Need advice about AT&T Internet

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
So the last 3 days in a row I've had techs from AT&T come into my home and "fix" whatever this problem is. I guess it started with the fact that I have 5 bars, but my connection drops in and out repeatedly which ends up usually disconnecting all devices in the house for up to 20 seconds. After today they said that it WAS my wireless devices causing the problems, which I doubht 100%. They told me they set it up and fixed whatever the problem was but avoided giving me direct details mostly saying that it was my fault for using wireless to game (which they put the box on the other side of the house. How am I sposto plug a cable in all the way across the house into a xbox one and a pc, also my Ethernet port is busted on my computer so it requires wireless.)

I just want to leave this here.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/124812760.png

So pretty much what the problem is is that despite a stable connection it drops in and out repeatably 24/7 which completely stops my gaming.

Sooo, advice please?

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
G.O.A.T. said:
I can't help other than to say good luck. I've never heard of anyone getting anywhere with AT+T, and if their service crews are half as stupid as the Comcast ones I deal with then you're lucky they didn't replace your heart with a baked potato. Chances are it's them and not your wireless router though.
Yeah this is the worst. Half the time I can't even get pages to load, a constant connection for a game? Not gunna happen.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Adultism said:
So the last 3 days in a row I've had techs from AT&T come into my home and "fix" whatever this problem is. I guess it started with the fact that I have 5 bars, but my connection drops in and out repeatedly which ends up usually disconnecting all devices in the house for up to 20 seconds. After today they said that it WAS my wireless devices causing the problems, which I doubht 100%. They told me they set it up and fixed whatever the problem was but avoided giving me direct details mostly saying that it was my fault for using wireless to game (which they put the box on the other side of the house. How am I sposto plug a cable in all the way across the house into a xbox one and a pc, also my Ethernet port is busted on my computer so it requires wireless.)

So pretty much what the problem is is that despite a stable connection it drops in and out repeatably 24/7 which completely stops my gaming.

Sooo, advice please?
Advice? At get your own Router and Modem and drop the stuff AT&T gives you, then learn how to set it up correctly(not hard, all AT&T should need is the MAC address for the new modem to use for your account, then give them their equipment back), then never let the technicians from an ISP touch it. A better solution if Charter provides cable in your area, go with them, get spectrum, but make sure your modem and router are your own. Also if you go to get your own router, make sure it's OpenWRT compatible, and flash OpenWRT firmware over the factory stuff.

Half of the problem you're gonna run into is packets being stored in memory at any rate. If you can log into the router look up how to change this, lower the quality of service, so that you can actually drop packets, rather than letting the router get backlogged with expired packets. It's still better to use OpenWRT though, as the new transfer algorithm it uses has much less overhead than the two standard ones that essentially everything out of the box uses.

Simply put AT&T is terrible ISP, worse than almost any other. You need to be able to buy and use your own equipment, because the stuff ISPs rent/lend you are always crap. You need to set up your own equipment(it's easy to do). And you should use third party OpenWRT firmware because CoDel is better in every way compared to tail drop. The very least you should do is prevent your router from using it's memory to store packets so you can avoid buffer bloat, which is almost certainly what's causing your problems.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
LucasGrimms said:
All I can offer is my own experience with at&t.

I keep getting at&t uverse ads in my mailbox, so I call corperate to complain on two occassions(yes I waited the 30 day bullcrap). Then One night I get home at midnight to a "Sorry we missed you for an appointment, please contact your personal representative at (insert number)" stickey note on my door.

I call the guy at midnight, (yes, it was his personal home number, yes I woke him up.) And tell him I dont want it, never asked for it, and if I get one more ad, im contacting the BBB for harrassment.

Then I ***** and moan all over thier facebook, and within half an hour, a facebook at&t rep resolves my issue.

Three days ago, I got another ad for at&t uverse.
*HEADSLAM*
I laughed so hard, not at your misfortune, but at the sheer number of problems people have with AT&T. That really sucks man but hey, you can just throw them away. However, them showing up at your house is a whole fucking different ballpark. Honestly I never want to deal with AT&T again.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Adultism said:

Sooo, advice please?
Advice? At get your own Router and Modem and drop the stuff AT&T gives you, then learn how to set it up correctly(not hard, all AT&T should need is the MAC address for the new modem to use for your account, then give them their equipment back), then never let the technicians from an ISP touch it. A better solution if Charter provides cable in your area, go with them, get spectrum, but make sure your modem and router are your own. Also if you go to get your own router, make sure it's OpenWRT compatible, and flash OpenWRT firmware over the factory stuff.

Half of the problem you're gonna run into is packets being stored in memory at any rate. If you can log into the router look up how to change this, lower the quality of service, so that you can actually drop packets, rather than letting the router get backlogged with expired packets. It's still better to use OpenWRT though, as the new transfer algorithm it uses has much less overhead than the two standard ones that essentially everything out of the box uses.

Simply put AT&T is terrible ISP, worse than almost any other. You need to be able to buy and use your own equipment, because the stuff ISPs rent/lend you are always crap. You need to set up your own equipment(it's easy to do). And you should use third party OpenWRT firmware because CoDel is better in every way compared to tail drop. The very least you should do is prevent your router from using it's memory to store packets so you can avoid buffer bloat, which is almost certainly what's causing your problems.
SO I Didn't understand half of what you were saying, mostly because I'm a scrublord when it comes to anything computers (despite growing up on the damn things) but I got a tech buddy who I'm going to talk about this too. Show him this thread and all.