Need some help! Random Event Chart Items!

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Greetings compatriots!

I am building a random event chart for my campaign and I need random wacky things that happen 5% of the time someone rolls a d20. At the start of the session I roll a d20 and that is the 'magic number.' If it is rolled during a skill check or an attack roll, the player rolls a percentile die, and something strange happens.

Some of my favorites include the player becoming the DM for 15 seconds, a multispectral haze washing over the party changing their attributes (size, sex, race, etc.), and the force dragon of GTFO showing up. What else would be funny? All suggestions welcome!

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
Have you ever heard of the Grog of Substantial Whimsy? Here's the link:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grog_of_Susbtantial_Whimsy_(3.5e_Equipment)

It's essentially a list of 1000 random effects, some wackier than others. It should be a good resource for rounding out your chart.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Rain of pissed off honey badgers.

Alternatively, player gets attacked by a howler monkey that will not let go nor stop howling for four turns. Any attempts to remove the howler monkey will be met with another howler monkey.

I could probably think of more stupid, random effects, but I'm wanting to go to bed.

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
Well, the most direct way to fuck with them is to give a player a wish. Perhaps the wish expires in an hour but for an hour they can have anything they want. I have had an entire party tpk'd because someone was stupid with this though, so be careful.

Alternatively, if you are in it for the long haul, give them control over a large group of people. It could be anything from army command, to controlling a village. Really, positions of power and player characters mix about as well as phosphorus and air. Lulz will be had.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Captainguy42 said:
Have you ever heard of the Grog of Substantial Whimsy? Here's the link:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Grog_of_Susbtantial_Whimsy_(3.5e_Equipment)

It's essentially a list of 1000 random effects, some wackier than others. It should be a good resource for rounding out your chart.
That is a substantial boon to me, and a wonderful start!

I change the chart for every "age" of my campaign, so new stuff is always sought out. Do you have any personal favorites? Bending reality a little isn't against the rules.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Fijiman said:
Rain of pissed off honey badgers.

Alternatively, player gets attacked by a howler monkey that will not let go nor stop howling for four turns. Any attempts to remove the howler monkey will be met with another howler monkey.

I could probably think of more stupid, random effects, but I'm wanting to go to bed.
Both noted! I hope you share more once you relieve yourself of your unconscious state.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
drmigit2 said:
Well, the most direct way to fuck with them is to give a player a wish. Perhaps the wish expires in an hour but for an hour they can have anything they want. I have had an entire party tpk'd because someone was stupid with this though, so be careful.

Alternatively, if you are in it for the long haul, give them control over a large group of people. It could be anything from army command, to controlling a village. Really, positions of power and player characters mix about as well as phosphorus and air. Lulz will be had.
In the previous age of my campaign there was a chance their critical would result in the white dragon of wishful thinking arriving and granting one wish. Lulz WERE had, but it also resulted in some serious critical farming. I am going to be reluctant to reintroduce wishes into my chart without lowering the chance of it popping up.

The current age is one of chaos and fractured infrastructure. Almost any following would shift substantial power behind them...

Noted.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
dietpeachsnapple said:
Both noted! I hope you share more once you relieve yourself of your unconscious state.
Ask and you shall receive.

Living Lantern - affected player emits a light illuminates every nook and cranny within a twenty foot radius, even through walls. Lasts for three turns and can not be removed.[sub]can you say increased enemy encounters?[/sub]

Curse of Half Invisibility - Affected player becomes half invisible for six turns. Roll 1 D6 to determine what is turned invisible.(1=upper half; 2=left side; 3=front half; 4=lower half; 5=right side; 6=back half)

Eyes of the Kaleidoscope - Player's vision is impeded by a kaleidoscope effect for the next three encounters.

Looter's luck - Chances of finding magical items is increased 20%, however, chance of those items being cursed magical items is increased by 50% and the chance of it exploding upon first use is increased by 80%.

That's all I got for now.