Navy Developing Cyber-Attack Weaponry

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Boba Frag said:
SnipErlite said:
Mate, just sign up 4chan to the navy. They'll do a much better job [sub]Target not guaranteed to be the enemy. Results may vary[/sub]
Lol!
Exactly! Hire "industry experts" :p
Problem is you can't control who they go for.

They're like mercenaries who don't honour your bargain even if they get paid. For teh lulz.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
SnipErlite said:
Boba Frag said:
SnipErlite said:
Mate, just sign up 4chan to the navy. They'll do a much better job [sub]Target not guaranteed to be the enemy. Results may vary[/sub]

They're like mercenaries who don't honour your bargain even if they get paid. For teh lulz.
Whoah, whoah....

You know mercenaries who *do* honour their bargains??? :p
Blackwater is gonna out of business once these guys get their name around! lol :p

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The US military is going to end us all! Well, to be honest its the way it is going to it is not unexpexted to see somsone developing it

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Boba Frag said:
SnipErlite said:
Boba Frag said:
SnipErlite said:

Whoah, whoah....

You know mercenaries who *do* honour their bargains??? :p
Blackwater is gonna out of business once these guys get their name around! lol :p
Wellllll you know, if you pay them enough then they'll help you out a bit.

4chan are far more fickle....

Birras

Jun 19, 2008
...God damn it, United States Navy. I told you to check science fiction before inventing something cool to make sure it won't enslave/destroy humanity, but no, no one listen to Birras, he's just an old fool. I better de-network the emergency shuttle that takes me to my underground orbiting moonbase, just to be safe.

kaizoman

Creepy Pirate Pants!
Sep 12, 2008
I seem to be the only one that noticed this... but... This post was made on March 31st very late in the day on Military.com it was probably April 1st someplace, right?

I appreciate the interest factor here and that it might be real, but has anyone forgot... we have the INTERNET!? Why the hell would I fly a plane anywhere? to hack into a networked system?

I'm not saying it isn't real, but this might be more of a battlefield intelligence disruption system, preventing reliable communications between C&C and deployed forces. I can't think of any non battle field situation where arming a 200million dollar airplane with a glorified WiFi antenna would be more efficient than a brain sitting in a cubical in Colorado Springs sending packets across the Internet.

Filed under /Military/Weird/Where are my LIGHSABERS!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Wardog13 said:
So basically a weapon that can annihilate any first world country? Nice.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with this. Terrorist cells would have the means to use WiFi, but considering where they have to operate these days, I highly doubt they would use WiFi or even be that stupid to in the first place. (Edit:If they are that stupid, so much the better for us)
I'm reminded of the movie Sneakers [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105435/]. Scientist comes up with a code that breaks all cyphers. What doesn't become apparent until a little later is it was only all American cyphers that this code breaks. It would only be good for using against Americans.
This feels like what we have here. The military have no sanction to use weapons within US borders(at least not without presidential authority), but how long before certain agencies decide to borrow it? Homeland Security will want it, the CIA, the FBI, the NSA...
This is a dangerous monster, and I am hoping since we even know of it that its capabilities are actually not much. Hopefully it just jams Wifi signals and nothing else.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Hopefully it just jams Wifi signals and nothing else.
I guess you didn't read the article at Military.com they said it will probably, "be used for electronic attack and cyber-invasion." I am really happy I live in the US right now....

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
It's hilarious how this reads like the screenplay of a 90s techno thriller written by people who didn't quite know what the internet was.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept.

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
This weapon is designed to take out command and control networks and battlefield comms. Those weapons are not networked into the internet so an attack from a computer based in NORAD won't be able to access it. You use this baby to force your way onto their encrypted comms network and f with it. If you remove your enemies ability to talk and coordinate attacks then you have half their strength and sent them back to WWII era tactics and capabilities. It isn't meant to take out terrorists as the terrorist's don't have the fund or capabilities to create a network that we would have to force our way into with this level of sophistication. A weapon like this is designed with mainly the Chinese, Koreans, Iranians, and Russians in mind.

As far as the EMP discussion goes the US has had EMPs for a long time. All you need to create an EMP is to detonate a Nuke in space above an opposing nation. We are vulnerable to this too. Detonate a nuke 200 miles up above the USA and you will completely disable any unshielded electronics. This is why the military shields its things and creates multiple back up systems. They have been working on non-nation ending EMPs. Something more useful for the battlefield.

We really don't have anything to fear from this weapon. The intelligence agencies are far to overwhelmed fighting off real enemies to the free world to be bored enough to use it to mess with the very citizens they are tirelessly working to protect. If you are really worried about the agencies knowing what you do and messing with your electronics then you shouldn't even be on the internet. Riddle me this: who set up the internet?

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Okay, yeah, that tears it. I'm going to go live with the Amish. This whole "technology" thing is getting waaaay too out of hand. I'll just make nails the rest of my life. Don't have to worry about little lumps of iron gaining sentience and bringing down mankind.

Terminal Dogma

Apr 2, 2010
"Gentlemen, it is time to destroy the internets!"

"By your command..."

Seriously, though, this looks like one of those R&D dreams come true that will be vetoed by congress in a few years once they realize that the majority of the United State's enemies don't have networked technology of any kind, or even electric lights.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Huh. Friend of mine worked on helping to develop a 'secret' project over the summer with the Dept. of Navy - considering his area of expertise, I'd say this was what he worked on.

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
I would wager it goes through. The cyber realm is a weakness of ours. The Chinese have a huge bot-nets and government hackers to mess with us and we don't have much defense. It may get nixed officially though, but unofficially still be funded. Good way to keep intel low on the project. I mean why else do you think the navy spends one hundred dollars on a hammer?

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
DarkSpectre said:
I would wager it goes through. The cyber realm is a weakness of ours. The Chinese have a huge bot-nets and government hackers to mess with us and we don't have much defense. It may get nixed officially though, but unofficially still be funded. Good way to keep intel low on the project. I mean why else do you think the navy spends one hundred dollars on a hammer?
Actually it's because Navy hammers are awesome.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Boba Frag said:
wow

I have serious reservations about this project's feasibility in the current conflicts that should be the major focus of the US military.
That's the key right there.

China has much more sophisticated systems that will require a number of options for theater commanders to neutralize. Almost nothing in development, hardware or tactics wise, is being developed for the middle east conflicts.