Natural Selection Can Suck It.

Sam G

Jul 14, 2009
You know, it's funny...
Assuming there was a nuclear/zombie/raptor apocalypse, you'd assume Mother Nature would intend for the fittest, most healthy humans to survive, right?
But that's not what's going to happen. We, the unfit, unskilled video-game nerds are going to live through it, while all the olympic athletes and manly muscle-men get eaten/vaporized/infected. That's all because we are the ones who plan for this sort of situation, whereas the healthy athletic people are busy doing other things, like exercising and populating the planet.
So, "Survival of the Fittest" isn't exactly going to work this time round. You know you've screwed up your planet when the wrong group of people survive the end of it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
sam g said:
You know, it's funny...
Assuming there was a nuclear/zombie/raptor apocalypse, you'd assume Mother Nature would intend for the fittest, most healthy humans to survive, right?
But that's not what's going to happen. We, the unfit, unskilled video-game nerds are going to live through it, while all the olympic athletes and manly muscle-men get eaten/vaporized/infected. That's all because we are the ones who plan for this sort of situation, whereas the healthy athletic people are busy doing other things, like exercising and populating the planet.
So, "Survival of the Fittest" isn't exactly going to work this time round. You know you've screwed up your planet when the wrong group of people survive the end of it.
Pretty sure Survival of the Fittest is not to do with who conforms to whatever physical or mental criterium you put on it, but more to do with who can adapt to the new environment the fastest and most efficiently.

Also I call into question the validity of the claim that nerds have a plan. They have an internet plan. Theory and practise are two very different things. Maybe one or two people who have these so-called plans on the Escapist pull them off without a hitch and don't die in the initial wave of nuclear/zombies/velociraptors.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Being completely serious for a moment and discounting the two impossible scenarios (zombie/raptor apocalypse) why would a nuclear holocaust only leave nerds as the survivors? Radiation would be fairly unselective in who it killed, and I don't think that our plans on here constitute into real life survival skills. If anything a wide range of people would be left, with natural selection having nothing to do with it, more luck to have survived than anything else. I believe they call that situation a genetic bottleneck, and the genes which survive are totally random.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Inverse Skies said:
Being completely serious for a moment and discounting the two impossible scenarios (zombie/raptor apocalypse) why would a nuclear holocaust only leave nerds as the survivors? Radiation would be fairly unselective in who it killed, and I don't think that our plans on here constitute into real life survival skills. If anything a wide range of people would be left, with natural selection having nothing to do with it, more luck to have survived than anything else. I believe they call that situation a genetic bottleneck, and the genes which survive are totally random.
Nerds would survive because we can see our own health bar :D

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Most internet nerds would chicken out for zombie killing.

And besides survival of the fittest means who can adapt, not who is more physically fitter.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
ActionDan said:
Ah yes, but what about modern FPS's which don't use health bars?
We'll just sit behind a wall and regenerate for a few seconds.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
A nuke isn't a natural thing though - it's not like where one species can eat more than other, and therefore out lives another.

McHanhan

Sep 13, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Inverse Skies said:
ActionDan said:
Also don't forget that when we search our pockets for collected inventory, time stops. So we have the space-time continuum backing us up.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Except for the fact that gamers only think they know what will happen, while in reality knowing fuck all.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
McHanhan said:
WrongSprite said:
Inverse Skies said:
ActionDan said:
Also don't forget that when we search our pockets for collected inventory, time stops. So we have the space-time continuum backing us up.
Also we can access the console. sv_cheats 1 :D

McHanhan

Sep 13, 2009
traceur_ said:
Except for the fact that gamers only think they know what will happen, while in reality knowing fuck all.
I'm very annoyed with myself. Every time I hear the word 'gamers', I keep thinking 'social outcast', even though that's not true.

imp_spittle

Nov 25, 2009
So, you're telling us you have a stockpile of canned goods and assault weapons in your radiation-proof shelter? You're also telling us that every video-game playing nerd in the world also has a stockpile of canned goods and assault weapons in his radiation-proof shelter? That's funny; I thought video game-playing nerds spent most of their time forgetting to eat as they sat in front of World of Warcraft trying to conquer some dungeon for digital gold and other loot that doesn't physically exist. Those are some impressive survival skills they got there. I am in awe of their survival skills. Oh, noble nerd, please teach me your survival skills.

Also, how are video game-playing nerds going to repopulate the species after the dark times? Girl nerds do exist, but not in the numbers necessary for repopulating the planet.

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
Um.... not all of us are unfit and unskilled.
Also, when it comes down to repopulating the planet, I'm still going for the hunky athletic men first.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Not if you're in a high radiation zone!
Woodsey said:
A nuke isn't a natural thing though - it's not like where one species can eat more than other, and therefore out lives another.
In the scheme of things neither is say, a flood or forest fire to genetics - yet something like that could virtually wipe out a species and change the gene pool dramatically.

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
We ARE the fittest.Survival of the fittest doesnt mean those only fit in body.But also in other topics

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
There's having the knowledge, and then there's implementing that knowledge.

For example:

Just because you know how to fire a gun, doesn't mean you can just pick one up the first time and not screw up horificaly.

Knowledge means jack shit if you don't have the ability/fitness/strength to back it up.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
McHanhan said:
WrongSprite said:
Inverse Skies said:
ActionDan said:
And we can carry unneccessary amounts of guns and ammo around, with it seeming to make almost no difference at all, e.g. bulky weapons shrink to the size of a pea.

Cheesezorz

Jun 14, 2009
Athletics don't know the hidden means of surviving a zombie apocalypse.

Corner camp and melee spam.

Adanos

Oct 24, 2009
Survival of the fittest was screwed when we invented cures for almost every sickness .