Need a good venting game. Suggestions?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
quake 2 nothing says i had a bad day at work to come home to face stomp your friend like 14 to 1 on the edge when most days that score would be far more in his favor, i wanted blood that day. the same buddy came real close to getting a match with thresh, i never played that well in my life since :p.

quake 2 had co op single player one on one dm was fun as heck on some maps, gg the edge, best dm map in history of gaming, tons of mods for alternate game modes, skins, models, maps. runes mod, rocket arena mod, bots were halfway decent, bfg was immensely fun in quake 2.

nothing in any game quite topped running around as the tick in quake bellowing SPOON! when you gibbed someone.

you got bored shooting stuff you could try trick jumps some real crazy difficult tricks you could preform, liek jumping off the top walk of the edge map done properly you could chain jump the whole room in like 3 jumps start to finish and end up on the far side of the room, insanely difficulty though.

q2 is also open source and free now days runs on lan.

cant hurt to give it a try in either case.

Apr 5, 2008
Dynasty Warriors games for the ultimate in catharsis. Squads of enemy soldiers positively line up to feel the sharp edge of your sword, chakram or sickle and chain.

I would also add L4D2 or Payday 1/2 for another approach. The levels pacing is very good and forces the player to engage in fast paced action, damage control or sneaky sneaky.

There is no complex setup involved in any of the above, just play and have fun.

Hexcel

Feb 3, 2014
An oldie, but a goodie:

Explosion noise! The controls are super fluid and there's no prep time, you just jump into the action. It's a blast, especially in co-op. Also it's being released on Steam next week, so you can find it for any platform you're using.

If you're looking for more of a sandbox to play in though, I'll give a +1 to Just Cause 2 or Saint's Row.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Metal Gear Rising
It is a game where you play as a Cyborg Ninja and you can cut your enemies into extremely little pieces(even bosses), attack by breakdancing, and kick helicopters

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Saints Row IV is pretty much the king of that particular hill at the moment, but if the idea of using superpowers to fight aliens is a little too far fetched, you could always try Prototype, Just Cause 2, or Arkham City. The previous two Saints Row games aren't bad either.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I would recommend Killing Floor.

No plot to speak of, waves of easily killable enemies (which can be ramped up to very difficult to kill), co-op that's very doable with 2 people, but supports up to 6 (unmodded... with mods I've seen upwards of 40)... all in all, a very satisfying stress reliever. If you've never played it before, start on the easiest difficulty and work your way up.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
I will also 6th/7th saints row 4. I bought that game myself for very much the same reason as you OP. The difficulty is not too taxing and after the first half hour lets you run amock with a decent number of superpowers, and then very many superpowers after a few unlocks that just get more powerful as you go. Plus lots and lots of minigames/ sidequests based around dangerous madness. It being quite funny/ daft in most places helps too :)

Other than that I suggest painkiller (Does as the name says) or one of the serious sam games. No objectives, no puzzles no story or level systems etc. Just you and your gun, and hordes of enemies waiting to be taken out. Serious sam DOES have split screen co op I think so that may be a clincher.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Mine is Mortal Kombat (I have the PS3 version). Sure, there's combos and what not, but I don't worry about those. I just do what I did on the arcade version: mash buttons and enjoy the crazy violence.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Painkiller is probably good for enragedly murdering everyone. Or Bulletstorm if you specifically want to get points for shooting people in the dick.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
And not one mention of Red Faction: Guerrilla? An open-world game with FULL environmental destruction? (Well, okay, you can't do anything to the terrain, but that's about it.)

You can pack around a rocket launcher and tear apart ANYTHING that gets in your way. Melee more your thing? No problem, get out your trusty sledgehammer and go crazy. Railguns, nano-rifles, lightning guns, gravity bombs, remote charges, a missile launcher (not rocket), and more, this game's got everything to put any rage you have to rest.

Or, if you want something more tactical and/or realistic, Far Cry 2. It's harder than 3 but more rewarding IMO. Also, it's much more immersive. The only way to pause the game in that one is to pause the game. :p In that one, you'll be preying on outposts, flamethrowering people, blowing stuff up with IED's, finishing mercs off with your machete, and so on. You'll really have to watch yourself and there's somewhat of a learning curve BUT, it's incredibly satisfying to just be able to get into some base and crush the mercs there under the heel of your tactical boot.

And on top of that, you'll build up an ACTUAL armory of weapons that you can look at and take what you want all in real-time.

vIRL Nightmare

Jul 30, 2013
Warframe could be that game if you two want to play together, but that requires a little bit of work or money to start off since it is a free to play model. It's worth noting that it's relatively a straight arrow as far as free to plays are now a days since you can earn everything through gameplay. An example by what I mean by a little bit of work is that after playing for 4 or 5 days I'm now well on my way to getting good guns and weapons and some new warframes (battle armors with powers)

If you don't know, the premise is basically overpowered space ninjas cutting and shooting their way through 3 different factions of baddies. The game also adheres well to the ninja theme (not naruto "ninjas") if you two like that kind of flavor. If you're in a need for something to assist in venting this is worth a try, the best part being is that since it is free to play it costs nothing to install it to your PC or PS4 (which ever if either you have)and try it. If you don't like it, no skin off your nose.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Again for Just Cause 2.

Grab a minigun from a base, gimp alonguntil you find a town or another base and just start exploding shit.

Laughing like a madman while doing this is not mandatory, but definitely adds to the fun factor.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Any Unreal Tournament game. You can tweak everything from AI difficulty to the guns available on the map. And nothing is more satisfying than hearing the announcer go "KILLING SPREE" or "RAMPAGE" after a particularly spectacular kill.

There is also Postal 2, one of the most cathartic games to ever exist. But avoid that one if you or your partner are easily offended.

Farotsu

Dec 30, 2010
Shadow Warrior gunplay and swordplay is incredibly satisfying. The plot is complete nonsense and does not intervene with the massacre of enemies. And the game is quite damn beautiful. If you need more convincing, check out TotalBiscuits video on the game.

purplemonkey555

Aug 23, 2013
Dead Rising and Diablo are both full of mobs of weak enemies that you can just mindlessly slaughter. I'd go with Dead Rising since it has less of an emphasis on plot than Diablo, and you can kill zombies with WRESTLING MOVES. GTA is another good one, just ignore the plot and run around on rampages, stealing cars, and ramping said cars into the ocean. Use some cheats to make it even more interesting. There's also Wii Sports Boxing (no really). Sometimes if somebody was really pissing me off, I would make them a Mii and sign them in as player two. Then I would just wail on them. Good Times : )

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
It's been said before, but Serious Sam has all the things you mentioned, and more! I don't know about the latest iteration, but the HD remakes of the original were pretty fun.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
All of the below.

Serious Sam with a double shotgun and Gatling gun, it's so much fun blowing enemies away (SS1 HD would be my pick, SS3 is slightly more CoD like) On PC and XBLA

Binary Domain, It's a Gears of War clone but with a more arcade feel, faster pacing and easier for noobs to get into, don't let the fact there is only robots to shoot as bit's fly off them makes shooting them so fun.

COJ: Gunsligner, another SP FPS, but set in the wild west. This game feels more like Time Crisis or another arcade lightgun game as enemies just pop up in front of you with no real AI or tactical play common with modern FPS, It's fun especially if you play for score and chain enemies. (XBLA / Steam (PSN?)

Space Marine 40K, 3rd person shooter / hack and slasher hybrid. It's very much inkeeping with the source material, that means the bolt rifle sound meaty as hell, enemies come at you in swarms and when they get to close you can kill them with chainswords and other hand weapons, feels great! especially when you pick up a jump pack and two handed hammer :D

Anarchy Reigns, 3D beat em up, good dumb fun, it's mostly built around MP which is dead on the 360 (dunno about PS3) SP is still fun and it's dirt cheap to buy.

Anarchy Reigns is made by Platinum Games, all their games are worth playing.

For 2D co-op try Jamestown on steam, very noob friendly you'll have fun playing 2 player co-op.

Streets of Rage 2 (It's on steam IIRC) best 2D beat em up ever made imo.

Guardian Heroes on XBLA is another fun co-op / Castle Crashers (on steam too) is abit too dumb for me.

Run and gunners try Metal Slug 3 / XXX, Hardcorps Uprising, Gunstar Heroes

Rail Shooters, REZ HD (XBLA), Child of Eden (PS360) and Sin & Punishment 2 (Wii)

also lightgun games like House of the Dead Over Kill on PS3 Move and Wii

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Prototype is awesome for this, once you get past the unlocks for abilities that you get in the story, or if you use a cheat to unlock.

Orcs Must Die! 2 is awesome, but once again works with unlocks. You get points from killing orcs and completing levels, and with those points you can buy new traps. Still though it's a ton of fun if you're looking for a simple 'kill hordes of enemies' game, and even has co-op!

\Warhammer 40k: Space Marine is the last one I'll suggest. The story is minimal. Single player makes you feel like a badass right from the start, rampaging through hordes of orcs with a chain sword or bolt gun. You have multiplayer, and now a co-op DLC too.