THE ASO-IMP!!!

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
EHKOS said:
Did we really loose the other two things? I never heard about those.
I'm pretty sure no one kept Kennedy's brain; that would be just weird. But one of the tapes uncovered during the Watergate investigation did have a large section erased. Considering the sort of info they didn't bother erasing, there must have been some serious stuff on there.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Why are some people here talking about me? I don't have any moon rocks. What am I supposed to do with moon rocks beside using them as paperweight?

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Greg Tito said:
These rocks are difficult to replace, now that we haven't traveled to the Moon since 1972 and are likely not to return since the space shuttles are retired from service. Crap, we're not going to get any more moon rocks any time soon.
Frankly, I wouldn't be too worried.

NASA's focusing heavily on robotics at this point, and they actually do have a mission in the works which focuses on returning samples from Mars.

I don't really see grabbing a few rocks off the Moon being a big hassle for them.

Also, why would the retirement of the Shuttle programme be an issue?

Those things were never meant for anything other than near-Earth work in the first place, and wouldn't be a suitable tool for reaching the moon.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
You know, the first thing I thought of when I read this was all the conspiricy nuts who went on about how the Moon Landing was faked. I never believed that, and still don't, but this is perhaps the most compelling reason to defend that theory ever....

One thing the goverment does well and takes seriously is bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy. Looking at this it does make for a compelling arguement that the goverment never took them seriously since it was a big fake and they just handed off a bunch of rocks and said "these are from the moon".

I look back at other goverment lies and how they turned out, like the whole "human flesh lampshade" that was shown off by the War Department as evidence of heinous Nazi war crimes during World War II. The goverment seemed to forget all about that whopper which is why someone was able to test it and prove that it was made out of goat skin, which has since put a lot of pressure on claims about Nazi War Crimes in general.

I doubt it means the moon landing was faked, but it does raise some interesting questions. Of course it might just mean that a lot of the specific "moon rocks" they loaned out were fake where they kept the real ones under closer watch and simply forgot about all the fakes they had passed out or something.

Basically, I find it hard to believe that the goverment would drop the ball quite that badly. For all goverment knocking, this is the kind of things it tends to be pretty anal about when it's real.

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
That is... I'm actually speachless that a scientific instituation would be so lase-far with irriplaceable samples.
My geology coarse dept has fragments of meteorites worth hundreds of pounds and there are certainly less moon rocks on this planet than meteorites! It annoys me when people don't recognise the true value of something.

My advice to NASA, keep the rest of them under lock and key and let the scientists go to the mountain so to speak. Surely NASA has decent equipment, they're US funded right? Oh wait...

In all seriousness rocks from the moon provide key information about how it was formed and the processes that occured on the surface before the present day. Pretty please can some twit not loose them? Ta.

IrishSim

Jul 31, 2011
NASA used to be pretty awesome, but now they can't aford to do anything but waste time. *sigh* No Americans on Mars then.