Neil Gaiman Talks Swimming Pools, Regeneration, and Time Lords

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sabrestar said:
Also, Mr. Westbrook, could you please note in your articles when there are spoilers to be expected? I hadn't seen this episode yet.
I rather thought the spoiler warning was implied, but clearly not. Sorry, if I ruined it for you. :(

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Um hate to be the first, but I actually couldn't stand this episode, and felt really let down by Gaiman's writing. We had the 'silly' episode of the season last week, why do another this week?
He managed to make steampunk-themed characters unnecessarily comedic, and every scene with the TARDIS woman in it made me cringe!
This season has been a real disappointment in terms of plot-lines so far, but here's hoping they can turn it around next Saturday!

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Sabrestar said:
Also, Mr. Westbrook, could you please note in your articles when there are spoilers to be expected? I hadn't seen this episode yet.
I rather thought the spoiler warning was implied, but clearly not. Sorry, if I ruined it for you. :(
No apologies needed. :) You actually did imply it fairly well; that's what I get for reading the article when too tired and worn out from a long workday to actually think in advance "hey, maybe this is going to spoil something I haven't seen!" Perhaps if I'd bothered to think about it beforehand, I'd have realised that.

Besides, if I hadn't read it here, my coworkers would probably have spoiled the whole bloody thing this morning anyway. They're like that. :)

badducks

Mar 19, 2010
MarsProbe said:
Maybe it was just through playing Portal 2, but I somehow got a slight Portal-y vibe from House's toying with Rory and Amy aboard the Tardis. Though given his more sinister intentions, perhaps System Shock would be a more fitting comparison...
I had the same thought while watching. It did feel very much like Portal with the way House taunted Amy and Rory. :)

Am I the only one who didn't find the message quite that cryptic? fo_O I instantly assumed the river in the forest was foreshadowing that the Doctor would need River Song. I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.

I also kept wanting the woman who played the TARDIS to be Helena Bonham Carter. :( She reminded me of my mental image of Door too heh.

Slanzinger

Nov 19, 2009
As soon as I saw "Neil Gaiman" on the opening credits I knew we'd be in for a treat. And we most certainly were. An absolutely fantastic episode.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
My only real complaint about the episode was the fact that the doctor already met a personified version of the tardis in the 8th doctor audio drama "Zagreus". Mind you they were both Zagreus at the time so maybe they just don't remember it well.

I'm just justifying, keeping to continuity has never been the series strong point. I can recall at least 5 times humanity was almost destroyed by the Daleks all scheduled for some time in the next 250 years; yet they always seems to bounce back obscenely quickly.

Oh, and lets not even get onto the Collen Baker Era. I blame the writers not the actor.

Aug 21, 2010
I'm really enjoying Matt Smith as the doctor, and by the last season of David Tennant I was starting to hate what DW had become. Bad stories (in particular the over-reliance of deus ex machina plot resolutions), bad dialogue, really bad lighting (why was everything tinted red and green?), face pulling as a substitute for proper acting (especially when one gurner is paired up with an even worse one).

Now Moffat's in charge its good again.

I thought Gaiman's episode was good but not mind blowing. I think it should be a benchmark against which future episodes are judged