Need help remembering the name of a long lost game.

Mr_Powers

Jul 11, 2008
I've been brooding over this for a while now and for the life of me I can't for the life of me remember what the heck this game was called. I just know I played it long ago and enjoyed it and would like to see if I can again. Any suggestions or aid would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I can recall of the game:

-Its old, I think it came with my first computer in like 1998 or close to there.
-It was a top down shooter and or 2.5D.
-It was divided into different levels and missions, its not in a fixed arena.
-The player controlled a central guy, not a space ship or anything like that.
-The player character only had one gun, but by killing baddies he could collect different power ups that gave the one gun different kinds of ammo. It just shot little pellets to start with but then it got better to shoot different things like flames, insti-death beams, plasma bullets, and this one ammo type that when you got more of it, it shot in a wider and wider fan of bullets.
-I'm pretty sure the game could be played with two people using the same keyboard.
-I'm 99% sure the title of the game starts with the letter "R"
*EDIT*-It was on PC.

I know that this game ISN'T Crimsonland, which is amazing by the way, but it is done in a somewhat simpler style, the main difference is that the game I'm looking for doesn't take place in an "arena" like Crimsonland, but rather is in long levels.

Please help if you can, this is really starting to irritate me!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Mr_Powers said:
Do you mean isometric like Diablo? This would make sense with it being a very popular style at the time.

I had a quick mooch around the mobygames database and found this possible one for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltkbL8I9K_E

Mr_Powers

Jul 11, 2008
More Fun To Compute said:
Mr_Powers said:
Do you mean isometric like Diablo? This would make sense with it being a very popular style at the time.

I had a quick mooch around the mobygames database and found this possible one for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltkbL8I9K_E
Yes, it is isometric like Diablo.

And that game, Reloaded was a great guess, but it's not it. The game I'm trying to find is a lot like that except it's a bit darker and less cartoony.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Mr_Powers said:

And that game, Reloaded was a great guess, but it's not it. The game I'm trying to find is a lot like that except it's a bit darker and less cartoony.
I wasn't playing too many of those games at that time. If it was Syndicate, Cannon Fodder or the Chaos Engine I might have called it.

Syndicate Wars was dark but had four characters to control. I think the Crusader games by Origin might be in the same ball park.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Mr_Powers said:

I wasn't playing too many of those games at that time. If it was Syndicate, Cannon Fodder or the Chaos Engine I might have called it.

Syndicate Wars was dark but had four characters to control. I think the Crusader games by Origin might be in the same ball park.
Chaos Engine was awesome

Mr_Powers

Jul 11, 2008
generic gamer said:
it sounds almost like "mercs"

its a pity you didn't specify exact age, we on the escapist seem to have wildly differing notions of "old". any ideas on that?
I'm like 90% sure that I would have gotten it within a year or two of 1998, and just from a quick glance it did look similar to mercs, but it was definitely newer, and played in a 3D environment, just with the camera isometric.

Mr_Powers said:

From what I just looked up, Crusader is again pretty close, but like I said its in a 3D or at least 3Dish environment. Also Crusaders looks kinda awesome, if nothing else there are still being good old games listed.

And I realize now I should have probably mentioned that the game was definitely for PC. It might have been on others too, but I played it on PC.