Near Miss

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
roushutsu said:
Should Disney really continue with this kind of advertising, especially when it gives people the wrong expectations?
Unfortunately, in this day of age, all businessmen care about is the majority: if the majority likes seeing 3 triplets cause cute havoc, an firey red head not exactly showing how Badd enough she is but instead also joining in the hijinks, and craggy looking Scotsmen enjoying flashing each other, then so be it rather the minority find that style of advertising unimpressive or not.

I noticed enough commercials to notice they're were shooting for everyone though rather it works or not remains to be seen in the coming weeks.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
I think part of the problem is that the movie was too short. There wasn't enough room to let the characters breath and explain things properly. More time spent learning about the four princes would have been nice.

But I like Merida. She's a great character, from her design to how she's a good older sister. I really wouldn't mind seeing a sequel somewhere down the line, and really get a chance to explore her world.

naughtydoggus

Dec 21, 2009
Bob, I personally found this review very helpful in experessing my own ambiguous views on the movie. In fact, wanted to let you know I taged you in my latest article at Toy-TMA.

http://www.toy-tma.com/hot-toys/anime-cartoons/korra-finale-review/

Keep up the good work.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
I was disturbed by the advertising, wether that was to hide the twist or not though I'm not sure. Could just be Disney targeting too narrow an audience. The advertising does sum up the first act of the story though, as baseline as it is. The set up and reveil of the twist and everything afterwards though was absolutely fantastic.

So after getting into a shouting match with her Mom over an arranged marriage <font color=#ffffff>and tearing a tapestry her mom made for her, Merida rides her horse into the woods she's used many times for archery practice. There, she stumbles onto a witch who gives her a potion to change her fate, or more specifically, her Mom. This, in a really interesting twist, turns the Mom into <font color=#ffffff>a bear; for which her husband is known for hunting after a demon one chewed his leg clean off. So Merida and her <font color=#ffffff>now bear Mom escape into the woods to try to fix everything lending them time to bond as the more wilderness savvy Merida helps he Mom cope with her situation.

They get a clue left by the witch that explains how to break the curse<font color=#ffffff>, mend the rip caused by pride, and learn that the spell was used once before <font color=#ffffff>on an old king whom became the demon bear. Eventually, the rest of the castle spot the <font color=#ffffff>bear mom and Merida has to convince them to stop before they kill her and try to break the curse. This leads to a climatic battle <font color=#ffffff>with the demon bear and the eventual breaking of the curse.

The movie has it's Disney/Pixar flair that you come to expect, in some places more then others to the point where you'd swear this was a joke pulled from some other studio. Which I'll allow Pixar the occasional mulligan.

It's well worth it for the scenery, mythos, and the latter portions of the film.

I think what drags it down in many people is the first act, for which elements may carry over into the second and third, but the latter half certainly makes up for it in my opinion.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
"the time has come for her to be married to one of the three sons of the land's three other kings" Well I think they are more like Merida's Dad's bannermen.

The different clans were actually really well researched. The Blond Vikings from the Islands of the North, the Picts covered in Blue war paint from the North East, the Brunettes who fight the Romans a lot from the central beat (where all the people live now) and Merida's family the red headed Celts from the North West. The film was very well research if nothing else.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Neino Ranatos said:
I was honestly very disappointed in this movie. It had a lot of potential to do something different or at least fun and interesting that we don't see often.

Unfortunately, that was not the case. It was a good movie, but not a Pixar movie.

I share the arrow analogy, Bob. Looks like Pixar won't win the princess' hand, but it was a very good try.

Disney already made this movie? It was called Brother Bear. The only difference in plot was setting and a brother-brother relationship.

And with Monsters University on the horizon, is it safe to say that Pixar's era of innovation is either ending or on a down-curve?
Agreed wholeheartedly with whats in the spoiler tag.