Need help with cleaning computer case

incisor13

Mar 18, 2012

Hi this is my case, as you can see the front LED part is where my problem is as I've tried using a toothbrush but it was taking too long and didn't get all of the dust out.
Can someone with my case tell me how they get the dust out of theirs? Thankyou.

BazaarFawkes

May 12, 2013
Is that case chassis from Cooler Master? The fans and LED lights look so similar to my HAF 912. xD

Anyway, can you remove the front side of the case? Generally speaking, you can then remove the dust filter and wipe it clean directly.
If you're talking about the front metal grating then, likewise, remove the front plates, make sure the backside of it is facing the ground and then wipe the front metal grates with a cloth. Reason for that being if the dust falls off from the back it'll drop on the ground rather than in your chassis.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
Use one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_duster

This is the "real" way to clean a computer case.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
As has been mentioned, compressed air cans and vacuum cleaners are a good way to go. Personally on my vacuum I have a step down attachment to a smaller hose that I can add a soft brush nozzle to which is great for rubbing off and sucking up dust that is really clingy. An actual air compressor works well too.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
AWAR said:
Best method by far :p
Oh god wat.
I'm not sure what's more distressing, the fact that he's using a goddamn leaf blower, or that he actually might need it given the hurricane of dust billowing out of that case!

incisor13

Mar 18, 2012
yeokso said:
Is that case chassis from Cooler Master? The fans and LED lights look so similar to my HAF 912. xD

Anyway, can you remove the front side of the case? Generally speaking, you can then remove the dust filter and wipe it clean directly.
If you're talking about the front metal grating then, likewise, remove the front plates, make sure the backside of it is facing the ground and then wipe the front metal grates with a cloth. Reason for that being if the dust falls off from the back it'll drop on the ground rather than in your chassis.
Yes it's a cooler Master but unfortunately you can't remove the front side of the case(none of it)

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
xXSnowyXx said:
As has been mentioned, compressed air cans and vacuum cleaners are a good way to go. Personally on my vacuum I have a step down attachment to a smaller hose that I can add a soft brush nozzle to which is great for rubbing off and sucking up dust that is really clingy. An actual air compressor works well too.
Sorry to interject, but is it safe to use a vaccum? I read that they can have static build up do to all the moving parts inside, and im no expert but i alawys heard static + computers is a no go? Just wondering what your thoughts are.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
I've been using vacuum cleaners for years with no problems whatsoever.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Rosiv said:
Sorry to interject, but is it safe to use a vaccum? I read that they can have static build up do to all the moving parts inside, and im no expert but i alawys heard static + computers is a no go? Just wondering what your thoughts are.
Well vacuum heads are usually made of hard plastic or metal so to avoid damage you don't necessarily want to be bumping into the actual components if at all possible. But yeah, from what I understand vacuum cleaners can produce a static shock, though what precisely causes the build-up or whether the build up is within the vacuum or yourself using it I'm not sure (I've ever even noticed it myself...maybe it's the lack of carpet here). Regardless, when in doubt - ground everything.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
xXSnowyXx said:
Rosiv said:
Well vacuum heads are usually made of hard plastic or metal so to avoid damage you don't necessarily want to be bumping into the actual components if at all possible. But yeah, from what I understand vacuum cleaners can produce a static shock, though what precisely causes the build-up or whether the build up is within the vacuum or yourself using it I'm not sure (I've ever even noticed it myself...maybe it's the lack of carpet here). Regardless, when in doubt - ground everything.
I feel dumb, but how would a ground myself? Touching metal objects attached to what? Walls or the ground? Because i have carpet flooring and a wood door with a metal handle. I assume that would ground me?

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Rosiv said:
I feel dumb, but how would a ground myself? Touching metal objects attached to what? Walls or the ground? Because i have carpet flooring and a wood door with a metal handle. I assume that would ground me?
Probably the best ground would be your computer chassis when it's plugged in since it should be connected to the ground through the third prong of your power outlet even if it is switched off at the wall (which it obviously should be). It wouldn't hurt to get one of those wrist straps designed to discharge to the chassis if you're worried about continued static build up while you're working.

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
incisor13 said:
yeokso said:

Yes it's a cooler Master but unfortunately you can't remove the front side of the case(none of it)
Cooler Master Storm? I have the same case, and you should definitely be able to detatch the front panel. Try removing the side panel and feeling around the inside of the front panel for some plastic tabs, you'll have to press in three of them on each side before you can remove the front. The tabs on the farther side may be harder to reach but once you've pressed the first three you can shift the panel around a bit to loosen the others more easily. When you pull the front off a cord will stil be attached, but should be long enough that it won't get in the way. At this point, you should be able to remove and clean the front filter.

I do this maybe once a month, and vacuum the front every week or so to keep it relatively dust-free.