NASA Says Don't Worry About Falling Satellite

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Personally speaking, wouldn't it have been best to not tell anyone about the satellite since they don't expect it to do any damage, and then cover up the collision as best they can?

No need to release this information and cause a panic for no real reason.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm certain this has been said, and while I am no physicist, I think the main reason they're not worried about it is because most of it will burn up in the atmosphere. Satellites aren't launched into space as-is, they have to go up on rockets with projective shielding around them. The rockets and then shielding are shed and the satellite comes online to manuver into orbit.

Am I wrong in thinking that most of it will probably just be burned up?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
ZeZZZZevy said:
Well, it was nice knowing you all.

Also, telling people to not touch something from space is just going to encourage them to go looking for said debris.

Unless...this is all part of their master plan.
I don't think that people are actually going to touch it once they get close enough to feel the immense heat coming off the debris. Stuff doesn't fall through the atmosphere and stay at room temperature.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Was this supposed to be funny or something? 'Cause I don't get it.

Satellites really do burn up on re-entry, and it really does happen all the time, and it really is perfectly safe.

Why would you randomly pick this one satellite and pretend that somehow it's suddenly strange that they're claiming it's safe? This just doesn't make any sense at all.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
NASA is right though. there are thousand objects in earths orbit by now. and they do fall to earth quite often. not to mention all the meterites that fall, hundreds of them. they all burn up. and this satelite will likely burn up before it falls down and we wont even feel it.

as for not touching part, its been in outer atmosphere for 20 years now. it is extremely likely that it has soaked enough radiation to burn people touching it during that time. its also going to be bloody hot after re-entry.

NASA really needs some kind of recycling program. They track where the satellites are after their "missions" are over, why couldn't a shuttle nab it on its way back so they could strip it for parts?
because to send a shuttle to pick it up costs more than to build a new one, duh. and it takes less effort too. besides the thing will jut burn to dust anyway, so stop panicking.
you should be more worried about 2034 mars solar eclipse when mars will be closest to earth since thousands of years ago. no this is no end of the world by any means but the gravity may cause huge floods and such.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Misleading article. Sattelites disintegrate and burn up in the atmosphere. They are not designed to keep together in such conditions and fall apart like a handful of sand. I predict that there'll be very little damage, if any at all.
ultrachicken said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Well, it was nice knowing you all.

Also, telling people to not touch something from space is just going to encourage them to go looking for said debris.

Unless...this is all part of their master plan.
I don't think that people are actually going to touch it once they get close enough to feel the immense heat coming off the debris. Stuff doesn't fall through the atmosphere and stay at room temperature.
Also, outside of the atmosphere there's a lot of radiation. Perhaps that's also part of the DON'T TOUCH policy.

Khundes

Mar 25, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
Khundes said:
(And I full well assume a certain Faux Noise will get on that regardless)
Ok this has been bothering me for awhile, you people do realize that faux isn't pronounced "fox" right? It is pronounced "fou" with the normal f sound and a long O
Much like "Noise" isn't phonetically the same as "News" either. The pun is in the similarity of the naming, though not phonetically. :)

Besides, "Fake Noise" doesn't have the same impact. One french word later, it looks similar and conveys the same meaning! :p

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Seriously?

Who would touch something that's been through re-entry?
Things that go through re-entry get so hot they become completely sterile.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Khundes said:
artanis_neravar said:
Khundes said:
(And I full well assume a certain Faux Noise will get on that regardless)
Ok this has been bothering me for awhile, you people do realize that faux isn't pronounced "fox" right? It is pronounced "fou" with the normal f sound and a long O
Much like "Noise" isn't phonetically the same as "News" either. The pun is in the similarity of the naming, though not phonetically. :)

Besides, "Fake Noise" doesn't have the same impact. One french word later, it looks similar and conveys the same meaning! :p
Ok as long as you know (I'm pretty sure there are people here who don't know) :D

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Just found this article, its in Spanish but, whatever.

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1409399-explosion-en-una-vivienda-de-esteban-echeverria

10 people die after a mysterious meteorite, describe by witness as a "Giant Ball of Fire from Space", crashed near Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Anyone??