Natural 20: Trolling Alignments

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Good god this is so nostalgic. I can remember sessions a lot like this where we're all squabbling over alignments. It looks like I have a new feature to check out on the Escapist.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Oh cool, they have a Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/natural20?ty=h

I really don't understand how this webseries isn't more widely known. I've been throwing links to friends all over the place, it is fantastic.

thacko

Jan 24, 2016
Lightknight said:

I really don't understand how this webseries isn't more widely known. I've been throwing links to friends all over the place, it is fantastic.
Dude, you are a badass. Seriously. I love this series so much and to know that other people love it as well makes me feel great :)

Breywood said:
Good god this is so nostalgic. I can remember sessions a lot like this where we're all squabbling over alignments. It looks like I have a new feature to check out on the Escapist.
Oh man you should have seen the rehearsals for this, it was pretty much us all arguing against the script the whole time with our interpretations of alignments.

Lazule

Oct 11, 2013
I always thought Alignments were stupid and others knowing them too. There are things better kept in secret.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
Ah, the players with their "great unique character concepts". They are fun! For an hour or two. Before they are inevitably killed. Not always by monsters.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Ha, I liked that! How come I've never seen that before?

OT: I like making unconventional characters like Garmungus. In a previous game I had a hulking barbarian called Bom, who was convinced he could be a sneaky gentleman thief. He would regularly jeopardize the party by demanding subtlety, only to blunder straight into conflict.

I had a vampire I once wanted to roll with who suffered from aphasia, which prevented him from answering questions (he knows the answers, but he is incapable of saying them). Sadly the group folded before the game even started, so I have no idea of how much of a hindrance/benefit this could have been.

I also am of the opinion that alignments should be secret, or at least, not explicitly described. It breaks immersion, creates stupid arguments about how characters are supposed to behave, and encourages players to make weird decisions based only on alignment (and not on what the character would specifically do).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
thacko said:
Lightknight said:

Dude, you are a badass. Seriously. I love this series so much and to know that other people love it as well makes me feel great :)
Oh man, that comment that comes up right after a pledge is confirmed on the Patreon? Haha. You guys have balls.

evilengine

Nov 20, 2009
I've played a lot over the last few years, my current character, Leash, is a little odd in that he doesn't even want to be in the current adventure. Rather his character goal is he wants to go home, but due to cooperate weasels, debts to the company, and an explosive built into his head he's not in a position to just pack up and go.

Other characters include Epson Cannon (a comic obsessed 15 year old armed with a bat), Zara the Quarian and her robot bodyguard Murphy (the latter speaks in almost constant movie quotes), Bumgob the Right-Hand (an orc who works for the mafia), Hamish Sheepshank (an anthropomorphic otter sailor who speaks in an near-unintelligible Scottish accent), and my beloved Threeballs (an aged engineer in the Firefly universe who generally solves problems with fisticuffs, speaks like Rooster Cogburn from True Grit, and mystifies the players by explaining the origin of his nickname with a different story each time).

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
That brings back memories of Warhammer and my mutated Chaos Beastman with a goat's body and three heads. Made going into towns somewhat challenging for the party.

For some reason, I have no friends to play pen & paper games with anymore though.

thacko

Jan 24, 2016
Lightknight said:
Oh man, that comment that comes up right after a pledge is confirmed on the Patreon? Haha. You guys have balls.
I don't even have access to the Patreon ;)

Smilomaniac said:
Besides that, the group doesn't feel natural to me, but more like a "Big bang theory" kind of setting that stereotypes nerdiness; People dabbling in "nerd" for the first time.
When I first read a Nat20 script I told Jack, "I have to be Tyrell". I'm totally a munchkin player. This is a show written, acted, and crewed by life long nerds.