Need help picking a race

Gormech

May 10, 2012
I say go with the Kajite or whatever way it's spelled.

Just think, you can slowly sneak up on someone for the kill while humming nyan cat to yourself really slowly.

That is all.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Geth Reich said:
Damn ninja'd.

Ah well, I prefer Dark Elves. They've essentially been demonized among the Mer races as heretics and among the others races for their fierce isolationism and slave keeping, making them outsiders in most circles. Plus their natural tendencies towards general reserved snideness and dickishness make them the type to be instantly regarded with suspicion, giving me plenty of flexibility in terms of general morally gray antisocial behavior.

On that note Orcs are also fine substitutes (it's a shame that I find that so few people I know ever roll an orc character).

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
Gottesstrafe said:
Geth Reich said:
Damn ninja'd.

Ah well, I prefer Dark Elves. They've essentially been demonized among the Mer races as heretics and among the others races for their fierce isolationism and slave keeping, making them outsiders in most circles. Plus their natural tendencies towards general reserved snideness and dickishness make them the type to be instantly regarded with suspicion, giving me plenty of flexibility in terms of general morally gray antisocial behavior.
Ve iz der master race!

Personally I loathe Elves in all their self-righteous, point-eared, sissy forms. And it totally has nothing to do with a series of crushing defeats I suffered in Warhammer Fantasy at the hands of a friend playing Dark Elves.

<__>

<__>

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
chickenhound said:
pony! oh wait that mod isn't out yet

I agree with going with argonian

Random berk said:
As badass as Argonians are, consider this; if your Argonian has horns, how pissed off will you be that the horns glitch out every time he puts on a hood, helmet or basically any kind of headgear?.
as for that there's a mod for that if you own a pc its called horns are forever is even on the steam workshop so installing is easy
Xbox, unfortunately.

As for the whole roleplaying thing, I have to say it doesn't work for me on single player games like this. By only going down certain questlines or sticking to a defined morality, you just deny yourself loot with no real advantage to it, particularly in Skyrim where no one cares if you're good or evil. My own Argonian would have just been a completely blank- though admittedly awesome looking- mannequin if I hadn't used him in one of the RPs one this site. There he actually developed a backstory and personality- born into slavery in Cyrodiil, where he killed his master and escaped, living a life of banditry and coming to hate all humans, particularly Imperials, and in the thirty or so years after he defeated Alduin, he came to believe that he was above all mortals, and became bored and jaded without his destiny to fulfill, so he started doing random adventuring and mercenary work to find a sense of purpose, before the events of the RP thread. That might have influenced my play style a little if I hadn't already completed the game with him.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Ignoring aestetics and focusing on skills they are best suited for:

Kajit: Sneak-Theif Alchemists
Orc: Heavy Infantry
Red Guards: Typical Spellswords
Woodelves: Stealthy Archers
Nords: Lightly Armoured Zweihanders
Imperials: Clerics
Highelves: Offensive Wizards
Bretons: Defensive Wizards
Dark Elves: Stealthy Spellswords
Argonians: Melee Thiefs

Applejack

Aug 1, 2010
Easton Dark said:
Argonians suuuUUuUck.

Dark Elf all the way across the sky. Slinks through the night with his robe and wizard hat black gear, red eyes piercing the darkness.
Dark Elf has fire resistance thats nice for fighting the inevital dragons you will be facing.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Hm well did you have a specific playstyle in mind? Because I think you can make any race look sort of badass with the right gear or some scars. Hence I would just picture how exactly I would hunt daemons and than pick a race that is good at those skills.

When talking about a skyrim daemonhunter I personally think of a mysterious figure that uses a variety of deadly tools, all of them tailored to specific situations. Like silver arrows, freezing traps etc. And he would have some daemon-ish features of his own to show he is constantly dealing with things everyday farmers only ever see in nightmares.
Therefore I'd definantly go with a dark elf because of the red eyes and large range of offensive natural aptitudes (a.k.a. starting bonuses): blades, (cross)bows and destructo-magic.
But really, you could use any skill and come up with a reason why it's a deamonhunter must-have.
Smithing? Well you don't wanna be facing a daemon with a dull blade now do you?
Restoration? Well it's kind of a high risk job so without self-heals you won't last a week!
And so on...

Though I'm afraid the biggest problem you'll face is content limitations. Because unless you found some kind of daemon hunting mod there really isn't that much content where a deamonhunter would fit. It's just gonna be the same ol' thieves guild, fighters guild, mages guild and dark brotherhood.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
dragsaw said:
So im trying to make a badass deamonhunter in skyrim but i can not pick a race to play as im sick of nords, the main thing i want is how badass they look in a black hood
Dude is this even a question for you? Dark elf man....

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
On the topic of argonian names:

Argonians are amazing for names. Because of names like "Skink-in-Tree's-Shade" (this example was from Oblivion) you can freely use names like "Skirt-Lifting-Rascal" or "He-who-Growls-at-Cats" and still completely fit in, setting-wise.

Granted, these are NOT actual good names, but they ARE amusing.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
CAPTCHA said:
Ignoring aestetics and focusing on skills they are best suited for:

Kajit: Sneak-Theif Alchemists
Orc: Heavy Infantry
Red Guards: Typical Spellswords
Woodelves: Stealthy Archers
Nords: Lightly Armoured Zweihanders
Imperials: Clerics
Highelves: Offensive Wizards
Bretons: Defensive Wizards
Dark Elves: Stealthy Spellswords
Argonians: Melee Thiefs
But the thing is, the skills you start out with are more or less basic suggestions. If you get the Guardian Stone buff you want and just keep practising, you'll usually power through the skillgap very quickly. Even faster if you spend all of your dungeoneering money on training.

Of course, it'll be slightly faster to just stick with the raceroll, but you won't gimp yourself if you head off in another direction.

bliebblob said:
Though I'm afraid the biggest problem you'll face is content limitations. Because unless you found some kind of daemon hunting mod there really isn't that much content where a deamonhunter would fit. It's just gonna be the same ol' thieves guild, fighters guild, mages guild and dark brotherhood.
Hmm, that's true, you do tend to get stuck into a pidgeonhole faction-wise, but I usually just go with the roleplay/pretend solution.
You could pretend that your demon hunter character joined up with the Dark Brotherhood not out of profit or because he wish to serve Sithis. He could be doing it because it allows him entry in a faction with plenty of eyes and ears across Skyrim, and because he wants to keep a close eye on those crafty assassins in person.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Muspelheim said:
bliebblob said:
Hmm, that's true, you do tend to get stuck into a pidgeonhole faction-wise, but I usually just go with the roleplay/pretend solution.
You could pretend that your demon hunter character joined up with the Dark Brotherhood not out of profit or because he wish to serve Sithis. He could be doing it because it allows him entry in a faction with plenty of eyes and ears across Skyrim, and because he wants to keep a close eye on those crafty assassins in person.
That never works for me because the game in no way accommodates your imaginations. All you can really do is make a custom class and call it a daemonhunter. (In skyrim you can't even do that) After that it's just gonna be wolves, bears and bandits again no matter what skills you picked.
The same goes for the stories and the guilds: 99% of what you inevitably will end up doing won't have anything to do with hunting daemons. So sooner or later the illusion is shattered and you realize you're in no meaningful way a deamonhunter. You're just a dark elf with a bow and 2 destro spells :(

Sure, you can come up with explanations like "He's fallen on hard times and has to do odd jobs besides daemon hunting" but that won't fix the fact that you're doing the same things as any other character you ever made, just with different skills.