Need a good venting game. Suggestions?

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Either Saints Row games or Counter-Strike: Global Offensive with easy bots.

Nothing cures stress like a few rounds of the latter, especially in Deathmatch mode.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
I would say the Destroy All Humans! games, but you've gotta advance through the game to get the cool powers and weapons before you can really go on a rampage of destruction.
Though you could get the same satisfaction with Saints Row IV, cheat to unlock all powers and guns, infinite ammo and health, and blast away!

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Alorxico said:
Anyone have any suggestions?
Seconding the person who suggested Serious Sam. You can pick up the First and Second Encounters in HD for fairly cheap, and they'll run even on integrated graphics.

Plot? No.
Levels? Yes.
Player Levelling? No. You find a weapon, it's yours. Old school armour and speed powerups and health packs.
Stupid AI? Yes - all enemies are basically set to 'charge' or 'shoot'. Or 'charge while shooting'. No cover, no AI teamwork, just hordes of them.
Cheats/mods? I've never really used them, but I'm pretty sure you can.
Endless bullets? Not quite, but you can carry a stupid amount of ammo (dozens of even the rarest ammo types), and most weapons don't even need reloading. You can carry all weapons at once.
Stealth Sections? I think not.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
Saints Row II - IV
GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas
Batman Arkham Asylum/City in the Endless Wave form
Halo ODST, firefight mode
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I usually enjoyed prototype for this kind of mindless fun, it was always pretty fun to be some kind of unstoppable godlike being who just rampaged around a wartorn NYC.
Other than that most games will need some kind of investment or preparation such as levelling up a new character and such, Dynasty warriors can work pretty well for just getting in and whacking some guys though.

I would also second the recommendation for Orcs must die 2. I have only played the first game but it was a lot of fun and I imagine the second one will be much the same.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Honestly, having been in the same boat, I would suggest Left4Dead or Left4Dead2 first for some spousal coop. It's what my wife and I used for quite a while.

There are a lot of good suggestions here, with a lot of free destruction games. On that note, I would suggest any Lego property you like, as the Star Wars, LOTR, and Marvel games are all good for wanton destruction, and cute as well.

However the calming, cathartic feeling usually requires, for me, a mixture of "shoot stuff in the face" and "win the level." Accomplishing something is usually better at cooling one off. Hence, playing Left4Dead on normal or even easy difficulty can be great for just blowing off steam.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I recommend Destroy All Humans 2 if possible. The DAH series allows for quite a bit of venting, and the great thing about the second game is that it has 2 player co-op for the story. If not that, then I always found that Fallout New Vegas seems to relieve my stress.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, Beat Hazard really surprised me as a stress reducer. I don't even typically like those games and I'm not really a big fan of music. But the combination of the two on easy mode is remarkable.

Didn't see any responses regarding what console/system you use. PC has a lot more options than consoles do because of the range of cheats you can pull. Dynasty warrios and the Saints Row games are a nice every console option.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Arkham City, Riddler's Revenge combat maps. You do have to play the game and gather Riddler trophies to unlock them, but once you do there's little that's more satisfying than dropping Batman into a room of overconfident thugs and leaving it with all their unconscious asses on the ground.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Saints Row 4.

Superpowers, guns, rock music, aliens...go to town. It's the most recent one that comes to mind.

Kilyle

Jan 31, 2011
Gonna concur on Saints Row IV. I came in once to find my friend playing it (either that or Saints Row the Third, which IV beats out handily) and within a couple of minutes surmised without a word from him that he had had a really rough day/week and the game was helping him unwind. Before that realization, I had never considered that these "play the guy who steals cars and shoots random people with impunity" games could actually serve a (potentially) beneficial purpose.

I haven't actually played much of it (though I now own it thanks to a Steam Sale), but the game line is very sandboxy, and although there are missions to go on and characters to interact with, you are pretty much free to run around gunning down baddies, or steal a car and drive rampant through the streets. Or (eventually) a helicopter, or a tank. Or... not sure if this is in all the SR games, but I had a TON of fun with the "insurance scam" quest, where you throw yourself into traffic and try to get ragdoll-physicked for as much moolah as possible (the farther your body flies, the better). I did not expect to enjoy that quest but man, was I wrong about that.

Saints Row IV's improvement over the previous ones is in the addition of a sort of super powers. When I saw my friend playing it for the first time, I thought it was something you probably had to earn by playing through a lot of the game, but he said you get them almost immediately.

Another recommendation, not so much about shooting though: Go on Kongregate and look up Earn to Die. I was just idly browsing games one time when I felt really depressed, and came across this one and thought "Looks stupid, but why not?" Five minutes later I was mowing down zombies with my monster truck, doing no more than pressing forward and occasionally up and down for stability, and laughing my ass off. There's something to be said for dumb fun.

THEMILKMAN

Jun 16, 2009
svenjl said:
My suggestion would be Vanquish, an often overlooked TPS that involves constant mayhem, chaos and lots of incredible robot destroying action - it was highly rated by critics and fans but never sold that well. It's crazy fun and very cheap nowadays. I would also recommend, as others have done, Just Cause 2, Saints Row and Bulletstorm. The Gears of War series is a great co-op experience if you enjoy playing together, as are the Halo games. Hope you both have fun!
It's always nice to see Platinum Studios getting some love and Vanquish especially is easily their most overlooked gem. All of their games (Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Madworld, Anarchy Reigns) are fun as hell beat-em-ups that make you feel awesome and the soundtracks are consistently among the best in games ever.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Warhammer 40k Space Marine

Very few games capture the visceral feeling of getting waist-deep in the bodies of the enemies you have chainsawed/shot/bludgeoned/blown up/vaporised and absolutely destroyed.

How do you get your health back? BY GETTING BACK INTO THE FRAY!

This game excels at making you feel like an unstoppable juggernaut.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I'll add another tick onto the saints row 4 recommendation. It's a lot of fun, lighthearted, and you get to brutally decimate shit with superpowers.