need some help with D&D!!!

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
ok so i need to build a lvl5 monk using 4.0 rules problem is i dont know 4.0 rules that well(concerning monks i know the basics) and lets just say my DM isnt very reasonable about using 3.5 characters.(went ballistic on me for even asking...) now while i dislike the DM i like the others involved so i will play with these guys even if i have to use 4.0 rules. my rolls are as follows,18,18,15, 16,12,and 17. any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Maddenfreak

Jul 15, 2008
hmmm, well i own alot of 4.0 books, and it can get quite complicated. unless you have the books themselves the internet would be your best option. (I'd tell you right here, but alas i had to leave my books at home while im in college) try http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-4Th-Edition-Dungeons-and-Dragons-Character

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
ecoho said:
ok so i need to build a lvl5 monk using 4.0 rules problem is i dont know 4.0 rules that well an lets just say my DM isnt very reasonable about using 3.5 characters.(went ballistic on me for even asking...)
In defense of the DM, the systems are so different I don't see how you could use a 3.5 character in a 4.0 game.

Using 4.0? That I can't defend, :) but characters from different rules systems just don't mix.

Takuanuva

Jun 12, 2011
My advice:
Find another DM.
Other than that, I can't really help you, though it might be the best solution...

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Takuanuva said:
My advice:
Find another DM.
Other than that, I can't really help you, though it might be the best solution...
This.

And why would anyone not use 3.5? But seriously, the game will suck if you and the DM don't get along. My advice is to talk a couple of your buddies into doing a 3.5 game instead. At least then you'll be having fun with your buddies.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
ecoho said:
ok so i need to build a lvl5 monk using 4.0 rules problem is i dont know 4.0 rules that well an lets just say my DM isnt very reasonable about using 3.5 characters.(went ballistic on me for even asking...) now while i dislike the DM i like the others involved so i will play with these guys even if i have to use 4.0 rules. my rolls are as follows,18,18,15, 16,12,and 17. any help would be greatly appreciated:)
First off, slap your DM. 4e sucks. 3.5 is infinitely superior.

If you want help with stats:

STR: 17
DEX: 18
CON: 16
INT: 15
WIS: 18
CHA: 12

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Takuanuva said:
My advice:
Find another DM.
This here is what we call good advice.
I've played games with people I like and a DM that was the colored end of a baboon. I'm not trying to troll or anything but that's really going to hamper your enjoyment of the game.
4.0 rules aren't that bad, except when they are called D&D, but that aside I don't think there is to great a difference in basic builds between 3.5 & 4.0. The numbers are good so just find abilities that you like or fit your character idea.
I have found that making 4.0 characters above 1st to be far more time consuming than it should be.
Best of luck with the DM and sorry for a lack of useful input.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Hungry Donner said:
ecoho said:
ok so i need to build a lvl5 monk using 4.0 rules problem is i dont know 4.0 rules that well an lets just say my DM isnt very reasonable about using 3.5 characters.(went ballistic on me for even asking...)
In defense of the DM, the systems are so different I don't see how you could use a 3.5 character in a 4.0 game.

Using 4.0? That I can't defend, :) but characters from different rules systems just don't mix.
I sometimes use this to get my DM mad; I'll make my character in Pathfinder rules when he wants a 3.5 campaign. True, they are similar, but I like to take advantage of every difference in the system. And my friends support my use of the character because one is a pathfinder fan (and the best troll I have ever met) and the rest honestly believe there are no significant differences between the systems. Of course the reason my friend and I mess with this DM is because he HATES any kind of rule deviation but usually lets us use them if it's the only way we'll let him DM. Often enough he bans magic. So... build a character with spell-like abilities or an alchemist. He's very easy to beat with technicalities.

My reminiscence had no purpose, but it was fun and somewhat on-topic.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
Takuanuva said:
My advice:
Find another DM.
This.

And why would anyone not use 3.5? But seriously, the game will suck if you and the DM don't get along. My advice is to talk a couple of your buddies into doing a 3.5 game instead. At least then you'll be having fun with your buddies.
problem is small town and he has all the books. if your wondering why i dont just ask him for help i really dont want to give his the satisfaction.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
ecoho said:
sir.rutthed said:
Takuanuva said:
My advice:
Find another DM.
This.

problem is small town and he has all the books. if your wondering why i dont just ask him for help i really dont want to give his the satisfaction.
Try an online game then. I'm running a Star Wars game over Google+ Hangout with some college buddies right now. It's a lot of fun; almost as much fun as RP in person.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
I'd say roll a Diplomacy check on your DM to convince him to let you use 3.5 rules instead. Failing that, put up your dukes, Monk.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
ecoho said:
sir.rutthed said:
Takuanuva said:
My advice:
Find another DM.
This.

Try an online game then. I'm running a Star Wars game over Google+ Hangout with some college buddies right now. It's a lot of fun; almost as much fun as RP in person.
lol i tried that once but i have problems with spelling so people tend to not let me play things like that online.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
WaywardHaymaker said:
I'd say roll a Diplomacy check on your DM to convince him to let you use 3.5 rules instead. Failing that, put up your dukes, Monk.
lol i would need a 20 just for him to hear me out! not worth the trouble.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
ecoho said:
sir.rutthed said:
ecoho said:
sir.rutthed said:
Takuanuva said:
My advice:
Find another DM.
This.

lol i tried that once but i have problems with spelling so people tend to not let me play things like that online.
Don't gotta worry about spelling in a video conference. I'd look into Google+ or Skype gaming if I were you.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
ecoho said:
WaywardHaymaker said:
lol i would need a 20 just for him to hear me out! not worth the trouble.
You could just take the 20. I mean, you'll be trying for as long as it takes anyway and neither the problem or the DM will be going anywhere so (By 3.5e AND, I think, 4e rules) you can just assume you'll eventually roll a 20 and win.

Problem solved, my friend.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
ecoho said:
ok so i need to build a lvl5 monk using 4.0 rules problem is i dont know 4.0 rules that well an lets just say my DM isnt very reasonable about using 3.5 characters.(went ballistic on me for even asking...) now while i dislike the DM i like the others involved so i will play with these guys even if i have to use 4.0 rules. my rolls are as follows,18,18,15, 16,12,and 17. any help would be greatly appreciated:)
I use this [http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm] site

It's generally helpful

And 3.5 is much better, in my opinion

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Hey guys - 4E is okay. Not... you know, great or anything, but okay.

Of course, 3.5 is better.

And Pathfinder is better than 3.5

So... why not convince your DM to run a Pathfinder game instead? ^^

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
ecoho said:
sir.rutthed said:
ecoho said:
sir.rutthed said:
Takuanuva said:
My advice:
Find another DM.
This.

Don't gotta worry about spelling in a video conference. I'd look into Google+ or Skype gaming if I were you.
they want better character sheets:(
nah man ill suffer through this the other guys in the group are really fun and while im not happy with my DM for going 4.0 i wont lose him as a friend just because i want to beat him with his laptop for making me play 4.0

Calatar

May 13, 2009
You'll need access to source books to build any character. The Monk is from Player's Handbook 3, and has additional power and feat choices in Psionic Power. These should be your primary sources, although useful feats can come from nearly any source book.

This guide may help you choose from the myriad of abilities and feats.

At level 5 you will have:
2 At-Will Powers
2 Encounter Powers (lvl 1 and 3)
2 Daily Powers (lvl 1 and 5)
1 Utility Power (lvl 2)

Your hp are equal to 12+Constitution score+5*(level-1)

Hope this helps.

Ryenji

Apr 24, 2011
1. Coming from someone who has run 3.5 and 4e campaigns, 4e definitely has some advantages. The classes are a lot more balanced and each is fun to play at all levels. It is also easier to run than 3.5 and the play is more smooth, less bogged down with rules, and allows for cinematic and flexible use of player actions (as long as your DM is willing to allow players to take part in crafting the game as they play, as D&D is designed.) Skill challenges are also a brilliant addition to the game.

2. DMing is a lot of work on its own without having players trying to add or mix systems that the game design can't really handle without serious modification. It's easy for a new DM or a DM with a new group to be overwhelmed and frustrated, and DM's should be having fun too. This isn't to say that the players shouldn't be creative or attempt things the DM isn't prepared for, but don't become aggressive or angry if an idea you have isn't fully implemented. As the DM become more comfortable with the group he's more likely to allow for more freedom and become more efficient at running unscripted encounters. If your DM is happy, the group is more likely to be happy as well. Don't go into the game with any ill will and it's likely to be much more enjoyable.

3. Without knowing what kind of point system you're using, it's hard to tell, but your stats seem rather overpowered compared to the norm. If this is a custom system where the DM is prepared for more powerful players and plans his encounters accordingly, more power to you. If this isn't the case, having an all-star character can drain the fun from other players, as they feel inferior to the "star" of the group; from the DM, as his planned encounters may become trivial and he'll be forced to scale up monster difficulty, which of course makes it harder for the rest of the group who isn't as powerful; and even for the player playing that character as they never really have to strategize or work as a team and have few weaknesses. I'm a big supporter of the point-buy system for 4e for these reasons.

With that rant out of the way, the D&D wizards of the coast website has a character builder that I believe is free to use for the first few levels that should help you with your character.