Need help with gaming rig

smoothgoing down

Dec 19, 2008
Hi everyone. I'm a long time watcher, first time poster. I'm looking for a new gaming computer to play some of the more intensive games (e.g. Crysis). I'm not very deft at building my own system, but wanted to get a feeler for what this one will do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883239007&Tpk=Velocity%20Micro%20E2250
BestBuy has the same one, but at about $500 more.

If I want to run dual cards (SLI?) how close does the 2nd one need to be? Exactly the same?

Right now I'm rocking a dual core AMD, with 2 gig Ram and an older GeForce card, so I could use the boost.

Thanks in advance.

Gotham Soul

Aug 12, 2008
One of ATI's Radeon 4850s is sufficient for graphics. You can crossfire them if you want, and you'll be able to blow Crysis' graphics out of the water.

However, I refer you to the good man known as Eggo.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
I got a radeon HD 4870 and so far I can run anything but crisis on full settings, If you used 2 4800 series cards then you could probably play anything even crisis.

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
smoothgoing down said:
Hi everyone. I'm a long time watcher, first time poster. I'm looking for a new gaming computer to play some of the more intensive games (e.g. Crysis). I'm not very deft at building my own system, but wanted to get a feeler for what this one will do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883239007&Tpk=Velocity%20Micro%20E2250
BestBuy has the same one, but at about $500 more.

If I want to run dual cards (SLI?) how close does the 2nd one need to be? Exactly the same?

Right now I'm rocking a dual core AMD, with 2 gig Ram and an older GeForce card, so I could use the boost.

Thanks in advance.
What's the current motherboard in your PC? And what type of power supply?

You could easily do all this yourself if you have the motherboard that supports it. Everything from changing out the power supply to upgrading the memory and graphics card is really easy. The only sticking point is the processor and heatsink/fan. But as long as you are careful and can read directions (a.k.a. cook a pop tart) you can do all this yourself.

And, if your motherboard supports it, you can overclock it and squeeze some additional FPS out of it.

However, if it's just a standard intel board, you're probably SOL.

Personally, I don't think SLI is worth it unless you're a hardcore FPS freak who plays Crysis at 1680x1050 (or higher) and wants to get 50+ FPS out of it. Or you just like to brag about your 3D mark score. There are plenty of single cards out there that can get the job done for 95% of the gaming community.

smoothgoing down

Dec 19, 2008
I'm at work right now, so I'm unable to give you details as to the individual components. I'll update as soon as I get home.