Need new music.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
rcs619 said:
That One Six said:
rcs619 said:
Ayreon (A progressive-rock/metal kind of band. Individual singers represent different characters and their albums each have an overarching story. Many of their albums also connect to one another in some way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_z4LTWvpOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsA7sowKO5E

Star One (A side-project of the man behind Ayreon. Star One makes songs based on famous sci-fi movies and television shows. Everything from Star Wars, to Dune, to 2001 and more)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVInYWs8ZU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRYt_YusG3E

Sci-fi metal space-operas? Oh hell yes. Good metal never died, it just up and moved to Europe.
I'm glad someone else likes Arjen Lucassen! But you should have linked up some Human Equation and Electric Castle for Ayreon... =P My girlfriend just got me the Timeline compilation album, signed by Arjen no less, for Valentine's Day.
So many choices D: If I wanted to start putting up all my favorite songs from them, the entire post would have just been Ayreon, lol.

For the record, The Human Equation is my favorite Ayreon album ^^

Iron Savior's storytelling isn't quite as polished, but I think their music makes up for it in intensity. "Thunderbird" gets me so pumped.
Human Equation is amazing. Arjen is releasing a solo album in a couple months, if you didn't know. Rutger Hauer is narrating it.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I have [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.346790-Awesome-Uplifting-Music?page=1"]two[/a] [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.348242-Post-your-favorite-music-video?page=1"]threads[/a] that you can go through for some music. I would also highly recommend that anyone posting a video directly onto this thread put it into the spoiler tag. That said, here are a couple of extra songs for you to also enjoy.
[

personaitor

Aug 25, 2010
Two words: Bastion Soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDWzu5yxLg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL9D0DDCC5DA35F5BB

If you haven't heard this game's amazing music, then why haven't you bought the game yet? no, seriously, go buy the game right now if you've never played it. Regardless, the music is nothing short of amazing, and i highly recommend it (and for Pete's sake don't pirate indie games, or indie anything. It just hurts everything.)

Link is a playlist of it.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
That One Six said:
Human Equation is amazing. Arjen is releasing a solo album in a couple months, if you didn't know. Rutger Hauer is narrating it.
I was about to ask how that would work, but then I remembered that Arjen can play like eleven different instruments. The guy ain't human. I think he's some kind of dutch musical experiment gone rogue =P

Definitely going to have to look that up though. Can't go wrong with anything involving Arjen Lucassen.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
rcs619 said:
That One Six said:
I was about to ask how that would work, but then I remembered that Arjen can play like eleven different instruments. The guy ain't human. I think he's some kind of dutch musical experiment gone rogue =P

Definitely going to have to look that up though. Can't go wrong with anything involving Arjen Lucassen.
Here's a sampling of the music, as well as the album title and cover art.

Sep 11, 2009
Tiger Sora said:
Song: Discord.
By Super Ponybeat (Eurobeat)
Eurobeat/techno/dance/house/trance/rock/dubstep/polka/Pony.
Internet music artist.
There, fixed the genres for you. Yes, that song is amalgamation of all those genres (I even left some out). Just as Discord would've wanted.

217not237 said:
That's actually... kinda awesome!
Here, have a remix.
That one has a more techno-ish feel to it.

If electro isn't your thing.
You know what, have my entire playlist, with everything from dubstep to orchestral. And it's all pony.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6789317F92B4097D

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
I gotta drop some Voltaire in here.

That's just a few of the many great songs of Voltaire.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
ugh, you people keep forgetting Blind Guardian. I'll also throw in some other fun stuff.

General Ken8

May 18, 2009
triggrhappy94 said:
Nyaoku said:
I kind of like the stuff by Gorillaz.
Feel Good inc.
DARE
Clint Eastwood
Just to name a few.
November Has Come and Rock the House are some of my favorite song by them
mostly because of the line, "It's awfully groovy seeing all the treasure and the booty."
Makes me laugh every time.
For me, it's Superfast Jellyfish. That song cracks me up

But if you want a great band that not many people have actually listened to beyond one song (Ultimate Showdown) then try Lemon Demon, particularly View-Monster. Well written, funny, extremely catchy, plus it's like 23 songs. Here's one of my favorites
And believe me, this isn't a typical song of theirs. Every single one is wildly different

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Rhapsody of Fire. You can't get any more epic with fantasy symphonic metal.

Grog289

Sep 1, 2011
I love my indie/folk stuff, check out
Mumford and Sons
Frank Turner
The Decemberists
Okkervil River

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
personaitor said:
Two words: Bastion Soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDWzu5yxLg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL9D0DDCC5DA35F5BB

If you haven't heard this game's amazing music, then why haven't you bought the game yet? no, seriously, go buy the game right now if you've never played it. Regardless, the music is nothing short of amazing, and i highly recommend it (and for Pete's sake don't pirate indie games, or indie anything. It just hurts everything.)

Link is a playlist of it.
hmmmm well Im sure it will be some fluffy orchastral peice or somthing...

*listens to song*

holy shit that was BADASS! I would buy the game but its not availible on PSN :(

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Damn... I got to say, I wasn't expecting this many responses! =0
Thanks to you all. I'll try to take my time and eventually listen to all of them.

Also, please keep the suggestions coming if you have any, I'll use this thread as my "new music to listen to" -library.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
First off, if you haven't listened to Radiohead, Muse, Led Zeppelin or the Beatles seriously yet, do so. Those are my favorite bands.

And for my unknown band I'll go with Movits, a Swedish rap group. Saw them on the Colbert Report a few years ago and have been following them since. They are seriously awesome. I wish I knew Swedish just to listen to these guys.

EDIT: Also, King's X

Apparently I get all my music from Comedy Central news anchors.

Another edit:

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
I've recently been introduced to the band Equilibrium. In my opinion their album Sagas is one of the greatest albums of the last decade. Here are two of my favorites from it; "Wurzelbert" and "Mana".

The friend who introduced me to this band wants "Mana" played at his funeral.

And here's another piece of music I've been listening to a lot, "Chambermaid Swing" by Parov Stelar.

EDIT: Two more. My favorite Zeppelin song, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You".

Also this song, which has been on every playlist of mine since I heard it playing at the end of an episode of Sons of Anarchy.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
What follows are a list of sick-awesome bands and artists-

Primordial
Hammers of Misfortune
Turisas
Behemoth
Corsair
The Protomen
The World Inferno/Friendship Society
Ghost
The Devil's Blood
Darkest Era
Blood Ceremony
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
Roky Erikson
Amanda Palmer
The Dresden Dolls
Comus
Shearwater
Okkervil River
Watain

And that's all for now!

Direbaka

Jul 10, 2010
I have noticed that a whole lot of people are posting individual songs or bands. What I would say, if you want to just find new stuff you might be interested in, is to go to somafm.com and listen to some of their stations. There are quite a few different online radio stations through that site ranging from electronica to indie to country to... well... quite a bit. I've been listening to the 480 minutes station for a while, and have heard a lot of music I didn't ever hear before and some I rather like.

All free (they run off of donations) so go check it out. somafm.com

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
My favorite music is typically 80s punk/alternative type music or the louder corners of today's indie scene. Here are some of my favorite albums from these general categories

Minutemen- Double Nickels on the Dime
Jane's Addiction- Nothing's Shocking
Japandroids- Post Nothing
Marnie Stern- Marnie Stern
Nick Cave- Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus

If you like rap or R&B or stuff like that, Das Racist and The Weeknd have some very good mixtapes available for free