NBC's Constantine Trailer: Electroshock, Exorcism, Astra? Magic!

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
NBC's Constantine Trailer: Electroshock, Exorcism, Astra? Magic!

He may only be a petty dabbler, but he's looking pretty good so far.

NBC's jumping in with both feet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134349-NBC-Has-Ordered-Constantine-For-Full-Series], and so far its Constantine is looking pretty damn good. There's not a whole lot you can say about a trailer - apart from woo! trailer! obviously - so rather than go through the whole woo, I'm just going to transcribe my thought process:

'Ravenscar, eh? Nice one, a call-back to Delano's run can only be a good thing. Ah, and a Newcastle reference too! Bet it's not really Newcastle though, at least not the place; but they're keeping the plot point in about John condemning Astra to hell, a focal point of Delano's early character development for Con-job. Guess Ryan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132821-NBCs-Constantine-Will-Cling-to-Its-Source-Materal]'s Welsh, but that's no Welshman I've ever heard before, and a long, long way from Liverpool too. A sidekick? Liv Aberdine ... no, not ringing any bells. Could be a Gemma substitute; Gemma was Constantine's niece in the books, but daughter of oldest friend works too, I guess ...'

NBC's Constantine [http://www.nbc.com/constantine] is due this fall. One to watch? We shall see!

Source: NBC [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPE2oBnzROY]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, that looks pretty schlocky. Got me intrigued about the comics though, so... mission accomplished I suppose?

I'll probably still check it out come release.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Gotta say looks ok, hopeful with a bit better choice of suporting acters going forward might actually be pretty good.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
Doesn't seem to quite catch the spirit of the comics and threatening the apocalypse has been done like a hundred times on supernatural tv shows lately.

Doesn't look bad though, relative to everything else on tv anyway.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Looks like it might have promis. But as cool as it looked with that shot of Constantine using magic I am more looking forward to him being the sneaky, manipulative bastard he really is.

But I will not judge until I have seen a few episodes. Hell it cannot be any worse than the Dresden Files show. Now that was bad.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Oh wow that accent really is all over the place. He definitely goes into the Swansea Welsh every now and then (0:55) and then in other sections he seemed half Irish :)

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Is this all footage from the Pilot? Because that could be one explanation (Besides the rather simple "It don't look too good") for why everythings looks a bit cheap. It would possibly explain the accent inconsistency, various pilots have actors attempting accents that they drop for the main series. Doubtful they'll take the risk of a scouse accent, but then again I don't hear Constantine with that accent when I'm reading, so it won't bug me as much as it will some people.

I'll go as far as to say this doesn't look bad, and certainly looks and sounds more Constantine than the movie.

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
I noticed the accent too. And the trenchcoat looks more like a costume than something he actually wears. Threatening the apocalypse and the fish out of water-storylines seem pretty generic of the genre, but maybe it's just using the tropes to set up the weird stuff it apes from the comics.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Lenny Magic said:
Is this all footage from the Pilot? Because that could be one explanation (Besides the rather simple "It don't look too good") for why everythings looks a bit cheap. It would possibly explain the accent inconsistency, various pilots have actors attempting accents that they drop for the main series. Doubtful they'll take the risk of a scouse accent, but then again I don't hear Constantine with that accent when I'm reading, so it won't bug me as much as it will some people.

I'll go as far as to say this doesn't look bad, and certainly looks and sounds more Constantine than the movie.
It's a bit too much to all be from the Pilot I think, unless they're planning to introduce that many plot-lines right off the get-go. I do agree though, a lot of the stuff looks a bit more low-key in terms of production, but it's not bad as much as it's a bit odd given the subject matter.

Can't really judge much outside of that, it seems like it has potential but also seems like it go the way of every other supernatural show on right now (including Supernatural. God that show...).

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Looks okay but the movie had a better atmosphere judging by the trailer though.

They have enough right for it to be worth a shot (as an adaptation I mean).

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Not sure I'm sold yet as it looks like it may be a little too heavy on the cheese, but I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye out for it when it comes out. Could be good.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, I'm interested. I'm not an acting scholar but I will go so far as to say that you can't really tell much about the acting by a few flash scenes in a trailer. If I can say anything doesn't look quite right, it's that it looks overall too bright in the trailer. But I'm definitely going to check it out.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Honestly, I was just grateful that it looked more Hellblazery than it sounded at first announcement. I will watch the pilot and a couple of episodes. Hopefully it's not shambolic.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Hmmm, felt a little like they were channeling bits from the film but maybe that's my paranoia (because jesus christ, that movie was just the Matrix with demons not machines). Hoping they do get to establish some of the main themes of the comics (like, John never actually wins, he's usually at least as much of a prick as the things he's opposing and all the 'random victims' you get at the start of a storyline/to show how bad the monsters are, are his friends being dragged into the problems by him)

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
I am more looking forward to him being the sneaky, manipulative bastard he really is.
Yes, that kind of stuff is so much cooler...

Here's hoping they just stuffed all the actiony-bits in the trailer to get your attention.
From this it seems very generic, though, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well if this doesnt work out, at least there is the 2nd season of Hannibal appearing to quench the need for morally ambigious watching.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Looks alright, so I'll probably give it a look if I'm able... it might just turn out to be fun.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Could be good. Accent is pretty terrible, but probably best he's not trying the Liverpool accent.

The lack of cigarettes is concerning, but I'm hoping that's just for the trailer.

Do not like the idea of him having some whiney sidekick, though. This whole "I see dead people" thing is pretty naff, too. I heard Chas is going to be a gentle guy with some knowledge of the occult, which is pretty backwards from the source material.

But he looks good as John. He acts the part, too. I am optimistic.